Electrical issues and wiring. GS 750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical issues and wiring. GS 750

I've just bought a 1979 GS 750L as my first bike, and I'm hoping to as many repairs and maintenance work myself and learn how to do so in the process. This site has been a God-sent.

On to the issues. My head light and speedometer are out (though the tachometer works). the bulb is good, I checked it on the battery. The battery is good as well (checked with multimeter, it also appears to charge well at this point) this leaves me thinking it's all in the wiring. The wiring looks stock, with connectors that look like so junky I mistook them for scotch tape. My questions are as follows.

Is it worth it to replace most if not all wire connectors? Or just look for really bad ones?

Is there anything I need to be careful of when taking the gas tank off to check wires underneath? (gas leaking, etc.)

Since the tachometer works but not the speedometer could the problem be something other than wiring?

I have a wiring chart, but any advise or tips are more than welcome.
    Thank you in advance.

Welcome to the site, Basscliff will be along shortly for the official welcome.

I think you'll do fine to replace connectors as needed with either soldered ones, the waterproof spades, or weatherpack ones. You shouldn't have an issue with the tank if you ensure the petcock is not on prime before you disconnect it from the carbs.

Good luck and looking forward to pictures.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Your speedometer is mechanical, driven by a cable that attaches to the speedo drive on the left side of the front wheel. If there's no cable, that's the problem. If there is one, it's broken. Either way, buy a new one

Most people just clean their connectors rather than replace them, but that's if the connector is not fried.

If it's fried, replacement and necessary electrical repairs are required. Read the Stator papers
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

So I checked pretty much every wire on the bike it seems and all looked and tested as having a good connection so as far as my headlight not working, I'm at a loss. Any idea what or where the issue could be?
        The headlight will not turn on though steady strong voltage reaches it's plug.
        Checked bulb on battery with jumper cables, lit right up.
        highbeam indicator light dosent repond.
        Took apart light and highbeam switches and everything looks to be in order and working. Although, the suzuki repair manual suggests switches can go bad, but how do you tell if say your headlight switch is bad?
        Aside from what was mention here, everything else is working.
        Any ideas? Thanks

Comment

Ok, Now i have a serious question as to this is my first post. Not my first bike. But a bike i refuse to junk. I just recently traded a virago for this ride. I need any wiring charts or diagrams. This is a 82 gs650gl. I hate to see this bike in this shape as to it is a beautiful bike fully restored. This guy planned on chopping it up and making a harley motor fit. That is a disgrace. I bought bike to stop him but He has cut every wire on the whole bike. Idk why but probably due to he was dumb. I hope you all can assist me through out this rebuild of this bike. I would buy a full harness if someone didnt want 50 dollars for it plus shipping. Either way I have to repair the speedometer wires and things like that too. Hope to hear back from someone soon with some kind of wiring diagram.

Comment

Ok, listen up, the both of you, don't be so rude and sneak in through the back door, y'all should come in through the GS members section with a 'hello" and lots and lots of pics, we like pics, right, got that?

Hahaha, relax, just winding you up, welcome to the madhouse, you will find all the information you will ever need here, these guys are the best GS brains on the planet, and Basscliff should be along in short order to give you his own special welcome, there you will find a gold mine of GS information, including the wiring diagrams that you need.
            In the mean time, how about some of those pics..............of your bikes, not you.
            And feel free to post questions you have, I have no doubt you will have those machines up and running in no time at all.

Oh, and be warned, this GS thing is highly addictive, and there is no known cure.

Comment

Hi Mr. cloudmkr,

(For Mr. Kylesj6033 - You really should start your own thread so that we don't get confused as to who is having what problem and who is trying to fix which problem and who is speaking to whom when trying to fix said problems.)

Let me share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Hello there good folk, thank you kindly for the welcome. Gotta say it's good to be able to seek advice here and search through the vast amount of experience roaming through here. This site really is great.
                So I got the lights working and the bike is running well, so it's all ready to roam. Thanks for the advice, I'm sure I'll be needing more before I'm through. Looking forward to interacting on the site and even more riding. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                X