No announcement yet.

1983 GS750E Project Bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been ranting and raving like a lunatic about the 83 to 86 GS 750 models for a very long time. To me at least, they are a perfectly rounded bike. Handle very well in the twisties, aren't overly heavy, feel nimble at crawling speeds, have nice power, and are quite comfortable for day rides. Love that power rush from 4,500 rpm up to the 10,000 rpm redline. I still giggle like a kid in a candy store when I ride one.
    I like them so much I have two of them.......here are the Twins.....

Comment

Well you got a convert on the Island.Good on you Pat,looks like a slightly better staring point.Probaly know which way I go on the exhaust
      Last edited by Guest; 01-10-2011, 12:35 AM.

Comment

I'll probably put the Supertrapp on her and keep the stock pipes as a spare.

Comment

Originally posted by jetta90 View Post
          I've been ranting and raving like a lunatic about the 83 to 86 GS 750 models for a very long time. To me at least, they are a perfectly rounded bike. Handle very well in the twisties, aren't overly heavy, feel nimble at crawling speeds, have nice power, and are quite comfortable for day rides. Love that power rush from 4,500 rpm up to the 10,000 rpm redline. I still giggle like a kid in a candy store when I ride one.
          I like them so much I have two of them.......here are the Twins.....
          I still haven't heard any of them run yet, but can't wait! What year are your's? They look different with the round headlights.

Comment

Think Jetta's are 84's.A freind of mine has one,thats what his looks like.

Comment

These are great bikes and rock solid when sorted out. There are a few things you should consider doing however and primarily it would be checking the charging system. The regulator/rectifier on these bikes is weak and can be the source of the problems. the solution is changing it out for one of the more robust Honda models (see our friend Duaneage).

In the meantime and as a temporary fix, you should add an additional groundline from the unit directly to the negative terminal on the battery. It is also important to make sure the contacts at the r/r ( and really all other contacts) are clean. On my bike the plastic connector was so gunged up that the only solution was to clip it off and replace with fresh spade connectors. That fixed things for me.

The bike is likely going to be hard to start too so you should adjust the valves as well as clean and rebuild the carbs. The coil relay modification is also a great idea to help starting as these bikes often suffer from resistance in the cicuits caused by corrosion and dirt at connectors and switches causing coils to receive less than necessary voltage for good spark.

Once the electricals, valves and carbs are sorted these bikes will run forever. As mentioned, they are smooth and powerful and will take you distances and keep you entertained doing it.

Enjoy and keep us informed of your rebuild progress.

Cheers,
              Spyug

Comment

Thanks for the advice Spyug. The good thing is I now have a parts bike for anything that could go wrong.

Comment

You have gotten yourself a new nice bike, really like the red.

Comment

That is 5418.4 MILES! Not kilometers on the parts bike. Just thought you should know. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Sooke View Post
                      You have gotten yourself a new nice bike, really like the red.
                      Thanks, I prefer the red one too!

I figured out it was in miles yesterday but still extremely low mileage for an '83!

Comment

Yup, SVSooke is right on the money..........both my GS 750E's are 1984's.
                        These are the E models and did not come with either of the fairings Suzuki offered. They have the enormous 8" headlight up front instead.
                        The red one is the one I use regularly. It had 65,000 kms (39,000 miles) when I bought it and now has 77,000 kms (46,200 miles). Bought it as a project - rebuilt the front forks, greased the steering head, swingarm and rear suspension pivot needle bearings, new stator and rectifier, lubed cables, lots of time getting built up grease and grime removed from the bike and finished off with a new set of tires. Heads up - the head/swingarm/rear suspension bearings were dry with hardly any grease left on mine.
                        The second GS, in black, was also purchased as a project and only has 33,000 (19,800 miles). Did the same work as above on that one except for NO stator/rectifier replacement and tires were ok. I'm not sure which one I'll use this coming summer at this point in time. I just may have to go with the black one to see how well it runs.

I'm with Mrs Sooke - I like the shade of red on your bike. Looks very good, indeed.
                        Last edited by jetta90; 01-12-2011, 01:31 AM.

Comment

Picked up my second '83 GS750E today, it was a snowstorm outside. Borrowed my nieghbors truck and had an uneventful ride home, took it real easy, roads were slippery.

Here's some more pics at home in my garage.

One thing I noticed is pretty much every single wire is disconnected. PO owes me some parts - chain, front fender, chain guard, 2 small pieces for the stock exhaust. Will pick them up next week!

Now, where do I begin!!

Comment

There are quite a few well done restorations and modifications done on '83 and up 700 and 750 bikes here. Joe Whelan's 700 is about as sharp as they come. King of Venus, Salty Monk, and I have all modified ours pretty heavily suspension-wise. You can shave 40-50 lbs off them with a little work.

Comment

Here is a picture of mine.
                              Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

You where going to paint the white one metallic red IIRC.Guess you don't need to now.

Comment

Working...
                                X