1977 fork issues (inner tubes mainly)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1977 fork issues (inner tubes mainly)

After riding my GS750 to town on Monday I found out just how bad my front forks were so I decided to start taking them apart to replace the seals last night. When I got the forks of the bike I put them up in a vice to start taking them apart, and I walked to the other side of the shop to get another socket. As I walked back over my friend pointed out there is a slight bend in the inner tubes... the thing is they are uniform and it is hard to tell (because it is a gradual bend) up near the tree. I was hoping to replace them for a decent price but the service manual I have does not have any very technical specifications. Does someone have any information on replacing just these tubes? I see on ebay there are full fork set-ups but no description of the tube rather than 35mm. any suggestions on replacing them, or should I just go ahead and but a full fork set up like this one?

Hi,

You're always taking a chance when buying from ebay but those look like decent used forks. You will certainly want to replace the seals and oil, maybe even the springs. Also check the Parts Wanted and Parts For Sale sections of this GSR forum. It would be much more expensive to buy new fork tubes from someone like Forking by Frank.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Any good enginering shop should be able to straighten those forks. Very common 'fault" if bike has hit a car or whatever. Just take the inner tubes there if there only bent that one spot will be fine. Is the chrome still ok. hate to fix a set that needs replacement anyway

Comment

Thanks, I will have to ask around and see if there is any good shop around here (there is nearly nothing at all "around here") that can straighten them out... there was only a little surface rust on them and most of it rubbed right off when I hit it with some parts cleaner when I was taking it apart. And I will also head over to the parts for sale section right now and see if anything catches my eye

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
          Any good enginering shop should be able to straighten those forks. Very common 'fault" if bike has hit a car or whatever. Just take the inner tubes there if there only bent that one spot will be fine. Is the chrome still ok. hate to fix a set that needs replacement anyway

I'd be very surprised if you can find anyone to do this in the US.

A good used set is likely your best option.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

umm I think I am right in saying this, but I want to make sure before I commit to buying these, the 79 leading forks will fit on my 77 right?
            I found a guy locally who has a good price and I was hoping to snatch them up fast

Comment

Hi,

As long at the upper tube diameter is the same they will "fit". But installing forks with a leading axle ("L" forks) on an otherwise "E" model may change the steering geometry. I know swaps like this have been done before without any ill effect. Just know that the steering may feel different. Be mindful of the brake setup too.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
              Last edited by Guest; 02-03-2011, 09:09 PM.

Comment

ok cool thank you... I think I will give it a try. Honestly, the forks are at the price I can afford to experiment.
                Thank you

Comment

It will make the wheel base longer, you may have fitment problems with the front fender

Comment

Haha I was a bit hasty I think. I just got an email form the gentleman I have been talking to and he sent some pictures. They are the straight forks from the 750E not the L... my fault, jumped the gun on that one, but one nice surprise is they are set up for dual discs

Comment

Working...
                    X