getting rid of speedo and tach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

getting rid of speedo and tach

I've got a 1978 GS550 that I'm cafe-ing. I want to make it a little tougher looking by just getting rid of the speedometer and tach. The clip-on bars are in and I've smoothed out the triple where the bars used to mount. Now I want to eliminate the gauges.

As far as wiring goes, can I just cut the wires off at the harness and terminate the ends? Is this going to cause problems down the line?

The 550 has a gear indicator and the neutral / oil pressure light too. I'd like to junk all of it. Any ideas on how to go about this would be really helpful. Also, any thoughts on relocating the key setup would be sweet.

thanks,

patrick

Vehicles must legally have a speedometer if you want to ever have it on the road. Pretty sure, correct me if im wrong...

Might want to consider incorporating them into the headlight bucket.

Comment

Sure you can just cut the harness off. You will still need to get a speedo, though, unless the bike is just for show.

Comment

You could just unplug the harness ends (under the tank). You could then sell the gauge cluster more easily. I would agree with others that a speedo and at least a neutral light would save you a lot of future frustration. Maybe try a bicycle computer or one of those tiny Trailtech digital speedos (with them, you at least get a backlight and tach)?

On my 550, I've removed the speedo from the bezel, painted it aluminum color and mounted it centrally, just forward of the ignition lock with aluminum plate, with the gear indicator and warning lights (1/2" round indicators) nearby. Looks pretty traditional.

By the way, how did you smooth the top clamp? I've got clip-ons and have been trying to figure out what to do with the old bar mounts.

Comment

I only use a speedo on my 850. In my opinion these bike come factory with way too many things that can go wrong. I did away with all of em. Use your imagination and do it clean. Dont just hack the wires and leave em hanging. Make em look like they came like that from the factory.

As for neutral.. If one needs a light to tell ya when you're in neutral then perhaps ya shouldnt be riding at all.

sigpic

82 GS850
          78 GS1000
          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
          .................________-|___\____
          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

@ ChicagoBob

I ground down the bottom portion of the bar clamps and TIG welded in the holes for the top clamp bolts. Once the whole thing was smoothed out I just painted it all black. Be careful if you plan on welding a cast part like that. It really helps to pre-heat it to about 450 F. You could just grind them down and bondo/paint if welding isn't an option.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. I guess I'll keep (or replace with a smaller one) the speedo. I was unaware of the legal issues. I ride in Chicago, so traffic kind of dictates my top end. (She gets a little squirrely around 100mph anyway).

Fingers crossed I'll be ready to go riding next season.

Pictures soon.

Comment

Dennis Kirk (maybe Whitney) does a small Speedo & Tach combo that fits the stock drives. Pretty cheap too.

One of my customers has a custom "captain america" Chopper that has a low level speedo which is fairly useless (sits by your left knee) but satisfies the rules of law I guess. It's a small gauge, less than 2" dia.
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by pjustice View Post
                  Thanks for the help guys. I guess I'll keep (or replace with a smaller one) the speedo. I was unaware of the legal issues. I ride in Chicago, so traffic kind of dictates my top end. (She gets a little squirrely around 100mph anyway).

Fingers crossed I'll be ready to go riding next season.

Pictures soon.
                  I have a few unknown speedos if you decide to take that route.
                  I think they came of a CB.
                  sigpic

82 GS850
                  78 GS1000
                  04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                  .................________-|___\____
                  ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by pjustice View Post
                    (She gets a little squirrely around 100mph anyway).
                    You should fix that.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      You should fix that.

Okay, maybe I get a little squirrelly around 100mph... Or maybe I need to redo the stem bearings.

Comment

I'm customizing my bike as well and have removed both gauges and lights. I'm not sure about legally needing a speedo but I do know that you need at least a high beam indicator here in Texas. I still want to know my speed and rpm's and such so i bought an acewell combo gauge. It has a speedo, tach, odometer, turn neutral high beam oil and hazzard indicator as well as a fuel level indicator that works with the stock sender unit, as well as other helpfull features. Best of all it's only about 2 inches in diameter maybe even 1 7/8", havn't really measured it butit's noticably smaller than the stock set up.

Comment

Originally posted by flyanimator View Post
                          I'm customizing my bike as well and have removed both gauges and lights. I'm not sure about legally needing a speedo but I do know that you need at least a high beam indicator here in Texas. I still want to know my speed and rpm's and such so i bought an acewell combo gauge. It has a speedo, tach, odometer, turn neutral high beam oil and hazzard indicator as well as a fuel level indicator that works with the stock sender unit, as well as other helpfull features. Best of all it's only about 2 inches in diameter maybe even 1 7/8", havn't really measured it butit's noticably smaller than the stock set up.
                          Could you post a photo and part number for this combo gauge?

Inquiring minds would like to see.

Chris

Comment

Working...
                          X