No announcement yet.

Please give your support and prayers to Tom MLC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You guys (and gals) are amazing. I never expected this fund raiser thing. Still, I rmember how everyone stepped up to the plate to save RenoBruce's bike. So I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Truth be told, my wife and I have been fretting about the finances. We've always managed to keep a small reserve in case someone got sick or layed off. So here we are. I'm on a leave of absence from my job at the gym, and can't file for disability because I still have my day job. Insurance will cover most of the medical bills. But not all.

So your generosity is a blessing. I am humbled.

Believe it or not, a very large group of members from my gym classes are getting sweaty to raise funds for me. They will be participating in several group exercise classes on Sat, Nov 20th. Sort of like a walk-a-thon.

Every little bit helps. And I'll make a promise that if any funds remain unused, it will be donated to the American Cancer Society, where it can be used to benefit others.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom MLC View Post
      You guys (and gals) are amazing. I never expected this fund raiser thing. Still, I rmember how everyone stepped up to the plate to save RenoBruce's bike. So I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Truth be told, my wife and I have been fretting about the finances. We've always managed to keep a small reserve in case someone got sick or layed off. So here we are. I'm on a leave of absence from my job at the gym, and can't file for disability because I still have my day job. Insurance will cover most of the medical bills. But not all.

So your generosity is a blessing. I am humbled.

Believe it or not, a very large group of members from my gym classes are getting sweaty to raise funds for me. They will be participating in several group exercise classes on Sat, Nov 20th. Sort of like a walk-a-thon.

Every little bit helps. And I'll make a promise that if any funds remain unused, it will be donated to the American Cancer Society, where it can be used to benefit others.
      Great to see you "drop in," Tom! Continue to feel good and we'll look forward to more positive information as it comes down the line. I believe Lynda is forwarding an email I sent to her, so will watch for your direct response in the next day or so.

Regards,
      Steve

Comment

Tom, you should know how we do things around here by now. This is an intuitive bunch of folks around here and large enough to do a bit of good for those we care about. This type of thing could happen to any one of us at any time. Over the years there has been at least a half dozen efforts to get some help to members. There was the JoJo fundraiser, the raffle for the widow of Krash where the winner got a great bike, Bruce's effort, Busafied, and TCK. I'm probably forgetting one or two other efforts. Then there have been things like what everyone did to help support my great-nieces entry in a contest to win a scholarship. All good stuff. Just know we care and that this is to take some of the worry off your mind.

Comment

Tom confirmed to me last night that he can administer his own paypal account & it's linked to his usual email address.

Lynda gave his address above infinami (at) earthlink.net - Steve, lets take the @ out on the post of the email (helps to stop spam) & remove his physical address on your post as this is a public forum..... (maybe ask people to PM you/me for it instead)

Dan
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Thanks for the update on the Paypal issue, Dan. Lynda was supposed to forward my request directly to Tom but I hadn't yet heard from him on it so this helps. Also, good catch on the email / address info - it's been properly corrected to throw off spammers... I will give Bruce the updated info so he can edit the first post with all the relavent info...

Regards,

Comment

Wasn't the physical address just the bank info? I worry about account numbers being available for all to see but as long as the routing number isn't posted I guess it's safe enough.

Comment

Nah Tom's home address was on one of the posts.... don't want any unwelcome visitors.

Mind you... as long as he puts that 1100L nearest the garage door they'll soon move on...
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                  Mind you... as long as he puts that 1100L nearest the garage door they'll soon move on...
                  That would make me turn around and run. Yikes.

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy View Post
                    Thanks for the update on the Paypal issue, Dan. Lynda was supposed to forward my request directly to Tom but I hadn't yet heard from him on it so this helps. Also, good catch on the email / address info - it's been properly corrected to throw off spammers... I will give Bruce the updated info so he can edit the first post with all the relavent info...

Regards,
                    Bless her heart for trying to help out. Lynda knows zip about paypal. So I told her we'd take that burden away from her. Yes my paypal account is linked to the e-mail addy mentioned. I wonder what happened to the idea of someone here (Dan volunteered) to administer the funds and then make one large transfer to my account? Any way you guys want to handle it is fine by me.

Once again, God Bless you all.

Comment

Bless her heart for trying to help out. Lynda knows zip about paypal. So I told her we'd take that burden away from her. Yes my paypal account is linked to the e-mail addy mentioned. I wonder what happened to the idea of someone here (Dan volunteered) to administer the funds and then make one large transfer to my account? Any way you guys want to handle it is fine by me.

I'll post this on the first thread, but make sure that if you send a paypal payment that you use the "gift" option. That way no one will get charged any fees.
                      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Tom, Dan could still handle Paypal donations for you and transfer it in one large sum, but we thought it would be easier and faster for you if the electronic funds simply went right into your account ... that was the reasoning for checking with you regarding your own Paypal account. If you would prefer not to deal with it than by all means just say so and we'll go back to "plan A," hehe!

Feel good, Pal!
                        Steve

Comment

Here is Lynda's latest update:

"Tom has been able to eat better lately and has gained 4 lbs--is now at 164!

Some of you have asked what caused his platelets to go down. It's one of the bad side effects of chemo. Unfortunately, chemo medicines can't distinguish bad cell from good cells. They just try to zap everything, and that's why they usually cause so many bad side effects. Hopefully, these extra few days will give his platelets a chance to reach a safe level."

Comment

Lynda's latest update:

"Tom goes for his second dose of chemo tomorrow. Let's hope his blood count (platelets especially) will be high enough for it to be a go. He has gained another pound--now at 165! Good work, Tom. Saw him today--he's gotten what I call a "military haircut." He looks good. He was perky though understandably a bit apprehensive about tomorrow. His eyes sure lit up when he was telling the story of how he and Nami met--it was love at first sight and within a week they were making plans to get married. So romantic.

This e-mail group has 70 members and is growing every day. Awesome and thanks to all of you for caring."

I will let Lynda know about the size of the forum that watches this thread, so she can add to the "70" she knows about on the email list...

Regards,

Comment

This is the buzz cut to which Lynda is referring.

And no, my helmet doesn't fit anymore!

Comment

Tom,
                                I will definitely keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Keep you family close and we will all keep the positve vibes for going to cure your cancer
                                1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
                                Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

Working...
                                X