250cc flat spotting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bugger, I must've missed that.

So, carbs, tank, and fuel tap all clean, is the fuel line being pinched somewhere maybe?

Is this the only place you hit WOT or something? Maybe when the throttle moves that much it pinches the fuel line?
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

What do the plugs look like, how old are they, woodsy?

Comment

Adjusted the air/fuel mix and gave it a little bit more fuel, just to see its effect and it made it worse, it actually bogged so far down i had to pull over because it cut out, was hard to restart and coughed and spluttered for afew revs then came good.

The plugs look good, the end of the plug has a slight coffee colour which is meant to be spot on. However i havent checked them since i made the last change today.

I checked the fuel line and if it was being pinched and it was all good, checked the vacuum on the fueltap and it was good, this road is elevated and is heavy on the throttle, i would say i have it open 3/4 all the way up there because opening it any more has no effect in road speed or revs.

I'm trying to get in contact with the fella who does the o-ring kits but dont get a reply. I'll do the o-rings and absolutely soak the carbs for afew days and see what comes of that, i haven't been able to find any carb cleaner in bulk, only spray cans. I believe in the states they have Pine Sol, which is now discontinued, which is meant to be the same as ajax according to a website i have been on...
        Last edited by Guest; 12-11-2010, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodsy View Post
          I'm trying to get in contact with the fella who does the o-ring kits but dont get a reply. I'll do the o-rings and absolutely soak the carbs for afew days and see what comes of that, i haven't been able to find any carb cleaner in bulk, only spray cans. I believe in the states they have Pine Sol, which is now discontinued, which is meant to be the same as ajax according to a website i have been on...
          Mix metho and petrol 50/50 and soak the carbs in that for a few days if you can. get a can of carb cleaner as well, to get into the hard to reach areas. if you have a compressor blow them out with that as well.
          Robert Barr posted my o-rings from the states and was really great to deal with.
          I had an 80 gs250 and after the carbs were done it was a different bike, so once this is all sorted i hope you love the bike.

Comment

cycle o-ring kits? that fella?

I've got a compressor, i love riding the bike and want to get it to 100% so i can go on rides with the Suzuki Katana boys, would it make things easier if i took a video of the problem as it happens? I might be able to mount a camera to the bars.
            Last edited by Guest; 12-11-2010, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Thats him. he must be busy, cause he provides a great service at a more than reasonable price.
              I wouldnt worry about video taping it, just do a really good clean on the carbs. There is a guide on bikecliffs site if you need it, how are the boots?

Comment

The boots are still plyable

Comment

Ok i just put new spark plugs in it and took it for another ride, still get the same problem but this time i opened the choke a little and the problem went away.... so it obviously likes the extra fuel and less air, but if i adjust the air/fuel ratio it still gets the same problem.

I thought maybe just maybe the new plugs could of fixed it, oh well atleast it has new plugs now. I'm going to pull the carbs down, hopefully tonight and soak the hell out of them, i really need the bike for transport but these problems cant be doing it any good. Still waiting to hear about the o-ring kit.

Comment

Someone with more knowledge than me will hopefully help you soon, but i think the carbs must be dirty, make sure you really get into every nook and cranny soak them completely in metho and petrol for as long as you can. Blow all the sh1t out of them with your compressor.

Comment

not alot of 250 rides on here it seems, i cannot wait to get a bigger bike! I need to go for my P's soon and cant do it on a bike that doesnt run properly.. Lets see how things go over night with the carbs.

Comment

Yeah good luck, hopefully there's just some niggly bit of crud sitting somewhere it shouldn't be...

I'm not too much help either I'm afraid, I'm only learning as I go with my 450 rebuild and haven't even gotten close to touching the carbs yet.
                        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

The carbs are soaking as we speak, i'll check them in the morning. desperately need the o-ring kit now!

Comment

Carbs are clean, you should see the amount of crap that came out of them, pics to come.

Comment

I think in this case we will call that a good thing?
                              waiting for pics, did you use the metho/petrol mix or something else?

Comment

Used metho petrol mix, i dont know if the metho and petrol seperate overnight but if they dont then there was alot of water in the fuel i used

Comment

Working...
                                X