Making It Easier To Select Neutral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making It Easier To Select Neutral

I have read here on the site a couple of times lately with guys having trouble selecting neutral, particularly when the bike has come to a halt.

I tried this trick not knowing whether it would work or not. As it was it worked out really well and I can select neutral very easily when the bike is at a halt. before I did this mod I had to select neutral while the bike was moving, which is not always possible.

The mod is to replace the standard cam stopper No.2 spring ('77 GS550) with a heavier one from a GS650 which I pulled from a spare "G" motor I had in the shed (so I cannot be guaranteed it is the OE spring but anything heavier than the original would be good). The difference is chalk and cheese. It goes into neutral so much easier now. See following pic for comparison between the two springs.

The original 550 spring on the right, the heavier 650 spring on the left.

Any questions?

The one with less coils should be the stronger of the two?
    Or is the wire that much thinner?
    What am I missing here?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
      The mod is to replace the standard cam stopper No.2 spring ...

Any questions?
      Ummm, YEAH.

Just where is this spring?

I have a sneaking suspicion that such an animal does not exist on my 850s.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Chalk and cheese?

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          The one with less coils should be the stronger of the two?
          Or is the wire that much thinner?
          What am I missing here?

I agree with Tom here. The spring with more coils will be softer.

My newest 1000 doesn't like to find neutral when the bike isn't moving. Maybe I need a spring with more coils?

BTW (for Steve): that spring is for the neutral stop. It pushes a metal plunger that engages with a notch on the shift drum.
          Last edited by Nessism; 11-08-2010, 01:12 AM.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            BTW (for Steve): that spring is for the neutral stop. It pushes a metal plunger that engages with a notch on the shift drum.
            So, you're saying it's inside the engine?

You have to split the cases to change it?

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

OK Thanks for the queries (queeries)!!!!!!!!!!!

TOM: The spring on the left with more coils is much stiffer than the one on the right. The wire on the left one is much thicker, although the pic does not really show this. The spring on the right I could compress easily between my fingers (quite soft), easily compressed. The spring on the right is much harder to compress, also it could be the material they are made from.

Having said that I don't know if the original spring in the 550 was the one it came from the factory with and like wise with the 650 spring.

STEVE: All motors/transmissions have these springs, stoppers, etc. It is how you find neutral and no you don't have to disassemble the motor to get at it. There is a bolt type thingo the screws into the crankcase which is hollowed out to accept the spring and the other end of the spring goes into a nodule that presses against the shift drum and goes into an indentation when neutral is selected.

With the stronger spring in place there is a much more positive feel to finding neutral.

Just for you Steve, '82 GS850G shift mechanism and so others know what I am talking about.

The spring we are talking about is #21

This is the neutral plunger position on the 550s, the larger motors have the fitting from underneath the motor.

Last edited by Guest; 11-08-2010, 02:46 AM.

Comment

Thanks, Don.

I would guess that, because of the gasket involved, that oil would come out when the bolt is removed?

Next time I change oil on my wife's bike, I will have to check that spring. Her bike has been hard to find neutral.

Last edited by Steve; 11-08-2010, 02:57 AM.
                sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Thanks, Don.

I would guess that, because of the gasket involved, that oil would come out when the bolt is removed?

Next time I change oil on my wife's bike, I will have to check that spring. Her bike has been hard to find neutral.

Yes Steve, luckily mine is on top, although I did replace mine when the cases were apart. But I can't believe the difference it has made to my bike. Let me know how it goes when you do it.

Comment

It may be a while, don't hold your breath.

I will find out this week whether I am working between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Gives more time to work, but less money to play with.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Doh! Just when I hear about a fix for that!

Bummer!
                      I got an 1100G, so their ain't no bigger engine to take a spring from.
                      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

No, but there are spring suppliers chock full of them.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                          Bummer!
                          I got an 1100G, so their ain't no bigger engine to take a spring from.
                          Who said it had to be a "G"?

Keeping it Suzuki:
                          GS1150E
                          GV1200 Madura
                          GSX1250
                          GSX1300R Hayabusa
                          GV1400 Cavalcade
                          C90 Boulevard (1462cc)
                          M109 Boulevard (1783cc)

Or, as tkent says, plenty of spring supply houses.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

So, how would one go about measuring the general spring rate of an item that small - you know, so they could order a stronger one for their ... oh to just pick a model at random - 1986 Suzuki GS 1150 E (in red)?

Comment

Springs from the red ones won't work, you need the blue ones.

OK, springs are measured by force necessary to compress (or extend) a measured amount.
                              Get a scale and a ruler and get busy.

sigpic
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                              X