Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Simon and Deb's Excellent Adventure ........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simon and Deb's Excellent Adventure ........

Over the last few years , Deb and I have contemplated various motorcycle related holidays :-
    - ship our bike ('79 'S) to the States for three months
    - ship our bike to N.Z
    - buy a bike and store it in N.Z
    Each time we would get all excited to begin with , then , talk ourselves out of it .
    "To expensive" , "We could use the money for something else" , "only Tossers do that kind of $hit" , etc .
    For the sake of a pic , here's our bike , in travel mode .......

I'd finished a night shift roster and , following a couple of cleansing ales , checked The GSResources . Josh (TheCafeKid) re-advertised a REAL NICE 750 . For some reason (beer goggles ?) " It looked good to me " . the price was right (about 30% of what you'd have to pay down here) .
    Tidy . Collectable . States . This could be fun .
    PM , PM , Phone , PM
    Job done .
    I'd asked Josh if he could store the bike for us between visits . The plan was to come over once or twice a year to ride up and down and around and about . Then eventually we'd ship it back "home" .
    He graciously (even a bit enthusiastically) agreeed .

I'd just "shook hands" to buy a bike , site unseen (again) , on the other side of the world , from .............. persons unknown .

The adventure begins .....................

The quickly formulated plan (lubed by another ale) was to fly to the other side of the world , ride a bike we'd never seen , on the opposite side of the road , to places we'd never heard of , with .......... persons unknown .

Bear in mind this all happened in the space of a couple of beers .

Now , how should I break the news to Deb when she gets home from work ?

"I've done a bad , bad , thing " (Me)
    "You idiot .You've bought another bl@@dy motor bike , haven't you " (Deb) .
    "It's in America" (Me) .
    "When do we go ? " (Legend) .

That's it . No time to talk ourselves out of it this time . Done . Finished . We were like a couple of school kids . VERY exciting .

Booked our travel the next day and a couple of months later on the 12th September , Sunday , at 2.30am we're off to catch a plane from Cairns to Sydney then on to LA. The 14 hours from Sydney to LA was the pits . Pretty gruelling stuff . Plenty of free entertainment with movies , games food and snacks etc (Qantas) . Buuuut , it was on of those double decker Air Buses . And it was FULL . (Chocka block , Rose ) . It was like being canned meat . Still , gotta do these things if you're an adventurer .As soon as we landed , it wasn't so bad .

Cruised through US customs and immigration , in LA no worries .
    Shoes off , pockets empty , sniffer dogs , metal detectors , x-rays , facial scans and very serious looking people with badges and guns welcomed us to the land of the free ....

The adventure begins (again)......................

Two little Aussie battlers take on America .

Deb and Me (I'm the good looking one ) ..............

To be continued ................................

Cheers , Simon and Deb .

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Great start

Great start old mate keep the story and photos coming!

I'm starting to sing "Route 66" and "California Dream'in".
    Johno

current rides 1981 GS1000G and 2005 GSX1400
    1977 Kawasaki KZ400 D4

previous bikes 1978 GS1000HC
    1977 GS400
    1974 Montesa 250
    1960s Kawasaki 175

Comment

Good stuff Simon, looking forward to the rest! Oh, and you don't look a thing like Mr Katter
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I've been looking forward to this one......
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by simon kuether View Post
          The quickly formulated plan (lubed by another ale) was to fly to the other side of the world , ride a bike we'd never seen , on the opposite side of the road , to places we'd never heard of , with .......... persons unknown .

Bear in mind this all happened in the space of a couple of beers .
          Could this be considered PROOF that Aussies have the best beer?

Subscribed.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yes subscribed. Now don't make us wait forever to hear the rest of this please?
            sigpic
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

OK, I've also subscribed. Ian and I had a great time last year with his adventure here (he's from down under also), I took him on a 900 + mile run over the course of 3 days while he was here. Hope to make it back to the upside down side of things again someday.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Could this be considered PROOF that Aussies have the best beer?

Subscribed.

Maybe the "strongest," Steve!

Subscribed!

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy View Post
                  Maybe the "strongest," Steve!

Subscribed!
                  Not hardly. I turned Simon on to a couple three that curled his toes here. Chimay Grand Reserve, Stones Arrogant Bastard, Stones Russian Imperial Stout and Dragons Milk Stout. Some of which were near the state max of 12%ABV. good, potent stuff. I think he liked em Ok

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                    Not hardly. I turned Simon on to a couple three that curled his toes here. Chimay Grand Reserve, Stones Arrogant Bastard, Stones Russian Imperial Stout and Dragons Milk Stout. Some of which were near the state max of 12%ABV. good, potent stuff. I think he liked em Ok
                    I was just joshing, Josh! It made Simon's story (and Steve's rationale) sound better, hehe!

Carry on...

Comment

Good beers , one and all . Didn't have me doin' the "garden hose" shuffle though .

Maybe next year . You lot look like you could use some learnin'.

Cheers , Simon .

Comment

Great story mates!!! Keep the installments coming...

If your travels take you very far from your LA starting point, know that you've got friendly GSers all over the country... I'm in Maryland, about as far away as Perth is from Sydney, so maybe you won't make it here... or maybe you will... cheers,

Comment

Originally posted by MikeJ View Post
                          Great story mates!!! Keep the installments coming...

If your travels take you very far from your LA starting point, know that you've got friendly GSers all over the country... I'm in Maryland, about as far away as Perth is from Sydney, so maybe you won't make it here... or maybe you will... cheers,
                          They were actually a stones throw from Maryland. They left LA a couple days after to come to Dayton Ohio of all places. We promptly left for West Va, VA, and NC. (blueridge parkway). But I'll let Simon tell the story... And oh, Simon, I DO have some incriminating photos of you with a garden hose in your back pocket

Comment

been waiting for this one, guys!
                            1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                              They were actually a stones throw from Maryland. They left LA a couple days after to come to Dayton Ohio of all places. We promptly left for West Va, VA, and NC. (blueridge parkway). But I'll let Simon tell the story... And oh, Simon, I DO have some incriminating photos of you with a garden hose in your back pocket
                              It's ONLY incriminating when I've got my hose in my hand .

Cheers , Simon .

Comment

Working...
                              X