A Different Speedometer Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Different Speedometer Question

I've read several threads on speedometers--okay more than several! But none of them quite addressed my question.

My '82 GS750E has the dreaded 85 mph speedometer (in US of course). I don't want to remove it/change it out for another so that the original miles are always indicated without question. However, I do want to know how fast I am going. I love the feel of acceleration and on other bikes I've frequently found myself twisting the throttle open and hanging on until I got well past 85 mph. Yes, I admit that here, but it's my only vice . It seems the simplest solution to this (wanting to know my actual speed above 85) is a GPS system, which I don't currently have. So I guess I have 2 questions.

1. Will repeatedly pegging the speedo at 85 mph damage the speedo?

2. Is there another solution to wanting to keep the original speedometer on the bike while having some way to know my actual speed when above 85 mph?

Thanks, GSers
    Last edited by Guest; 02-04-2011, 02:01 AM.

1. No pegging the speedo at 85 on an on going basis will not harm it in anyway, so you are good on that score.

2. Other than mounting a GPS, as you have said, or a small aftermarket speedo in conjunction with your original, not sure how you will do it.

Maybe get another GS speedo that suits your needs and open it up and set the odometer to the same milage you have on yours, and let it carry on from there, that is what I would do, it is easy enough.

Comment

If really you need to know your speed past 85, than use radar. Just pass the local highway patrol and they will use radar to tell you your speed right after they lock the cell door.

Comment

Just fit a bicycle computer to your bike. It will give you very accurate speeds. Use that when you go over 85MPH. Many of the Sigma types work as they have 3 digit speed indication and can go up to 199km/h. They also have selectable kilometers or miles indications.

Stick a rare earth magnet to your front brake rotor, some very useful magnets can be found inside an old PC harddrive, to trigger the pickup.

Comment

You can get a basic handheld type GPS very cheaply, or even buy one used.

All I really wanted was a compass on my bike, but I ended up trading some parts with a friend for a basic waterproof GPS. It has a display that shows speed and a large compass diagram on the screen, so this is what I use most of the time.

FWIW, my 112,000 mile GS850G speedo (the 140mph style) is dead accurate according to the GPS. Don't know how that happened.

The speedos on my other bikes read about 7% high, which is more the norm.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
            If really you need to know your speed past 85, than use radar. Just pass the local highway patrol and they will use radar to tell you your speed right after they lock the cell door.
            hahaha what a wise ass you remind me of myself
            Originally posted by tkent02
            That's not a tree, that's a shrubbery. Now get to work on that old dirt bike
            John 3:16

Comment

i was wondering the same thing, i noticed that 83+ had same style speedo but it goes up to 140 is it possible to swap the speedo from newer models and like someone said just adjust the milage in the new one

Comment

Originally posted by Dodik View Post
                i was wondering the same thing, i noticed that 83+ had same style speedo but it goes up to 140 is it possible to swap the speedo from newer models and like someone said just adjust the milage in the new one
                Yep, but I love my 85mph speedo, it fools me into thinking I've got an old, slow, heavy bike.......

Comment

Thanks, folks. Mostly helpful advice. Probably will go with GPS when the weather warms up, but I will check into the couple of other options mentioned.

I'm going to try to avoid the High Way Patrol radar recommended by Graham. They aren't nearly accurate enough. And fortunately for me, if I do accidently get a reading that way, in KY they just slap a fine on you. A couple of those will, no doubt, slow me down, but no sense in wussin' out until that time comes.

If anyone else has a good solution, as Ross Perot once said, "I'm all ears."

Comment

When I rode my GS1100GL (which had a 85 mph speedo) I used my tachometer. I figure if if the bike's turning 4k rpm at 55 mph in 5th gear then when the tach says 8k I would be doing 110 (but I've never done 8k in 5th gear).
                    Ken
                    Last edited by Guest; 02-04-2011, 09:28 PM.

Comment

While I find many of these replies interesting, the basic facts have been avoided.
                      The fact remains that the Joan Claybrook apparently decided that vehicles should not exceed 85 mph. And so it began. I am certain that my 83 1100E is MUCH faster than an 82 with its slow speed. (ometer.)

Comment

Working...
                      X