450e apearance mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

450e apearance mods

I thought I'd share a few pictures of some of the things I've done on my 450e. Someone might find them useful.

This is a chrome chain gaurd off a "L" model. The plastic one was broken and I have a thing against plastic parts if I can get metal.

I replaced the seat trim spring clips by taking a 6mm (?) die and threading the studs. I can now easily remove the trim and recover at will.

The center stand, when in the up position rests on a rubber cushion, on a metal bracket, on the left muffler support. My bike has a 2 to one header and no left muffler. The left bracket was was hanging there only holding a rubber cushion. Looked strange to me. I made a bracket for the right side and it looks cleaner.

The previous owner trimed the rear fender. I'm not really what he cut off, but I like it better than stock. I lowered the plate a bit to please a local police officer, which was fine with me.

I thought we needed something is this new twin section to get us going. Thanks to Frank!

Charlie G
    Last edited by Charlie G; 09-14-2010, 12:02 AM.
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Cheers for starting us off Charlie, you beat me to it

When I get a chance to take some close up pic's, I was going to start a thread about some little rubber bits from my bottom crank case...

Also, thanks for the close ups of the bracket under the right muffler there, that's a real help.

I couldn't remember what used to stop my centre stand from whacking up against the frame before I pulled it all apart, and now I can see it in your pic's there I'll have to work out what I'm going to do because I don't plan on low mufflers at all...
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Here is a picture of my 83 450E. I bought it for my 17 yr old as his first bike. He wants to make a cafe racer out of it but I am going to leave it stock for a while. I do need to replace both side covers and he wants to repaint it this winter. If I make a cafe racer out of it, I will save all of the original pieces in case I want to return it to stock later.

Comment

Nice upgrades!

I've been toying with the idea of cutting off most of my rear fender mud flap and putting on smaller turn signals. I think this would modernize the back end quite a bit. I just hate to cut up a bike that's made it 30 years without someone messing it up...

Comment

Originally posted by herostar View Post
          Nice upgrades!

I've been toying with the idea of cutting off most of my rear fender mud flap and putting on smaller turn signals. I think this would modernize the back end quite a bit. I just hate to cut up a bike that's made it 30 years without someone messing it up...
          That rear fender is massive, I want to cut mine down too. You could always get one at a junkyard or something and cut that one up and save your original. Since they are plastic I would think there should be plenty around somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by herostar View Post
            Nice upgrades!

Originally posted by bgmart450 View Post
            That rear fender is massive, I want to cut mine down too. You could always get one at a junkyard or something and cut that one up and save your original. Since they are plastic I would think there should be plenty around somewhere.
            My thoughts exactly. I wouldn't cut the fender myself unless I had a stock replacement for it. I'd like to cut down my 650g, but unless I find a fender, I won't do it. A somewhat low priority for at this point.

cg
            sigpic
            83 GS1100g
            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Ah, I see where the rear fender was cut.

Same with me, I'll only cut or paint it if I get another fender. I want to be able to bring the bike back to stock if I wanted to.

But an "L" model fender is metal so it's a little harder to cut lol.

Comment

Originally posted by bgmart450 View Post
                I did the same thing when I bobbed my Suzuki S40 except I found a cheap fender on Ebay. I still have all the original parts to restore it back to original. I plan on doing the same with the 450 when I turn it into a cafe racer. First thing is to cut the rear fender or remove it.

Comment

you can get gs450 here in england, but more common are the 250 + 400 versions with 4 valves per cylinder. they look almost the same but are called gsx250E or gsx400E. i'm converting my 250 into a cafe racer, not far off now , i'll try & post pics
                  Last edited by hugo151; 10-27-2010, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X