Please give your support and prayers to Tom MLC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
    are you allowed to eat/drink while sitting there during the infusion?
    I usually pack a lunch with sando & a few snacks. They also have a snack basket I can raid, plus bottled water or Ensure milk shakes if I ask.

Originally posted by GS1100GK
    A meal tray with a laptop and cellular modem works nicely

Glad to see you smile. Your attitude can make a big difference in your results. A positive attitude and time spent in earnest prayer can make all the difference. And it certainly affects those around you.

Our prayers are with you and your family, Tom.

- John
    I brought my laptop and cellular modem for the first session. But the signal sucks in that room. So I pitched that idea. Now I bring my Nook electronic reader to pass the time. There is also a small tv with headphones available at each chair. I got to watch game 4 of the World Series.

Comment

Best wishes

I'm new around these parts, but want to add my best wishes and admiration (and prayers) for you Tom. Can't keep a good man down, as they say.

Best,

Jim

Comment

I wanted to again take a moment to thank the collective. Even though I haven't spent much time here lately, it's hearwarming to know I haven't been forgotten. I often joke that you can't get rid of me that easily! Nice to see it's true.

For the most part, we members of the GSR have never met. Those lucky folks who attend rallies, or live close enough to forge friendships are just a small percentage of the whole forum. Yet we all seem so much closer than anyone might believe. All because of a motorcycle.

I want to say thank you to all the friends I have met, and all the friends I have yet to meet. Thank you for all the prayers, well wishes, bithday wishes, etc. All the success stories you have shared fuels my own determination to win this fight. More than ever I am convinced, you can't get rid of me this easily!

There are many more roads to ride. And so many friends I want to share them with. Here's looking forward to putting in a few miles with all of you!

Merry Christmas,

Happy Hanukkah,

Happy Holidays to all,

Tom

Comment

Happy belated birthday Tom! Yes, there's a lot more roads to ride!
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Thanks for the personal "pop - in," Tom! Glad to hear you are managing this as well as can be expected ... and on that note, here's the latest update from Lynda:

"Tom's now up to 168 lbs. Ate a big breakfast today and continues to have a good appetite. As with his last chemo, he has that extreme sensitivity to cold, affecting his hands, throat, jaw--quite painful even. Hopefully, this will pass in a few days. He and Nami will be at the dog park tomorrow, rain or shine, if any of you are involved with that."

Now ... if you two only had a dog!

Regards,

Comment

Hard Year....

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
              My best buddy Tom came up to see me and participate in Street Vibrations last weekend, and dropped a bomb on me and my wife. He had been experiencing some pain in his stomach area, and after running some tests, they found a tumor on his pancreas. Earlier this week they did a biopsy, and yes, it's cancer. We don't yet know what the plan of action is. I assume they will take a closer look at the tumor and determine if it has spread, or figure out what they will do. He is strong and healthy (aerobic instructor), so whatever the treatment is, he is in good shape to handle it. Please give your support in any way you can...a prayer, an email to him, etc. I greatly believe in the power of prayer and positive thinking.

Tom, if you see this, please remember that you are like a brother to me, and I love you lots! Me and Beth are there for you through all of this. Your strength will overcome this!

EDIT: From Tom's friend Lynda, reposted from planecrazy's post:

"Hello--
              Due to popular demand, I've asked Tom to open a bank account so anyone can send a donation directly there.
              Make checks/money orders, etc. payable to THOMAS MURPHY and mail directly to:
              Union Bank
              1109 E. Arques Ave.
              Sunnyvale, CA 94085
              Account No. 1381111549
              The check does not have to be endorsed by Tom before depositing.
              Please attach a note requesting your gift be deposited to Tom's account.
              Be sure to include the account number.
              Your name will be kept completely confidential. If you want Tom to know you've made this gift, please e-mail him directly: infinami at earthlink dot net (email purposely mis-typed to throw off spammers)
              NOTE: THIS IS CONSIDERED A GIFT AND IS NOT TAX DEDUCTIBLE.
              Thank you so much.
              Lynda"

EDIT: You can also send a Paypal donation directly to Tom using the above email address - please be sure to mark it as a "gift" in Paypal and pick up the small Paypal charge (if any) on your end, so that all the funds you've earmarked for Tom go to him entirely... THANKS!

Please help if you can. Tom has lost his income from his fitness instructor job, so anything you can do will certainly help.
              OMG the hits just keep on coming this year... Beat this Tom I plan many more trips down to be graced with many of you alls company and differences in opiniins. Beat this thing!!

