Painting bolt heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by michaelj_444 View Post
    My questions are A: Should you use High Temp. paint and B: Does it change the head size of the bolts? And I guess C is should you clear coat?
    A:Not unless you need to.IE:exhaust pipe bolts.
    B: not enough to be noticeable
    C:you could I guess but it will still wear off.

Originally posted by Kiwi Canuck View Post
    I can just see it now!!!
    Ummm does that casserole taste like Rustoleum or is that a hint of VHT?
    Not sure honey, but it sure is familar?
    Done this in our cooking oven quite a bit,never noticed any residual taste or odor.My wife actually LIKED me doing it in the houseMost of the small stuff (including bolts) gets done on the dedicated toaster oven outside these days.

Comment

This is a great thread! I've done a combination of cleaning the heck out of my bolts with simple green, and buying new ones when I can. I'll be following some of these tips. Just began a tear down on my engine.

Comment

To save the paint on the bolts when your installing them. Put a ziplock bag over the bolt and the socket on top of that.
        That way the plastic gets chewed up and your paint stays untouched.
        Stephen.
        1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
        1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
        Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
        GS twin wiki

Comment

As far as heating, I have used my kero stove in the garage, just set the bolts in the can lid on top and no need to use the kitchen.

1979 GS1000

Comment

Now tell me something,
            Wouldn't it be better to paint the bolt head in place? (That is if you can) that way you won't have to take a greasy old wrench or socket and risk chipping off the paint?
            I can't see much torque being applied without damaging the finish, unless you use some thin scotch tape to insulate it, but even then you'll probably leave impressions.
            But a repainted bolt head will sure look better than some rusty old thing when all else is nice and clean I'll agree, even if it's chipped or marred.

Suzuki uses allot of the "green" colored bolts and hardware on their bikes, I haven't seen any of those for sale anywhere I look at parts. I wonder if anyone has ever tried to match the color to keep it original looking?
            Looks like a "olive drab" type color.
            sigpic
            Steve
            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Why not just buy colored bolt's ?????

" Pro Bolt "

Comment

Originally posted by mr wu View Post
                Why not just buy colored bolt's ?????

" Pro Bolt "
                because you can only get aluminium anodized coloured bolts, which are no good for most applications except cover screws or cosmetic parts.
                you cannot use them for engine mount bolts or similar parts.
                1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Working...
                X