Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How I beat an HOV lane ticket

Billy Ricks Guest

Good job Cliff. Last summer I beat my speeding ticket. Mine was easy though since I was riding an '06 Toyota motorcycle according to the DPS officer. He claimed to have me going 61 in a 45. I knew I was speeding a little but nowhere near 61. I had only gone about a block when he claimed to have clocked me doing 61 and I wasn't hammering the throttle.

BassCliff Guest

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Ricks View Post
    ... I was riding an '06 Toyota motorcycle according to the DPS officer....
    Do you have a picture? I ain't never seen one of them.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Way to go Cliff!!! I know who got you off! Ray.
    85GS1150E 83GS1100ESD 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ED 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500Dragbike 96GSXR1400Dragbike 90GSXR1166Dragbike 04SDG110PITBIKE + 8 Quads! "Life is tough! It's even tougher if you're stupid!" John Wayne

Congrats BassCliff or is it BassCliff Esquire now,

petersenj20 Guest

I did a little time in southern California. I commend you on the "mail order" "Not guilty Plea". I have heard of it but never actually seen it win. That really is something special. you did your homework, and if there was ever a person that deserved a reward it was you Congrats on the win!

And I would like a pic of that '06 Toyota motorcycle.
    Last edited by petersenj20; 02-04-2011 at 02:07 AM.

posplayr is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

Congratulations Cliff; should be interesting reading. Those lane splitting rules are complicated enough, but with the Dimond/HOV rules couple in with , it is really cornfusing for us Hilly billy folks up in SB county.

P.S. I don't understand the pdf diagram (which way were you traveling and where was your motorcycle?)
    Last edited by posplayr; 02-04-2011 at 02:51 AM.
    Read about Charging Quick Test GS Charging Health GS Stator

"The smallest giant of mankind, is he who stands on the shoulders of a larger giant who himself stands on the shoulders of yet a larger giant, and therefore sees the most light from GOD." Posplayr 2017 adapted from : Bernard of Chartres

BassCliff Guest

Smile

Hi,

Thank you for all the accolades. I just did my homework and hoped for the best. For the sake of full disclosure, I do not know whether the judge liked my case enough to find me not guilty or if the CHP officer dropped the ball and just didn't do his homework. But this was my process.

After receiving an appearance notice (which had to be filled out and returned), I also obtained this form from one of the online resources above, filled it out, and mailed it all in via registered mail (optional - but recommended), along with bail, to the court in order to submit my 'not guilty' plea by mail. This had to be postmarked no later than 5 days before the appearance date on my original citation (11/24/10).

In return I received a form which allowed me to request a Trial By Declaration. It also had a due date. I received the citation on 9/23. My appearance date was 11/24 (yes, the day before Thanksgiving). The Trial By Declaration paperwork had to be in by 12/27/10. I also sent it in via registered mail. That way I would have a receipt of the court clerk accepting my paperwork.

This is the document (.doc, about 3MB) I submitted to plead my case. This is a diagram (PDF, 25kb) that was included.

Then today, 2/3/11, I received a "Decision and Notice of Decision" which stated that:

1. The court's decision was entered on 01/14/11
    2. Bail amt. $466.
    3. The court finds the defendant:
    a. Violation #1 (describe) 216558A VC NOT GUILTY
    4. N/A
    5. Clerk shall refund to the defendant the following amount:
    a. Bail amt. $466.
    6. Other orders:
    Not Guilty, Trial By Dec.

It was signed by the Judicial Officer.

Needless to say I was quite pleased with the decision. I guess I'll never know if it was my legal skill or the fact that the CHP officer didn't want to play.

Would it be tempting fate if I were to carry this decision with me while I ride? That way I can show it to the the next CHP officer who thinks that I'm easy pickin's.

BassCliff
    Last edited by BassCliff; 02-04-2011 at 10:52 AM.

BassCliff Guest

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by posplayr View Post
    P.S. I don't understand the pdf diagram (which way were you traveling and where was your motorcycle?)
    Hi Jim,

In the diagram the traffic is traveling "down" the page. Basically it is a diagram of the eastbound lanes of the 10 fwy as you are standing on an overpass looking to the west. My motorcycle was in the "buffer zone" between the double yellow and the white line, splitting the lane between the carpool lane (HOV) and the fast lane (#1).

I'm sure it will all be clear once you read my case notes.

BassCliff

Billy Ricks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by petersenj20 View Post

And I would like a pic of that '06 Toyota motorcycle.
    Well, here's the bike he thought was an '06 Toyota. He did get the color right on the ticket.

Congratulations on your submission and "not guilty" result! Just goes to show how knowledge of the traffic regulations can be used in your favour. Here in South Africa we do not have HOV lanes yet, but rather "Bus Lanes" for use by buses only during peak hour periods. Cameras on overhead gantries monitor infringements by cars in the bus lane during these peak hour periods, and tickets are issued to offenders. Not quite sure what the rules are regarding motorcycles in that lane - will have to brush up on the regs!
    1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Photo of the Month Winner April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo"