Oil filter cap - studs/bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil filter cap - studs/bolts

When changing the oil filter on my gs750e, the threads were worn and wouldn't hold the nut. I took out the studs and fitted ss allen head bolts instead.
    Will this be a problem?

I believe it is not recommended to use bolts because it makes you have to screw in and out of the threads more often.

Comment

It won't be a problem in the short-term, but, as stated, everytime the oil is changed, the bolts have to go into and out of the block and could, over time wear out the threads.

I'd just get some new studs and nuts. Heck, they're really cheap.
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Yes ok, I'll get studs and nuts instead then. I'll reuse the engine oil since the bike hasnt moved since I changed it.
        Thank you for your swift help, both.

Comment

Save yourself the trouble and just change them back to studs at the next oil change, when you take the filter out again.

Comment

as long as you use copper anti seize compound, bolts will not give you any problems
            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

It took many years for me to finally work out why the threads on those oil filter studs strip. I always changed the oil when the engine was hot, so found it difficult to work inbetween the exhausts. My theory is that tightening the nuts against the considerable spring pressure of the cap results in too much force being put onto that small size fastener.

I now wait until the engine is much cooler and use a glove on one hand to push the cap right up against the oil filter housing, then turn the nuts on all the way by hand (there is no more spring pressure, so it is easy), and use a wrench just for final tightening.
              1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

I think it's more that Suzuki made these studs out of pressed sawdust and cheddar cheese. They wear out and strip unbelievably easily.

Also, don't forget the tender loving care of so many POs, who like to snug things like this down with a 1/2" breaker bar.

Anyway, yeah, just get some studs and replace at the next oil change. No need to take it apart again. And yes, bolts will eventually wear out the soft aluminum threads in the block, even with antiseize. Why risk this at all?
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                X