Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fundraising Event Update from Lynda, last night:

"Hi Everyone--
    The fundraiser today was a great success, just judging from the fabulous turnout. Elaine, Donna, and I would like to thank you soooo much for financing our trip to Las Vegas!! Ha ha. Just kidding.
    When I say turnout, I mean people who attended, people who bought raffle tickets, people who donated raffle prizes, people who made donations--some of whom don't even know Tom--the fabulous instructors, and all the volunteers.
    I'll let you know the final total as soon as we tally up everything.
    Thanks to everyone who made this an awesome day. You all really Stepped Up For Tom!!! Wasn't it great to see him, even taking classes and teaching, too! And also Nami, who is Tom's No. 1 supporter.
    Lynda"

Comment

Keith, the Step Up event was promoted mostly on facebook. The theme of Step Up for Tom is a reflection of my job as a group exercise instructor. For the past 8 years I have been an aerobic instructor. And a pretty good one, judging from the turnout yesterday. I have always been a coach, mentor, motivator for the many, many members who have taken my classes. Yesterday they came out to give back to me.

Everyone knows I'm in the midst of a very tough fight. The fight of my life. All the encouragement, love and prayers are helping to fuel my will to win this fight. I will be a survivor.

I haven't been spending a lot of time around here lately. So I want to add a big thank you to GSR members who have gifted me through my PayPal account. It's amazing how we can be so compassionate and caring. I am truely humbled. Every little bit helps as the medical bill are biginning to trickle in. Insurance will cover most, but not all.

God Bless all, and have a Happy Thanksgiving,

Tom

Comment

Here's some nice pics from the fund raiser event held for Tom:

Tom,

As always, it was great talking with you last night and sharing some laughs. And I'm glad to hear the strength and positive attitude in your voice. Keep up the good fight, my friend. You are well on your way to putting this challenge behind you.
        85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
        79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Update from Tom's fundraiser (you can still donate directly to Tom through Paypal at infinami at earthlink dot net (email purposely mis-typed to throw off spammers) - Clicking on the link will take you directly to Paypal - you'll still have to login and type in his email correctly to send him money):

"Here is a summary of all that went on. Some people have asked for it, so they can share it with others. Lynda

STEP UP FOR TOM – Saturday, November 20, 2010

The Step Up For Tom fundraiser was organized by Tom Murphy's friends who wanted to support his cancer challenge. When Tom was recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, countless people asked how they could help. Since he teaches Step and other classes, his friends and colleagues wanted to Step Up For Tom.

The response was overwhelming and the fundraising event was a wild success, with a grand total of $5300 raised. Over 100 people attended the event. There were many others who were unable to be there but made donations and bought raffle tickets. Some supporters don't even know Tom but were moved to donate after hearing his story. All of this was possible with the caring and generous outpouring of those who stepped up to donate, recognize, and support Tom Murphy. Tom is a man who is a fighter with immense courage, strength, and a caring heart. Through fitness and friendship, he has made a difference with his coaching, encouragement, and motivation. Tom showed he hasn't lost his teaching mojo during Kathy Yokota's Step class. He and his wife, Nami, even took some of the classes!
          All proceeds raised from the event will help defray any treatment and living expenses. Donations are non-tax deductible.

HEARTFELT THANKS

Special recognition and appreciation to Nanci Mora, the owner of Core Fitness Studio, for graciously offering the use of her wonderful facility. With her support, guidance, and generosity, Step Up For Tom became a successful reality! Thank you, Nanci! We also want to acknowledge Antoinette Gemo and Kristin Teter of 24-Hour Fitness for their help and support.

So many in the exercise-fitness community offered to volunteer their time and energy to teach some of the most popular classes around. Thank you Joel Aldape (Yoga), Debbie Chrisman (Body Sculpt), Lil Cottrell and Dianne Hill (Body Pump), Veronica Garrido (Turbo Kick Boxing), Lollo Hill (Yoga), Chris Mitchem (Double Step) ,Veronica Presedo-Floyd (Zumba) and Kathy Yokota (Step).

THANKS A MILLION TO RAFFLE DONORS

With gratitude, we want to thank the generous donors who donated outstanding prizes valued over $1,500 for the raffle drawing: Anonymous donors for $100 cash, $25 gift cards (to Starbucks, See's, Barnes & Noble), Patty Osuga, Gloriane Hirata, Jean Suzuki, Donna Mar, Nanci Mora (owner of Core Fitness), the Gruber Family, Miruna Vlad (DDS), Kazoo Restaurant, Cascal Restaurant, Anna Comstock, Shelley Ash, Karen Campbell, Lollo Hill, Nancy Otomori, Kikusushi Restaurant, Cindy Cooper/Susan Alden, Ana Crump, 24-Hour Fitness, Avio Vineyards, Nails A-1, & e Salon.
          KUDOS TO THE VOLUNTEERS
          The following helping hands made for a smooth and successful event: Antoinette Gemo, Leigh Monichon, Najwa Salame, Jane Chen, Diane Sanchez Costello, Tricia Severetti and daughter Sara, Diane Vanitegem, Toni Alleyn, Jenny Tang, Carolyn Freitas, Cindy Cooper, Linda Fong-Baker, Yvonne O'Connell, Judy and Dave Sugish, & Linda Pence. Many thanks to Jenny Tang for also handling the big task of the Facebook postings.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST
          Words can't describe each and everyone's generosity, kindness and friendship. None of this could have been possible without the help & support of each and every one of YOU! Tom is sincerely grateful and humbled by this outpouring of love and support--people giving back to him for the impact he's made on their lives.

