Exhaust: Independent v. 2 into 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust: Independent v. 2 into 1

I'm relatively new to motorcycles and need to replace the rusted exhaust on my '81 gs450e...

What are your thoughts?

Do you prefer a stock-type independent exhaust or a 2 into 1 style?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of each?

stock isnt independent, they have a cross over under the trans,

Comment

I bought a 2-1 for my yamaha 400, probably better scavenging, and less weight too.

Comment

I like the style of my 2 to 1. It was on the bike when I got the bike and I think it's a MAC. I'm not real fond of the sound. It's bit tinney. I think there are some picts in my album.

Charlie G
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g
        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Hey, Charlie. Can you get a picture of the left side of your GS450? I wanna see how it looks without the exhaust on the left side. And maybe a video.... Please?

Comment

From what I understand, a good 2 into 1 will encourage the midrange somewhat compared to a 2 into 2, but I would imagine there's more to it than that potentially with jetting, air flow, back pressure in the exhaust, etc.

I'm planning on either building a totally custom 2 into 1 for mine or getting someone to build it for me (all depends on my ability vs. price) to suit the style I'm looking for.

Apparently good ones are Kerker and Motad from what I've seen around the traps, although I'm sure there are others too.
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by Flaming Chainsaws View Post
              Hey, Charlie. Can you get a picture of the left side of your GS450? I wanna see how it looks without the exhaust on the left side. And maybe a video.... Please?
              I try to remember to get one this evening.

cg
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                Apparently good ones are Kerker and Motad from what I've seen around the traps, although I'm sure there are others too.
                The problem is that they are expensive. I found a Motad but it was $400 and they were located in the UK Imagine the shipping price...

I looked at Kerker, sent them an email, called them but the same answer. They don't have any. Oh well. I don't need an exhaust right now as I have more important things to do

But when the time comes... Will I have to settle with a MAC?

Comment

Right (click for link to album)

Left

I not up to speed on videos yet. I don't think the sound would be that great. Mac is the only one I know of available in the US. Could be wrong. This works for me and I still have the stock set.

cg
                  Last edited by Charlie G; 09-14-2010, 11:02 PM.
                  sigpic
                  83 GS1100g

Comment

Thanks Charlie! I like that look better than the 2 into 2 exhaust. And I hear that with a MAC system, you can keep the centerstand. Did you have to re jet it?

By the way, your photobucket is set to private.
                    Last edited by Guest; 09-15-2010, 02:46 AM.

Comment

Thanks Charlie! I like that look better than the 2 into 2 exhaust. And I hear that with a MAC system, you can keep the centerstand. Did you have to re jet it?

By the way, your photobucket is set to private.
                      The smaller picture is in my GS album and can be viewed by clicking. I know photobucket is private. Is the GS album private? The P.O. put the header on and it is on my list to pull the carbs and rebuild. It runs rich at the moment but that may be do to the carbs condition and not an indicator of weither the Mac can be run without re-jetting. Float level check? Any day these carbs are comming off. Center stand can stay on , note the bracket I made in "450e appearence mods".

cg
                      Last edited by Charlie G; 09-15-2010, 10:49 AM.
                      sigpic
                      83 GS1100g

Comment

Saw the bike pics..i think i have 3 of those chrome chain guards in pretty decent shape..was wondering what they went on..will have to look in the storage unit to see if i still have them if anyone is interested
                        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                        X