No announcement yet.

Ummm Help? (I know very specific)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Put something on key ring to remind you to turn off petcock at stopovers. Speaking of which, when you have time ( waiting for better weather, etc.), tell us about this westward gig- school?, job?, lady ? and tell us about the bike. Try to make us envious! good luck and RIDE SAFE.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Ok so the oil change is making me Want to hit my head against the wall, I took out the main drain plug and loosened around the filter and removed the shifter to get behind the cover but all the bolts for a Phillips are stripped and chewed up from PO and so I tried a little liquid wrench on them. Still not budging. Then to make things worse I go to tighten the filter cover again and one of the nuts is stripped. Started the thing up to see how bad it's leaking when running and as soon as it got hot it started smoking white smoke from under the engine. I filled it with the rotella 15 w40 like the welcome page said but it's never done that before. Please tell me that it's the liquid wrench remnants just cooking off... Also if I get a ride into town I sincerely hope that all I need are some replace hex nuts for the filter cover

Comment

Originally posted by Cronos View Post
        Ok so the oil change is making me Want to hit my head against the wall, I took out the main drain plug and loosened around the filter and removed the shifter to get behind the cover but all the bolts for a Phillips are stripped and chewed up from PO and so I tried a little liquid wrench on them. Still not budging. Then to make things worse I go to tighten the filter cover again and one of the nuts is stripped.
        Why are you loosening all that stuff just for an oil change?

To do a full oil change, you only need to remove the main oil drain plug and the oil filter cover. There is no need to get behind the shifter.
        I don't remember if the 650 has a secondary drain plug that is closer to the shaft drive output.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

On the 650 behind the shifter you remove a cover and There's another plug. I learned this off a friend of mine with the book and we've changed it out and gotten almost another half quart from it. That's not the issue I gave up on it for now. The biggest issues I'm worried about are the stripped nut from the filter cover and the white smoke coming from underneath the engine. I'm really hoping it's just remnants of the liquid wrench burning off but... Any other possibilities?

Comment

Do it the easy way....you're on the road for crying out loud.

Most of the oil will drain out just by releasing the filter cover. New filter's are available at Walmart which are practically everywhere these days. And oil.

If you stripped the acorn nut, not to worry either. It's a metric 8mm or 6mm...I forget, but you should be able to find a hex head replacement at home depot or a bike shop. Will get you sorted until you can order the replacement 2-ended treaded thingy....

If you can get most of the oil out, replace the filter, replace the oil w/new and off you go.

JUST BE CAREFUL with overtightening the hex bolts as you do NOT want to strip the threaded bit inside the engine...tighten hand tight and start it up. if it leaks, tighten a bit more, of not you are good to go!

Think like MacGuyver....or Mr. T....

Comment

Not sure yet but let's say worst case scenario I did strip the inside, what kinda of a pain in the ass am I looking at trying to replace?

Comment

Actually, you don't have to remove shifter cover to get at that drain bolt for drive cavity. It's a 20 mm (?) hex nut on bottom. I figured you might have missed this feature, so I wanted you to see it better. Don't worry about it now, it can be drained all by itself at later date.
                Can you add a washer(s) under the stripped stud on the filter cover? the other two nuts are secure? If it's really damaged it will need to be replaced eventually, but for now try something like a wire twisty around the stud and jam nut on stud or Maybe 1/4 inch hex nut ( slighty bigger than 6mm nut) with a wire twisty. If it bites into the stud, don't overtighen! No plastic bits cuz this area gets hot.Don't let me explain how to use a visegrip on this problem- I would be banned from site.
                McGuyver or Mr. T - yes, finesse it or subdue it!
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Alright I'll hit up an auto store and try that today. As per the other thing you'd asked about (story of what's up) should I post it in forum under general discussion? Oh and what of the smoke, any other possible culprits other than the liquid wrench?

Comment

If you can make Denver I can help you out, replace those studs or whatever.
                    Send a PM when you get close.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

As long as I can make it so the filter cover isn't bleeding oil every second I'm going to try and get on the road early in the morning and just spend the day on the road all the way in to Denver. If I start to feel fried around the stateline I might camp out. I have my iPhone on me though so I'll be able to get on here and message you. I appreciate the offer.

Comment

iphone? wow! Your adventure continues.... take TKent02's offer up- he might spot something you have overlooked in your haste. Pack an extra quart of oil, just in case. I quess you should explain your mission in the story section. Good luck and have fun safely!
                        1981 gs650L

Comment

Yeah this morning I went back to the filter cover with a clear not angry head and took the acorn nuts off and rotated them and even doing that did the trick, I then used the toolkit wrench to tighten them rather than a ratchet to make sure I didn't overtighten them. I have the drip down to a drop every minute or so but I think that's due to needing a new O ring on the cover. Since covering the vacuum line it no longer smokes and idles evenly and seems generally happy so yay for that. One thing I want to make sure of though is if I have a brain fart and forget to turn the petcock off immediately how long do I have before I get into trouble? Oh and yeah all my correspondence on here as well as taking pictures and verifying the "Where do these hoses go?" pictures have been done on my iPhone, I love this thing, essentially a mini lap top which i can now slip into my tank bag and have turn by turn directions when needed :-D
                          Last edited by Guest; 08-30-2010, 03:08 PM.

Comment

If petcock is left in prime position, it's up to the each carbs float needle valves to stop fuel flow into fuel bowls- any one ( or all 4) could leak. Normally they don't ( though they might weep a bit ), so don't worry. But it's a good idea to move petcock to on or res position when you're stopped for a while.Stop for an hour, don't worry- overnight shut off! I'm glad the bike seems happy again. My daughter had to have the iphone, so she had to pick up At+t plan all by her lonesome.
                            1981 gs650L

Comment

Off topic yes but just FYI my AT+T plan runs about 100 a month and gives me 450 anytime minutes and unlimited texting and 2 gigs worth of data usage. So I've been running the bike and it's definitely happier, gonna try and change the O ring out of the filter cover ASAP but other than that it seems a lot better. Meanwhile... if you have any questions concerning iPhone goodyness :-p. I'll try and start posting the story of trip and all that shortly I suppose. :-D Thanks for all the help

Comment

Hi Mr. Cronos,

Do you need a three-lobe O-ring for your oil filter cover? I have extras. PM me an address and I'll drop one in the mail for you.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                                X