Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possibly done before,what do you carry for tools??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possibly done before,what do you carry for tools??

This question came up on ADVrider.com, on the XL600 thread and I posted my reply.
    It came to me, it could be helpful here for the GSers also.

So here is the list of what I carry, always on either the XL or the Connie.

In my 10 pouch tool roll.$7.00 from Mcmaster.com
    10mm ratcheting combo wrench
    small hammer
    small 1/4 inch ratchet
    10 mm combo wrench
    1/2 inch drive 2.5 inch long extension w/5mm socket cap wrench,good for engine side cover bolts.
    1/4 inch flexible extension w/8mm socket
    11mm combo
    small vise grips
    hemo stats
    6 inch long flat head screwdriver
    1/2 inch drive 5 inch long extension w/10mm
    1/2 inch ratchet
    sockets:
    OEM spark plug wrench with 17mm on end
    11,12,13,14,15,16,18 and 19mm
    needle-nose pliers w/ wire cutters
    metric feeler gauges set
    small pick
    30 8 inch long cable ties
    13mm combo
    4-way screwdriver
    duck bill pliers
    12mm,14mm and 16 mm combos
    15mm and 17mm combos
    4 pair of nitrile gloves
    roll of electrical tape
    Large vise grips

Believe it or not it does fold down into a small package.

the work I can do with these as I use the same set in my garage during most of my past engine work.
    Pull motor,set valves,remove head and bore and many more.

I never really thought about how many tools I carried until I listed them just now. They probably weigh in around 4-5 lbs but I always will carry them.

I'm from the ole school of: carry the tools and not need them fine.
    don't carry the tools and need them........F'ed

So with all this in my Walmart cooler/tool box in addition to spare plugs,spare fuses and a lock , I still can carry water and a camera.

Works out to be a pretty good set-up.

So show us what you carry.
    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
    2000 Kawasaki Concours
    Please wear ATGATT

Dont got a current list but I also got my tools in a small cooler / lunch bag lol. Not nearlly as sorted but basically everything I use when working on the bike at home, rides on the GS.

My new saddle bags got the tool bag off the seat, I used to keep it attached to the sissy bar. I will likely take the tools out of the saddlebag and put them in my new tank bag for the moosehead trip, no need to unpack the bike to find a fuse.

I keep spare fuses in a small medicine pill container that keeps them from rattling around. Also quick wire splices and wire make the short list for me.

Comment

Just the stock tool pouch and my cell.

Comment

A Leatherman and a credit card.

Comment

"what do you carry for tools??"

Depends which bike Im riding.

Na, I usually dont carry any unluss Im doing plug chops or adjusting something.
          sigpic

82 GS850
          78 GS1000
          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
          .................________-|___\____
          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

I find the standard toolset works well for my needs. replace stock crappy screwdrivers with good quality ones tht have FUNCTIONAL handles, and add a crescent wrench, you're pretty well covered.

a lighting source is indeed a wise idea too, LED flashlight is my first choice, followed up by glowsticks. either one generates significant light, and will allow you to do whatever on the roadside.

Comment

stock tool pouch under seat, compact 40pc socket set, GOOD screwdrivers (those crummy plastic-handled ones are hilarious!), needle nose, and a couple extra doo-dads for electricals etc., in the front fairing- oh! and bright orange rainsuit. (came with the bike, rolled up tight inside the fairing lol)

Comment

The most important tool is a well prepared motorcycle.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I carry most everthing listed however, I carry it in my tank bag. Add a voltmeter, electrical and steel wire, flashlight, trickle charger on longer trips, handle bar straps just in case, extra r/r and stator on long and/or overnight trips.

The problem I have is the amount of space it takes up in the tank bag. I have little room for anything else without having this big bag on the tank. I have 2 sets of saddle bags. One hard case and one soft case. I usually don't use them unless I stay overnight.

Still debating about using them for the Catskills ride.
                  1979 GS850G
                  2004 SV650N track bike
                  2005 TT-R125 pit bike
                  LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

The one time I didn't have my tool pouch under the seat I needed it. I carry that and a small socket set in the tail of my bike.

Comment

I travel light; just the stock tool set for the bike, extra fuses, and a Mini-Mag flashlight. So far, so good.
                      Last edited by Guest; 05-02-2011, 07:55 PM. Reason: Capitalization of flashlight manufacturer

Comment

Yeah i just carry the stock tools that came with my bike, in the standard little bag wrapped in a rag.

Comment

I don't need to carry tools when I ride.

Comment

Originally posted by crag antler View Post
                            This question came up on ADVrider.com, on the XL600 thread and I posted my reply.
                            It came to me, it could be helpful here for the GSers also.

So here is the list of what I carry, always on either the XL or the Connie.

In my 10 pouch tool roll.$7.00 from Mcmaster.com
                            10mm ratcheting combo wrench
                            small hammer
                            small 1/4 inch ratchet
                            10 mm combo wrench
                            1/2 inch drive 2.5 inch long extension w/5mm socket cap wrench,good for engine side cover bolts.
                            1/4 inch flexible extension w/8mm socket
                            11mm combo
                            small vise grips
                            hemo stats
                            6 inch long flat head screwdriver
                            1/2 inch drive 5 inch long extension w/10mm
                            1/2 inch ratchet
                            sockets:
                            OEM spark plug wrench with 17mm on end
                            11,12,13,14,15,16,18 and 19mm
                            needle-nose pliers w/ wire cutters
                            metric feeler gauges set
                            small pick
                            30 8 inch long cable ties
                            13mm combo
                            4-way screwdriver
                            duck bill pliers
                            12mm,14mm and 16 mm combos
                            15mm and 17mm combos
                            4 pair of nitrile gloves
                            roll of electrical tape
                            Large vise grips

Believe it or not it does fold down into a small package.

the work I can do with these as I use the same set in my garage during most of my past engine work.
                            Pull motor,set valves,remove head and bore and many more.

I never really thought about how many tools I carried until I listed them just now. They probably weigh in around 4-5 lbs but I always will carry them.

I'm from the ole school of: carry the tools and not need them fine.
                            don't carry the tools and need them........F'ed

So with all this in my Walmart cooler/tool box in addition to spare plugs,spare fuses and a lock , I still can carry water and a camera.

Works out to be a pretty good set-up.

So show us what you carry.
                            Wow! I think thats more tools than I have in my garage. I haven't been carrying any tools lately, riding close to home. But usually I carry the standard tool kit, a set of vice grips, a Swiss Army knife and a rag.
                            Only serious break downs I've ever had were flat tires (and they were new!), everything else that broke on the road I was able to fix on the spot or nurse it back home.
                            sigpic
                            Steve
                            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

I once dropped my bike and broke the clutch handle. Now, I always carry a spare. On a long ride, I also carry a spare clutch cable. Had one of those break on a trip once, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X