Elaine Valdez, Donna Mar, & Lynda Ellingson
          Co-Organizers"

Last edited by Guest; 11-23-2010, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Tom, Bruce, Steve...thanks for the info, pics and the updates.
            Have a fantastic Thanksgiving!
            Prayers sent your way Tom on a constant basis.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Last night's update from Lynda:

"Tom's not feeling too well today (felt better yesterday). He's down to 159 lbs. (was 166) although he's trying to eat as much as he can. However, he's nauseated and feels like he can smell the chemo. cocktail, which is not a pleasant smell. This, of course, makes eating more difficult. Hopefully, this will all pass as the chemo dissipates. He also feels like he might be catching a cold--keep your fingers crossed about this as we all know his immune system is down due to the chemo. Keep those prayers and positive thoughts going his way.

On a brighter note, his parents just got in from Phoenix and will be visiting for a couple of days. He'll be filling them in on all the happenings of Saturday.

Tom loves to receive e-mails and cards. Please feel free to write to him."

Keep up the good work, everyone. You guys are awesome!!!

Comment

(I've been thinking of poking my head in the sight again, and this seems like the perfect opportunity to say something.)

Tom,
                It's good to hear how "this-here" forum family has pulled together for you... They are miracle workers, I tell ya'... I just can't say it enough.
                This forum has performed more than one miracle for me, honest! (Sorry, didn't mean to sound greedy.)
                Not all of us could attend or contribute, but, you know you are in the prayers of all who know you, especially me.
                I never doubted you for a minute...This is just a test.
                Love ya,
                pmint

Comment

Lynda's update from yesterday:

"Tom's feeling much better today and has a house full of people--parents Terri & Mike, brother Michael, daughter Michelle, and some friends. They were playing poker when I called--not for money , just with chips--so I didn't have to report them for illegal gambling. Didn't ask if it was strip poker. He ate really well yesterday--turkey and all the trimmings. He also made his traditional after-Thanksgiving turkey soup. You Locus colleagues will remember that, as he would bring a big pot of it to work the following Monday.
                  He still has the sniffles, but they never materialized into a full-blown cold. Yay! Next chemo is projected for next Friday.

His parents and brother drove out from Arizona and will be leaving Sunday. Michelle came for Thanksgiving and will fly home tomorrow."

Comment

Another good update from Lynda:

"Tom is still feeling well and continues to have a great appetite. Ate a double cheeseburger and curly fries for lunch and 4 pieces of chicken with rice-a-roni for dinner. His weight is back up to 165! He's mostly shaken off the bad side effects of the chemo., except for some gastrointestinal problems which I shall not elaborate on. His next chemo is projected for Friday. Stay tuned."

Comment

My best continues to go out to Tom and I hope that you can get through this quickly. Take care and keep your chin up.
                      sigpic
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                        My best continues to go out to Tom and I hope that you can get through this quickly. Take care and keep your chin up.
                        x 1,000,000! Keep it up Tom!
                        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Tonight's update from Lynda:

"Tom was able to get his chemo today (yay!).
                          It's always a very long day for Tom & Nami. They get to the Clinic at the VA in Palo Alto at 8 am, he sees his doctor and gets his blood drawn, then waits for a couple hours for the results. If his blood counts are good, he goes across the hall to the Infusion Center and sits there for about 5-6 hours watching the fluid drip, drip in. Nami usually leaves and goes back later to pick him up. It's 7:15 pm right now, and they probably just got home. Whew!

Tom still has a good appetite and was happy to learn that the doctors plan to do another MRI soon, hopefully next week.

He got about 130 e-mail/Facebook birthday wishes. Awesome job, everyone. He sincerely thanks you all."

Comment

Happy Belated Birthday, Tom! Here's wishing you many more birthdays to come!

Regards,
                            Last edited by Guest; 12-04-2010, 02:32 AM.

Comment

Happy belated birthday. Just for my own sake since I never was around when my dad went through his radiation treatment back in 1991/2, are you allowed to eat/drink while sitting there during the infusion?
                              sigpic
                              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Here's the handsome bugger sitting down on the job!

85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                                79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Working...
                                X