Voltage Leak .01 amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Voltage Leak .01 amps

Here goes. I noticed my battery keeps discharging. Checked the stator pages and get good charging across the battery.

Put my voltage meter on amps and pulled the main fuse. Connected the amp meter across the two terminals and get a reading of .01 amps.

Pulled the red wire from the R/R and the amps goes to zero.

Does this mean my R/R is bad?

Thanks

Hi,

It could be a bad r/r unit. Is the AC output of the stator within spec? What kind of voltage drop do you measure between the r/r output and the battery positive? Do this: Take the ground wire from the r/r unit and connect it directly to the negative terminal of the battery. Clean all the electrical connections, including the fuse box, and retest.

And check out this information:

More On The Stator Papers

Charging System Health
    Mr. posplayr has put together a comprehensive tutorial on keeping your Suzuki GS charging system healthy:
    GS Charging System Health (PDF file <1MB)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by 081dbx64 View Post
      Here goes. I noticed my battery keeps discharging. Checked the stator pages and get good charging across the battery.

Put my voltage meter on amps and pulled the main fuse. Connected the amp meter across the two terminals and get a reading of .01 amps.

Pulled the red wire from the R/R and the amps goes to zero.

Does this mean my R/R is bad?

Thanks
      are you using a 6 wire honda? if so you need to solve the biggest poblem with isuing the Honda as the sense wire will draw current when the bike is off. Normally you need to us a swiched source but alas that is hrd to find that doesnt have a large drop. The coil relay mod is best to use as a switched refv for the honda.

Comment

Ok. I am using a stock R/R. It's the original that came with the bike. I did another test. Left the red wire connected and disconnected the three stator wires. Then I checked for voltage from the connections on the R/R where the stator wires went. I get voltage out of 1 of them and the other two none.

This leads me to think it's leaking voltage. Will check the stator output today. But when the battery is charged I get 15.6 volts at 4000 rpm with the lights off and when they are on I only get 12.8 or so across the battery.

Comment

Votage is preasure, Amps is Flow.
          So it means, in garden hose talk, that there is a flow of current, like a small leak in the hose when the tap is on off.
          Is your Multi a decent one and accurate?

Comment

I guess I speed read the OP so after going back to read am very confused as to what he is doing. If you want to test for a trickle current then pull the positive lead of the battery and put the amp meter in series with that. You should be able to see a small 0.01 amp ???? leak .

Now with that in place, engine off, you start removing components until the current draw goes away.

Comment

you are making this more complicated than it really is.

checking static draw -- (meter on amps) ( hooked in series at the battery ground- disconnected from bike - battery negative post to negative cable or frame )

amp draw is done on the negative side of DC circuits. positive side amp tests will give you false readings.
              SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

That's exactly what I did. Once I pulled the red wire to the R/R the amp draw went to 0. So I know it's the R/R that is leaking.

Comment

I believe I have a good meter, it's always seemed to work.

Comment

I already moved the ground of the R/R to the negative battery post and cleaned all the terminals.

Comment

I tested the stator output. All possible connections give me a reading over 70 volts.

Comment

Originally posted by trippivot View Post
                        checking static draw -- (meter on amps) ( hooked in series at the battery ground- disconnected from bike - battery negative post to negative cable or frame )

amp draw is done on the negative side of DC circuits. positive side amp tests will give you false readings.
                        It is safer to use the negative side of the battery, but unless you get alot of sparks then the measurement should be the same (+) or (-).

Comment

Hi,

With what you have observed, I would suspect the r/r unit too. Hit up member duaneage for a good replacement Honda unit. Or go whole hog and get a Compufire unit depending on your budget.

BassCliff

Comment

I was thinking about the electrosport. That's what the stator papers said? Is that a good choice.

Comment

Hi,

The Electrosport r/r unit is more or less a stock replacement. I think the units from duaneage are better, with a larger heat sink area and a "sense" wire (6 wires total) to more closely monitor the charging output. The Compufire unit is an even more heavy-duty series regulator which can lower your stator temps as compared to the shunting type r/r units.

I've used duaneage's units in the past and have no complaints. He's a great guy to deal with. Search the forum for "Compufire" and read up on the information that Mr. posplayr has posted. It's good stuff too.

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                              X