I thought I had speed bumps but it seems everyone I know is fighting something Good Luck to Tom and to all of us!

Comment

How 'bout those Giants!
                I have been a die-hard fan since the Willie McCovey days.
                Positive thoughts sent your way, Tom.
                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Today's update from Lynda:

"Tom just found out that he's scheduled to have a CT scan on Monday, Dec. 20, at 3 pm. Originally, they had said they'd do an MRI but they've changed it to the CT, which is what originally found the tumor.

He's still feeling some bad side effects from Friday's chemo--mostly gastrointestinal problems and some weight loss (now 162) despite eating well. As he says, it's a rollercoaster ride. His sensitivity to cold isn't as bad as a couple of days ago.

He continues to go to work every day and/or work from home, other than the days he has chemo, of course. He's determined to live life as normally as possible and is planning on visiting his family in Arizona for Christmas."

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy View Post
                    .....here's the latest update from Lynda:

[I]"Tom's now up to 168 lbs. .....he has that extreme sensitivity to cold, .....I]

Okay, bit o'humor...out of context one might say that you're assimilating into a GS....sensitivity to cold and what not. Just so long as you don't need to be switched into the prime position and given a little choke to get going in the AM and all must be pretty good!

Keep your spirits up! Watching dogs just, well, be dogs is a very good distraction as is all the GSer's pulling for you. BTW, if you need a chiuauha to add to that distraction let me know...I'll fed ex you one for Christmas...just don't tell my wife!!

Comment

Tonight's update from Lynda:

"Tom's "cold" or whatever it is, has gotten worse. He has a cough that is producing some yucky stuff, and he will get a chest x-ray tomorrow. Luckily there is a VA Clinic in So. San Jose, where he'll stop on his way home from work (Morgan Hill) tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed, as he's projected to get his next chemo. this Friday.

He's still eating & drinking well. Current weight is 164!"

Comment

Tom,
                        You should carry around some of that hand sanitizer.
                        And USE it from now on... Can't be too careful, ya know...
                        Sending Blessings, Healings and Love..
                        pmint

Comment

Tonight's update from Lynda:

"Tom woke up with a fever of 100.8 today. He's been instructed to report anything over 100.5. He went to the doctor and had a chest x-ray and urine & blood tests, all of which were normal. Fortunately, his lungs looked clear. As a precaution, he's been put on a 4-day course of antibiotics and has no restrictions regarding his activities. He feels ok, except for the cough, and is able to sleep well after taking cough medicine. Tonight his temp. was down to 99.6. His weight is 165, and his goal is to get up to 170."

Comment

Thanks Steve,
                            Hopefully he only caught a cold or flu bug. Hope he can fight it off easily.
                            I hope it's not a staff infection; they are getting so 'normal' these days...
                            Glad they put him on antibiotics.
                            God Be With Him, Send my best...Thanks!
                            pmint

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about the cold but we're getting in to that season. I was wondering if the docs had advised a flu shot? I had never taken them myself but having had the by-pass surgery, it was strongly recommended so I took it. I guess now they are kind of multi strain types covering both the expected seasonal strain and the H1N1 variety. Hope they work.

On the subject of appetite and putting on weight you could try a bottle of Guiness about an hour before supper. Back in my highschool days I was 140lbs and 5'10" at age 16 when I started to play rugby. I was kind of light so the old man put me on the Guiness and after 4 weeks I had gotten up to 170lbs. I stayed that weight into my 20s but by my 30s I had creeped up to a high of 210lbs. Thankfully, I am now back down to 170lbs. and shooting for 160lbs.

It may not work for you but it is chock full of good stuff so its worth a try unless you've been warned off.

Hope you feel better and can shake off the cold before the Christmas craziness starts.

Thinking positive thoughts for you my friend.

Spyug

Comment

Last night's update from Lynda:

"I happened to call Tom when he was out to dinner with his wife and his boss. Good to know he's enjoying himself. He's feeling much better, after 3 days of antibiotics. His cough is better and his temp. has been normal. He's feeling stronger and healthier. He said that if he didn't know he was sick, he wouldn't think he was sick at all. Weight is 166--only 4 away from his goal of 170. Awesome!!
                                Please think positive thoughts that he'll be able to get his chemo this Friday."

Comment

Working...
                                X