No announcement yet.

Pine Sol for carb dip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

not my boot and not my tear, just a pic of of the internet, I was more curious will the pine sol soak hurt these items, or should boots be removed before the soak ?

I only took one carb apart from the top and the boot is in great shape, I didn't want to ruin it by having it sit in pine sol for a few days....

I think I will just remove them, and let all the rest soak

Thanks

Comment

You don't need to remove the boots and better off just to wipe the slides down with carb spray and a rag. You don't want to dip them.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Took mine down completely,would not put the slides and diaphragms in.Does a good but not great job.If they are to bad like the ones on my 1000 I found the answer here http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=178816 .Great cleaner but the Pine Sol smells better.

Comment

once they are all apart, do all the parts have to go back from the carb they came from or can all the little bits and pieces be mixed and put in any carb, so if a needle cam e from carb 1, can it go to carb 4, or must it go back to where it originally came from ?

not sure if I can strip it all down, throw it all in a bucket, minus the boot and slides, and then rinse and start putting it back together.

or do one at a time, each in it's own container, keeping all part as one complete set

my carbs don't look so bad, so a really deep clean on the outside is not all that necessary, has some old oil and soot on them, not much of anything else

Comment

Do one at a time. Have you downloaded Nessism's tutorial yet? If not, get to it because it will save you a lot of headaches.

Plus, put your bike info in your signature block so we don't have to keep asking.
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

@cowboyup3371 - Thanks, I will do one at a time then, sounds like a good way to go

I have read the tutorial and have a copy handy, have ordered the O ring kit as well, some new SS bolts, and new rings for the intake side as well

Comment

Done it both ways.Skunk carb where together because I dipped them one at a time.Pot only did 1.The 2 750 sets went in 1 "vat" of Pine Sol.Don't think much ended where it stated on either set.Both sets work great with a little help from Mr.Barr

Comment

Never tried PineSol, but like the idea of it. I do use it for heavy degreasing sometimes, but find it works better without water for initial soak. Would be surprised if it were better than a good carb cleaner for removing the gasoline varnish which is usually the problem. Heck, half the time the carb dips can't clean the jets and I end up redrilling them.

Comment

I used the Pine Sol soak method and it seemed to work, but mine were not too bad to begin with. I did one at a time, put the small parts in a cup to keep them together, and kept the slides/diaphrams out.

After soaking, I used an old toothbrush on the outsides, washed them in warm water, sprayed them all (especially the internal passages) with carb cleaner and let them dry.

New o-rings, bench set, float set, install and sync. Almost 10k miles still working great.
                    1982 GS1100GL Citrus County, FL

a rare outsider and was only built until 1983. Who still has one, it gives her so little.

Comment

This is what I am talking about....Thanks for the post

Mine are not that bad either, but just enough to be dirty on the outside, and probably not so bad on the inside, but a full rebuild will be done...

Originally posted by fishfarm View Post
                      I used the Pine Sol soak method and it seemed to work, but mine were not too bad to begin with. I did one at a time, put the small parts in a cup to keep them together, and kept the slides/diaphrams out.

After soaking, I used an old toothbrush on the outsides, washed them in warm water, sprayed them all (especially the internal passages) with carb cleaner and let them dry.

New o-rings, bench set, float set, install and sync. Almost 10k miles still working great.

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                        OK, I have the carbs off the bike, do I need to take them apart before I put them into a bucket of PinSol ? Or leave them as is, and let em soak for a day or two. I am not worried about the O rings, I ordered a kit for that, but what about diaphragm's.
                        Why NOT take them apart?

You are going to take them all apart to change the o-rings, anyway, you might as well do it beforehand,
                        so you can be assured that whatever fluid you use will get into ALL the nooks and crannies.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I was not sure if I could just dunk them with out taking them apart, and after the soak they would be taken apart over hauled, and put back together. I assumed them being a whole would not make a diff while soaking, as I assumed the pine sol would get into everything anyways....

seems I am not correct

so

I will take apart each one, and have it sit in it's own solution, no parts will be mixed up with other parts, and each one will get a good soaking

Thanks for all the advise

Comment

Fellas-

This method of cleaning carbs has been around for quite awhile on the other forums (I belong to a few Honda and XS forums). The thing about the pinesol, and other degreasers is that it's more of a mind trick. You see them come out nice and shiny with little cleaning, and assume they are clean. When in-fact, there are still many passages that are plugged. I have tried many different methods over the years with Pinesol, lemon juice, Simple Green, Purple Magic, etc., to the point of putting heater coils in steel tubs, oscillators to mimic sonic waves, etc.

The true and tried method as Ed says was to use the Carb Dip. I have many friends that work for Rousch racing down in Livonia, and they use Berryman's carb dip for all their carbs needing to be cleaned. They are obviously aware of all the different parts cleaners available to them, and they still use Berryman's. It comes down to preference, but, Berryman's is the equivalent to Rotella T5 to the diesel industry, as Pinesol is equivalent to dollar store 10W-40.

And my recommendation is to break the carbs completely down before soaking. It makes absolutely no sense to leave them intact. And personally, knowing how much I have spent on torn diaphragms before gorilla glue and nitrile gloves were known as as great fix for tears, I would not trust any chemical to leaving my diaphragms in. Give them a light touch with a cloth, and don't mess with them. The more you play with them, the more the possibility for them to get torn! Put them away from anything to puncture them or cause damage until you are ready to re-install them.

I'm not saying Pinesol and other detergents are not great cleaners, as I have seen them make my carbs look great, but, I have compared cleaning results between Carb Dip and Pinesol, and feel the Carb Dip does a better job. Just my humble opinion . . .

Comment

Someone on another board recomended the Berrymans as usual followed by a day or so in Pinesol.
                              sigpic

82 GS850
                              78 GS1000
                              04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                              .................________-|___\____
                              ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

I'm wondering if the Pinesol treatment is more for the visual cleanliness of the carbs, while the Berryman's is for the nooks and crannies, which is what we really want clean!

Comment

Working...
                                X