Making It Easier To Select Neutral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like it's underneath the engine, parts 19 - 22 here:

Shop online for OEM Gear Shifting parts that fit your 1980 Suzuki GS1000G, search all our OEM Parts or call at (231)737-4542

Thanks for pulling up this old thread, I need to do it to my 550 also.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      As for difficulty with finding neutral is concern, first thing to try is reducing the amount of clutch lever free play (tighten the cable), thus increase how far the clutch disengages. If this doesn't work you may need new clutch plates. My second GS1000 had difficulty finding neutral from a stop, but replacing the clutch discs resolved the problem. If you go this route, replace both the steel and friction discs, or at least measure the steel discs to make sure they are flat. Even a small amount of warp can make the clutch drag enough to make finding neutral difficult.

Good luck and hope this helps.
      On my 1980 GS1000G adjusting the cable as noted above made the difference. It's a free "mod" and it may correct the problem.

Comment

A cheap or ready to fail cable that's stretchy can also lead to some drag with the clutch pulled in.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Brand new cable adjusted perfectly, there's no drag, that's not it. It needs a longer or stronger spring.

After 35 years under compression they mostly all do.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks all for the quick replies, I will re-adjust cable as I fitted new one last week, maybe it has stretched?
            1981 GS1000g

Comment

My impression of all this is that there are 2 different problems being discussed:

1) It is 'too easy' to go from 1 into 2 (or 2 into 1) and you overshoot the Neutral indent. That is the issue being resolved by the heavier spring and the intended topic of this thread.

2) It is difficult to get the transmission into neutral - for example, there may be a lot resistance felt in the shift lever requiring more effort to shift, and therefore either missing or overshooting neutral. This problem is worked around by people shifting while the gears are moving. A heavier spring does not address this, as this problem is most likely related to the condition of the clutch and linkages.

Comment

hmmmmmmmmm

Comment

And clean the sender at the side of the cases. While its off to clean the contacts, give the little spring a small stretch. This makes the plunger get a good solid contact when it touches the spot on the engine side of the assembly.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

worm gear!

Comment

Working...
                    X