Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED turn signals

Friends,

I have searched through this forum and couldn't find he answer, so I need your help.

I installed LED turn signals on my 1978 GS400. When I turn them on, all 4 will stay on at the same time and not flash. After reading through the forums, I bought an electronic flasher and installed it, but now all 4 turn signals will flash at the same time and very faintly.

What do you think the issue is here?

Thanks,

Regis

You installed it, as in flasher relay mod or plugged it in to the existing socket?

Comment

Do you have a single light on the instrument panel for your blinkers?

Some bikes have a single bulb, others have two. If you have a single bulb, I have a schematic for you.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I simply plugged the electronic flasher into the existing socket.

and I have a single light on my instrument panel. The schematic would be great help. Thank you very much.

Comment

OK, first of all, here is what's happening:

The single indicator light in the panel is connected to the hot wires of both left and right turn signals. When you turn on the LEFT signal, it also applies power to one leg of the indicator. The other leg is connected to the hot side of the RIGHT signal, but won't flow enough current to light the RIGHT side filaments. Instead, it simply uses the filament as ground wires. Same thing happens in the other direction, as the incandescent indicator bulb does not care which way the current is flowing through it.

When you installed the LED signals, the indicator is still in-circuit, but now, the little bit of current that it passes (same as before, actually) is enough to light the signals on the other side, too. You need to add a couple of diodes to the circuit to keep the current from going all the way to the other side.

This diagram shows an LED as the indicator, but you can use the stock incandescent bulb if you wish.
          I drew this up for a guy that was converting to all LEDs on his dash panel, too.
          The top part shows your current configuration, the bottom one is the revised version.

You will have to re-wire the socket for your indicator bulb. As mentioned, it currently (pardon the pun) has one wire going to the signals on each side. You will have to take those wires off the socket, add two diodes that are facing each other, then connect a wire from the center of the diodes to one side of the socket. Connect the other wire of the socket to ground.

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Hi Mr. motosapo,

For future reference, I have collected many of the best electrical posts and saved them on my little website in the Electrical Odds and Ends section.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Steve, thank you so much for the schematic. Now it all makes a lot more sense.

Is there a specific type of diode that I should buy? Or any will work?

And BassCliff, thanks for putting together that website. It is great.

again, thanks,

Regis

Comment

Just a generic diode from Radio Snack will do. I think the number is 1N4001.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Just a generic diode from Radio Snack will do. I think the number is 1N4001.

To expand on what Steve said, and in case you cant get those, but could get other diodes:

Pretty much any "power" or "rectifier" diode will do, what you don't want are any that say "small signal"

If they have current ratings, any that are 1 amp or over are ok, any that are rated in milliamps (ma) and are much less than 1000 ma are not.
                  Last edited by Guest; 12-17-2010, 02:03 PM.

Comment

LED's

Sorry to hijack the thread but........

I also have problems with LED's.

My set up is front LED "turn signals" and normal lights at the rear for running lights, brake and indicators.

I also have an LED numberplate light and two marker lights on my mudguards.
                    I also have hazard indicators. (4 way flashers)

Everything works just fine............ until I switch on the headlamp.

Then the front indicators stop working and the marker lights on the wings flicker (in time to the flashers I think)

With the headligh switched off all is fine again.

Any suggestions for a cure please?????????

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Bohane View Post
                      Sorry to hijack the thread but........

I also have problems with LED's.

My set up is front LED "turn signals" and normal lights at the rear for running lights, brake and indicators.

I also have an LED numberplate light and two marker lights on my mudguards.
                      I also have hazard indicators. (4 way flashers)

Everything works just fine............ until I switch on the headlamp.

Then the front indicators stop working and the marker lights on the wings flicker (in time to the flashers I think)

With the headligh switched off all is fine again.

Any suggestions for a cure please?????????
                      I read the above, saw your picture, and read a bit in some other threads you wrote in re: your lighting troubles.

There are people here who can help you, but you have not provided NEARLY enough info for us to really start: Your bike is enough different from a "standard" GS, that we are making many many assumptions and guesses as to what's there, and how things are actually wired.

My suggestion to you would be to draw a "custom" wiring diagram for your bike. This should show EVERY component and connection in the signal and lighting circuits from the fusebox all the way to the grounds.

Trace the wires, don't just go from memory or your build drawings.

You may find the problem yourself while creating the drawing.
                      If not, we will at least have something to look at while trying to troubleshoot.

Comment

Working...
                      X