Pine Sol for carb dip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duplicated Post -- see below
    Last edited by dpep; 09-08-2010, 09:28 PM.
    Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
    80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

I apologize for linking to a members only page. I edited the first post and linked the pictures instead so you could see the process and results.

I think the advantage this might have over chemicals is that the Pine Sol is supposed to be safe for rubber and plastic parts. But I am not sure that is correct. I am sure it would not dissolve them, but if you need to wear gloves to keep it from taking the oil off your hands why would it not dry out other materials as well?

As a bonus it is a lot less toxic to people and the environment; it isn't flammable; and it does smell a lot nicer.
      Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
      80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Originally posted by SteveM View Post
        You have email.
        Thanks for your time Steve.Looks like something I'm going to try over the winter.Going to do cycleorings thing to.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
          Thanks for your time Steve.Looks like something I'm going to try over the winter.Going to do cycleorings thing to.
          No problem. That's a keeper of an idea and it was worth the cut and paste job.

Comment

It would be interesting to combine the pinesol with an ultrasonic cleaner.
            Has anyone here used an ultrasonic cleaner on carbs?

Comment

My friend uses "Purple Power" in his ultrasonic cleaner. he says he has excellent results.
              Matos law: Murphy was a lucky B@stard!
              1979 GS850GN
              sigpic

In memory of Dave "Gonzo" Steele
              1975-2008

Comment

Id be curious about the ultrasonic cleaner and pine sol as well. Harbour Frieght has them from time to time but Im not sure theyre big enough to dip the full rack. The tank on the 2.5 liter is only 9.75" long and only 3" deep. But for $70 bucks, it might make a good donor for building a better tank for carbs to sit in. Nothing a local weld shop couldnt tig up out of 14ga stainless. And the HF one has a heating function.

Comment

Ive tried the pine sol on some snowmobile carbs...

It worked great came out nice and clean! Best part you can pour it down the drain when your done.

Comment

I am in the process of getting a 700es running and put the carburetor
                    bank in a bucket with water and pine sol. Came out clean, but I did have
                    to use a brush in certain places to get heavier residue off. The original
                    poster is showing pictures of the owner of the Nighthawk Forum cleaning
                    his carburetors. The owner of the Nighthawk Forum got the idea from
                    the CB750/900/1100f Forum. I put other stuff in the bucket as well
                    and it cleans up well afterwards. I did remove all O-rings from the
                    carburetor before the soak.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammered View Post
                      Id be curious about the ultrasonic cleaner and pine sol as well. Harbour Frieght has them from time to time but Im not sure theyre big enough to dip the full rack. The tank on the 2.5 liter is only 9.75" long and only 3" deep. But for $70 bucks, it might make a good donor for building a better tank for carbs to sit in. Nothing a local weld shop couldnt tig up out of 14ga stainless. And the HF one has a heating function.
                      I just picked up one of those about six weeks ago. It is frikkin' sweet. I mean, really, really frikkin' sweet. I really dig it, and as long as it keeps working, I'm going to keep cleaning my carbs (and at least for the first few days about every other small dirty thing I could fit in there) in it. First time around solution was 50/50 water/simple green, though I suspect that 3:1 or even 4:1 water/green is going to work just as well.

The heater is what really makes this unit rock. When I first fired it up, I put a really grimy carb body in there just after I mixed the solution. It didn't clean that well, honestly. I absent-mindedly left it sit with the heater on for a while and did some other stuff around the house. Came back and started up another cleaning cycle, and holey moley that sucker came out clean. So the heat is what makes this ultrasonic cleaner sing.

It has 90, 180, 280, 380, and 480-second cycles, though I have only used the 480 cycle. Even with seven-minute cycles, it is totally feasible to do a whole rack of carbs in a day, and have them clean enough to eat off of. Some parts do require a 'double dip' (like the mounting bracket, carb bodies, and choke bar), where you have to rotate the part to get the other half immersed, but it still makes very short work of the shellac and grime. The only thing I have done to expedite the cleaning process is to whip up two baskets out of ordinary metal window screen so that I could clean two sets of small parts at a time.

I was so enthralled at how well this thing works as it stands, I hadn't thought of using it as parts for a bigger one...hmmm...food for thought.

Comment

I recently got one of these also. It fits about 2/3 of one BS32SS carb at a time.

I haven't tried Simple Green in it yet. The cleaning solution that HF sells for these is better than straight water for cleaning, but seems to induce a little corrosion on the carb bodies. For some reason, they keep this cleaning solution in a locked cabinet.
                        Dogma
                        --
                        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                        '80 GS850 GLT
                        '80 GS1000 GT
                        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

"for some reason they keep it locked up."...might be a chemical in there that can be used to make crystal meth..send me a copy of the ingredients and i will cross reference with my recipe to see if theres anything i can use..might save a lot of money..all that sudafed is expensive...LMAO
                          Last edited by chuck hahn; 09-09-2010, 10:45 AM.
                          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I may have to give the Pine sol a try. I have used carb dip in my ultrasonic cleaner with decent results. May give the power of pine a shot. Unfortunately, the only carbs I have to clean are relatively clean, meaning have only been sitting a year or less.

To the other poster using the purple power, I can't use it anymore since it eats my skin. It would be nice to use something a little less caustic.

Comment

Originally posted by waterman View Post
                              I may have to give the Pine sol a try. I have used carb dip in my ultrasonic cleaner with decent results. May give the power of pine a shot. Unfortunately, the only carbs I have to clean are relatively clean, meaning have only been sitting a year or less.

To the other poster using the purple power, I can't use it anymore since it eats my skin. It would be nice to use something a little less caustic.
                              Haven't tried pine-sol yet, when my jug of Simple Green is gone, I'll probably try it. FWIW, I'm very pleased with the green. It smells decent, and in various dilutions can be used for a ton of stuff, and it will not, even at full strength, chew up your skin.

That purple power is pretty hard core stuff. I borrowed a bottle from work to clean my engine, good thing I read the label first, it specifically states NOT to use it on aluminum.

Comment

Originally posted by waterman View Post
                                Originally posted by wkmpt View Post
                                That purple power is pretty hard core stuff. I borrowed a bottle from work to clean my engine, good thing I read the label first, it specifically states NOT to use it on aluminum.

He Keeps a close eye on his process. And like I said, he had excellent results.

Matos law: Murphy was a lucky B@stard!
                                1979 GS850GN
                                sigpic

In memory of Dave "Gonzo" Steele
                                1975-2008

Comment

Working...
                                X