Tach Drive Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tach Drive Failure

1983 GS1100E -- Tach is NOT working. Cable checked out okay. Tach drive gear spins freely in Cylinder Head Cover. Is there any way to resolve this without pulling the Cover? What are the possible failures of the system?

Has the tach ever worked? maybe you have some 1150 cams or some aftermarket ones without the tach drive.
    Feel The Pulse!

1982 GS1100E with Tracy one piece body
    2007 Roadstar Midnight Warrior

ebay cntgeek

Comment

Sucks but you need to remove the cam cover. The gear may be bad, but it may have wiped out the cam gear too.. What kind of gasket does the cam cover have ?

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. 3rd_Sprocket,

I agree with Lynn. You're going to have to take out the tach gear and pull the valve cover to have a look at the cam shaft to be sure. Let's hope it's the tach gear that's stripped and not the cam shaft. The tach gear can be replaced much more easily.

Actually, I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Just purchased the bike for $700 -- NOT running. The bike has been sitting in storage for 9 years. I cleaned the carbs and fuel tank, installed new sparkplugs and a new battery, cleaned electrical connections, and it fired right up. That is when I noticed the Tach was not Tach'ing.

I do not know if the bike has 1150 cams or what kind of gasket the cam cover has. I am probably novice posing as intermediate.

If the cams are original, what are the chances of finding something repairably wrong on the cover? Or, is this likely going to turn into looking for a new or used cover?

Thank you all for your insights and willingness to assist. Also, thanks for the welcome!

Comment

Working...
          X