Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question regarding gearbox on '83 GS400E.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question regarding gearbox on '83 GS400E.

Hey folks,

New here.

I recently bought a Suzuki GS400E as a project bike, and also as my first bike for next spring. I got it for an unbelievably low price, and it's in excellent condition. I need to know something though, about the gear box.

It currently isn't running, but I was toying around with the clutch/shifter trying to get used to shifting. I have a concern regarding the fact that it will go into what I know is 1st, then shift into 2nd, and then 3rd, but I can't get it to click when trying to move it into 4th. Is this simply because it's not running? Or is there a definite problem that will need to be dealt with(or may not be worth dealing with at all).

Remember, I'm not afraid to resell this bike. I got it for less than the tires are worth.

Thanks guys,

RAZR

That's the best way to buy, when the price is definitely right. We will definitely be requiring pictures.
    As for the shifting, it needs to be running to shift correctly, what you are describing is completely normal. If you have your beautiful assistant rotate the rear wheel as you shift, it should work sort of normal, you can go through all the gears and back down, it just won't be as quick as it would if you were riding, but at least you can ensure all of the gears are shifting correctly. Just so you know, you never have to push very hard on the shift lever, very light toe pressure is all it needs, never a kick like the Harely guys do.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I actually feel stupid for asking this now seeing as I figured that out about 10 minutes ago in my garage. Oh well! Gotta learn somehow...

Comment

That's cool, got any pics?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Yes please,I'd like pics to.Got a soft spot in my heart for the GS400.Had 2 a 81 and a 82.You be in Canada is my guess
          Last edited by Guest; 10-23-2010, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. RAZRBAKK,

Perhaps you're in Arkansas? Let me share some GS lovin'!

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Here's a few pics I snapped yesterday.

Now remember, I'm only 18 and this is my first official bike. Yes I'm in Canada, and thanks a lot for that extensive information.

Glad I found this place...

Comment

Working...
              X