X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chuck--send me a copy of your "recipe"

Comment

re

I guess the pine thing is a pretty strong detergent. But you need to keep in mind that actual solvents are much more powerful cleaners. There are more powerful detergents than pinesol out there. I have rebuilt hundreds of carbs in my many years and good carb dips will unstop passages that ither products wont touch. I have an oval big crock pot with a surplus ultrasound transducer on it, that I put Berrymans chemdip in. I put the lid on it and cook a set of carbs for an hour, and let it cool down before opening it. I have never seen anything clean like it. I will try pinesol in the pot, I bet the heat will make it rock out. Maybe a little pinesol and berrymans mixed? Anyway it is good to have alternatives. I have to rebuild the carb on my BD4 next week, I might do the pine thing, to see how it cleans.

Comment

Hi,
        There is a lot of info on cleaning carbs with pinesol over on www.cb750c.com It is not exactly "non-toxic" after the carbs have been dipped, but definitely better than berrymans.

cheers,
        Lyle

Comment

I heard varsol works great though this pinesol sounds great. Somebody try it and let us know

Comment

Originally posted by SDBuckeye View Post
            Hi,
            There is a lot of info on cleaning carbs with pinesol over on www.cb750c.com It is not exactly "non-toxic" after the carbs have been dipped, but definitely better than berrymans.

cheers,
            Lyle

Better than berrymans chemdip, not even close as far as cleaning power goes. No detergent based product is. The commercial carb dip industry has been formulating cleaners for carbs for decades, and these cleaners are in another league compared to any detergents. I don't mind going back door ghetto for some things, but you have to realize back door ghetto is what it is, back door ghetto. Pinesol will never get close to pro carb cleaner for internal cleaning, because it is a detergent. Detergents can clean pretty good, and make parts look clean, looks don't go to far when you have restricted passages in carbs that you don't get unstopped.

Comment

Did my carbs with PineSol.They where not really gummed up and where working well.Since I was doing a cycleorings kit as well why not.

This is how they looked after using a spray cleaner the first time.

Into the solution

All nice and clean,new SS allens to

Comment

So are you saying it worked as well as the commercial dips or not???
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Have no idea,never used a commercial dip.For a really bad set probably not.

Comment

Hi - I've got the carbs off the bike and am about to disassemble them for soaking. I'm looking for any followup on the Pine Sol vs Berrymans/other dip results. Thanks
                    1982 GS1100GL Citrus County, FL

a rare outsider and was only built until 1983. Who still has one, it gives her so little.

Comment

I've used both (not berrymans but a commercial carb dip that was similar). The carb dip did a much better cleaning job. The Pine sole did clean but as stated earlier if the rack is fairly gummed up or dirty the Pine sole is just not a strong enough agent. The rack I dipped was not that soiled, no plugged passeges but even the body did not comes 'as' clean as with the carb dip. In a pinch or for something that isn't that bad it works fine.
                      Rob
                      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

OK, I have the carbs off the bike, do I need to take them apart before I put them into a bucket of PinSol ? Or leave them as is, and let em soak for a day or two. I am not worried about the O rings, I ordered a kit for that, but what about diaphragm's.

I know it will be ok on the metal and aluminum parts, is there anything I should remove before the big dip ?

Comment

I think I have more than $100.00 in a 5 gallon pail of Berryman's and a basket. Its not that inexpensive in Oregon.

I wasn't certain that I could fit a DCOE in the gallon pail. Two easily fit in the 5 gallon.
                          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Take them apaft so they can get into all the nooks, crannies, and inner passsgeways.

I boiled mine in the pinesol to speed things up. Does a nice job but can oxidize quickly. Be quick to rinse them then fog em with some w-d.

did not put any plastic/rubber in the pinesol so dont know if it will eat it up.

It did easily remove the paint off my black cv carbs on my 83E.

Nic
                            Last edited by niclpnut; 11-02-2011, 10:39 PM.
                            83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

will it hurt these, or let em soak as well

was going to soak it as is first for a day or so, rinse, then take it all apart, and soak again for a day or so, then get into all the small holes and such for a very thorough cleaning

put in a better picture
                              Last edited by Guest; 11-02-2011, 11:49 PM.

Comment

I don't think that boot is any good with that tear. Might want to start looking for some replacements (search on other threads as there was talk about it early last week).
                                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                                X