No announcement yet.

2-Cylinder Photos - Post Yours!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's some pics of my '77 gs400x. Got it this summer... for FREE!
    - a previous tenant left it at my apartment building like 2 years ago. Had to track one dude down for the key, another for the title. The PO started some kinda "cafe conversion" so when I found it it already had the back of the frame cut, all the lights (except the headlight) had been removed, a 2-1 exhaust w/ "custom" air box made from PCV joints and a single pod filter, shorter rear shocks, and a very amateurish attempt at a DIY fiberglass racing bump/seat pan.- Lumpy, misshapen, and literally held together with duct tape.
    All it really needed was a full tune up and a little love.
    Here's what i've done so far:
    -clean out and patch holes in gas tank- it was filled with rusty sludge and leaking where the tank badges had been ripped off and filled w/ bondo.
    filled the dents and gave it a quick spray with flat black for the time being.
    - new battery and made a electrinics pan and reroute the rats nest of wires
    -clean carb and rejetted within the "ballpark" (ditched the pcv contraption for a pair of pod filters)
    -made new seat pan/ bump -I made the seat upholstery from a trash-picked leather office chair
    -Fixed the exhaust so it kickstarter doesnt hit it.
    -lights!
    -new petcock
    - new rear tire
    -ditched the uncomfortable drag bars for a superbike set
    -valves/ carb sync
    ...Etc
    enjoy...

P1020370 by charleswesleyhobbs, on Flickr

P1020368 by charleswesleyhobbs, on Flickr

P1020367 by charleswesleyhobbs, on Flickr

P1020371 by charleswesleyhobbs, on Flickr

P1020366 by charleswesleyhobbs, on Flickr

Every time I ride, it gets lots of attention. Plenty of "what is that thing?" - last week a real PR biker gang member rode w/ me for a few blocks- kept saying "looks like an old triumph"....
    Now that all the major maintenance is more or less done, I was think about a nice paint job - but Im afraid that it'll make the rest of the bike look like crap! Also I kinda dig the natural "rat" vibe this bike has goin'... Actually real rats were living in this bike for a while, when I first moved in and it still had a tarp.
    What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Guest; 10-09-2011, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Mate I love it! Looks very cool and I can see why that biker thought it was an old Triumph.

You've done very well

I think the paint job that's on there now suits it, and if you were to do a good one I think you'd need to give it a good polish or it will look out of place.

One thing though... is that front tyre old or is it new with a classic tread pattern?
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

thanks

I think the paint job that's on there now suits it, and if you were to do a good one I think you'd need to give it a good polish or it will look out of place.
        I think I agree and and as a bonus.... less work = more riding(or at least, less work)

front tire is old but still kinda newish. Cheng Shin 3" I think its still available -judging by the wear Id say it was put on my the PO but its starting to get a few hairline dry rot cracks though.
        Last edited by Guest; 10-09-2011, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by charbot View Post
          thanks

I think I agree and and as a bonus.... less work = more riding(or at least, less work)

front tire is old but still kinda newish. Cheng Shin 3" I think its still available -judging by the wear Id say it was put on my the PO but its starting to get a few hairline dry rot cracks though.
          More riding is always a good thing

If I was you I'd probably look at replacing that tyre... dry rot cracks aren't good!

sigpic

Comment

Charbot,

Your bikes looking good. I'd paint it out and get a new front tire. I wish I still had my old 400 I bought in 77.

cg
            sigpic
            83 GS1100g
            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Calliway View Post
              I need to update my pictures but here is my restoration project. I had it running the other day and it sounds beautiful.

1977 GS400
              That is thought provoking. Need to repaint mine and I really like the gray, black and red paint scheme.

I haven't seen a GR yet with a paint scheme on the side panels that I like, but I might be able to work out a design based on your bike.

Comment

All are beautifull.. Congratulations.....!

Comment

All are beautyfull....! congratulations..!

Comment

Gs450l

Here's mine. Got it 6 months ago and paid £300 (450$ ?). It's an American import into the UK and had spent over 10 years in some blokes shed. Surprisingly all I did was drain the carbs, change the oil and oil filter and fit a new battery and it fired up straight away. 10K miles on the clock. The high bars took a bit of getting used to but I like the position and its comfortable. It's one of the 1st GS450L's and had points ignition but has been fitted with an aftermarket electronic ignition. I'm looking out for parts to convert it back and also for the side pannel badges. Lovely bike and a keeper.

Comment

Nice score! That's in really good condition considering the circumstances.

And you want to go back to points from electronic ignition? For originality's sake or some other reason?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                        Nice score! That's in really good condition considering the circumstances.

And you want to go back to points from electronic ignition? For originality's sake or some other reason?
                        I'm old enough to remember when electronic ignition on bikes was a novelty - I used to enjoy setting the points! :-)

Lucky you living in Brisbane - great biking weather. I've been there several times and stayed down the coast in Nerang. Cheers and have a Toheys for me ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by XTlegend View Post
                          I'm old enough to remember when electronic ignition on bikes was a novelty - I used to enjoy setting the points! :-)

Lucky you living in Brisbane - great biking weather. I've been there several times and stayed down the coast in Nerang. Cheers and have a Toheys for me ;-)
                          Interestingly enough the majority of vehicles I've owned have all been from the '80's, and the latest car I had which was an '84 model was the only one that had points, everything else had electronic ignition... gotta say I'm not all that keen on points...

As for our Brissie weather... a bit up and down so far but I've had my bike back on the road for just over a week and I've managed to have good enough weather to ride the few times I've had the opportunity so far

Nerang hey? Mt Tambourine down to Canungra there has some nice bike roads

And pass on the Tooheys... but I'll have a Little Creatures for ya'

sigpic

Comment

Touring 1980450E

Since 2010 when I started grad school I have been slowly rebuilding and transforming my $150 450 in to what I want. After selling my truck and my volkswagen, I am left with only my Suzuki to get me around so I got it fitted out right. I can now haul 6 bags of groceries, 20lbs of kitty litter, a 6 pack of beer and all my electronic goodies (should have taken a picture, it was hilarious). Im planning on making a mount on the tail so that I can haul my mountain bike as well, then I will be set to road trip! Enjoy:

Comment

Originally posted by CycloneGS View Post
                              Since 2010 when I started grad school I have been slowly rebuilding and transforming my $150 450 in to what I want. After selling my truck and my volkswagen, I am left with only my Suzuki to get me around so I got it fitted out right. I can now haul 6 bags of groceries, 20lbs of kitty litter, a 6 pack of beer and all my electronic goodies (should have taken a picture, it was hilarious). Im planning on making a mount on the tail so that I can haul my mountain bike as well, then I will be set to road trip! Enjoy:
                              That's fantastic. My son would like to haul his white water kayak around with one of mine.

cg
                              sigpic
                              83 GS1100g
                              2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by CycloneGS View Post
                                +1 to Charlie's comment, awesome!

The one gripe I have with my 450 now is carrying capacity. I have a tank bag, and I made a tool tray to go under my tail piece, but that's it. I've hunted fruitlessly for the optional sports rack that replaces the grab rail, and my scrambler pipe makes throw over panniers a no-go.

My plan is to make a replica sports rack and still in the back of my mind is a set of hard panniers custom made to work with the scrambler pipe... no idea if I'll ever do it though!

How do your panniers and cargo net secure to the bike there?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X