A few questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JCSkokos View Post
    @ cowboyup3371- is there any advantage to using studs over bolts?
    Based on what I have seen so far from other posts (only because I haven't taken mine back off after putting them on) it will be easier to not mess up the threads when trying to take them off and put them back on. The stud itself stays in place while all you need to do is take off the nut holding the pipes. Just make sure you use the copper anti-seize that you can buy in a small bottle.
    sigpic
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
      Based on what I have seen so far from other posts (only because I haven't taken mine back off after putting them on) it will be easier to not mess up the threads when trying to take them off and put them back on. The stud itself stays in place while all you need to do is take off the nut holding the pipes. Just make sure you use the copper anti-seize that you can buy in a small bottle.
      put the anti seize on the end that goes into the engine or the side that the nut goes on? I have seen people use studs before, but I have stuck with bolts simply because I am more comfortable with using them.

If you have bolts holding the intake boots that have 12mm heads, someone might have drilled out the holes and re-tapped them.

they may be 10s and I was mistaken. I will check it out tonight when I get home from school. hopefully they weren't re-tapped. :/

Comment

Where the nuts go.
        sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Originally posted by JCSkokos View Post
          put the anti seize on the end that goes into the engine or the side that the nut goes on? I have seen people use studs before, but I have stuck with bolts simply because I am more comfortable with using them.
          A couple of observations on that:
          I have not done the stud modification to any of my bikes (yet), but have thought about it a bit. A lot of the problem is the bolts going in and out of the head in the process of removing and re-installing the exhaust pipe will wear away at the aluminum and increase the chances of cross-threading every time you do this. Installing studs will virtually eliminate the wear in the head. If a stud or a nut strips out, replace it with no fanfare.

Who needs to remove the exhaust system that often? Well, that would be the guys with the "performance" exhaust systems that require removal to change the oil. OK, they would benefit from studs, but if they used bolts, they would not be in there long enough to corrode in place, so does it really matter?

What about the rest of us with stock pipes or headers that don't require exhaust removal? If you use bolts, they are likely to be in there for a LONG time, so be sure to use some anti-seize on them. And, the 'advantage' of using studs (less wear on the threads in the head' won't mean anything because you are not bothering them.

Just some food for thought.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Depending on where you are in LA I might be able to give you a hand sometime this week and early next week.

Comment

sorry it took so long to get back here, school was a little hectic this week.

I got the valve cover off to get an idea what it looks like, and to check the gasket. The gasket looked almost new except for a small chunk that looks like it tore from someone jabbing it with a screwdriver. at least thats the only explanation I could think of for how perfect the rest of it looked.

I have also heard about leaks and holes in the air box can cause the bike to run very poor.

is the hole in the center of this normal?

@ Ranger: I am in the 626 area right around the corner from Bert's Mega Mall, but I dont really need help right now as I dont have money for parts/ cleaners.

as for some of those screws that were stuck, I borrowed an impact driver and got most of them out.. one has a circle impression now, and a few just wont come out. I may try the drill next when I can run to King Bolt and get some TORX replacements.
              and for those studs, should I use some of the low strength thread locker on them or do they keep in place fairly well?

Comment

Do you have a Dremel? If need be, cut a slot in them and use a chisel to break it free by hitting it while turning left. But otherwise, your impact driver should get them, it'll just take time.
                sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

I dont have one, but I am sure I have a friend that does. Ill try asking around.

Comment

Hi Mr. JCSkokos,

I work not too far from Bert's. I'm going down to Fullerton tomorrow to help another member with his 650G. I can try and help you sometime in the near future too. But I don't have a dremel tool, yet. Z1 sells great hex head bolt kits for these bikes at a good price, usually cheaper than what you can put together your own set for.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                    X