This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The World of GSR via Google Earth

UPDATE: Because Google has changed the conditions for using their Google Maps I have disabled the maps from The GSResources homepage. I am currently looking at alternative mapping libraries in order to restore this feature back to the website.

Frank

Hey everyone I’m starting up a Google Earth map for all the GSR people around the world. It will include your individual placemark on the map (a basic location) and as well you can choose to include local motorcycle routes or even pictures of your area. This will easily turn into a great resource for us all; seeing who’s in what area, near by GSR members for break downs on trips, planning rides, or just seeing how many of us there really are around the planet.

First thing you need to do is download and install Google Earth on your computer.

Once Google earth is installed simply click on the link below and your own Google Earth program should open up. If for some reason it does not open simply open Google Earth on your computer, click on the file 'tab' up in the left hand corner, select open. A new window opens up, copy and paste the below link in the “file name” box and click open. From there the GSR map should open up. Each time you open your Google Earth from there on in it should be up to date with the most current map.

http://www.thegsresources.com/files/...SR_members.kmz

I've noticed that when you click on this link it sometimes it will open Google Earth and show the map and with some browsers it downloads the file to your browsers download file. Simple right click the file from there and your Google Earth will open displaying the map.

Some interesting things you can add

Here’s a very easy, and very addictive, site that allows you to put panoramic pictures onto your Google Earth, or to just look at (amazing clarity). With any of the panoramic pictures just look on the left side for a “view in Google Earth 4.2” clickable link, click on it and it will open up your Google Earth. Just remember if you want anything, panorama's or just pictures added to your placemark on the GSR members Google Earth map, you must save them as a separate file on your computer and then let me know by Private Message or email (you will have to email me the file).

Create, share and explore stunning high-resolution gigapixel images and panoramic photography with GigaPan's revolutionary technology.

Here is an article that describes how to make motorcycle routes using Google Earth.

Once made save them as a separate file and again let me know (and send me the file) so I can add them.

So for anyone that wants to be added to the current map please let me know by Private Message. I will need your local area/postal code/ZIP code/latitude & longitude (I am not encouraging anyone to give their true specific coordinates just a basic area but it is ultimately up to you) I will use the same user name from GSR but if you want anything special put for info that goes along with your placemark add that will your PM. As well if anyone wants any of their personal bike routes or pictures added please get in touch by PM or by email which is in my contact info.

So I think that’s about it. I want to thank “Ranger” for all his technical help with this project so far and Frank, the site Administrator, for allowing the map to be updated through GSR. Keep in mind people this is a learning process for me so I’m sure there will be changes and additions as the project grows, much like our motorcycle projects. So come on everyone lets populate the planet.
    ‘azr’
    Last edited by administrator; 03-21-2022, 12:59 PM.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Well it's official, we have our first South American member on the map. We only have two more continents to go and we'll have covered them all....not sure how we're going to get Antarctica...anyone know how to set the carbs up for temps of minus 'holy crap'?
    Rob
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Did you get the file off to frank with a new URL?

I've been MIA for the past week so I'm not sure what's up.

Comment

Yup, the system seems to working, as far as I know, at least no one has said other wise.
        Rob

Comment

Great work, AZR!

Thanks for putting this together. We sure are spread out! Unless you live in the Northeast, your chances of randomly crossing paths with another member are pretty slim.

Still, good to put some places with the names!

Cheers,
          Josh

Comment

Really? I've meet 3 so far including the OP.Seems to be a a few of us in the Victoria area.

Comment

It's because it's warmer on this side of the country so we come out of our Igloo's more often But seriously there are way more of us GSer's out there than than are on the map, not sure how to promote it more though.
              Rob

Comment

Put in your sig,every time you post there it is.

Comment

Our first member from Norway, welcome Tormod. Check out his location, what a place to have a bike.
                  Rob

Comment

I am located in Tingley, Iowa

Comment

Well as of today the count for the map is 60 members on 4 continents, not too shabby. Just a reminder, I can ad maps, pictures, videos anything like that to the map as well. So if you have anything just send it to me as a file attachment.
                      Rob

Comment

I'm in Annapolis, MD

Comment

Covina, California right here

Comment

Hey all, just a reminder it's probably best to let me know you want on the map via private message. The maps definitely getting filled. Who's doing the first GSR member road trip????
                            Rob

Comment

Long island, ny

Comment

Working...
                              X