Clutch seems to hard to pull 1985 gs450l

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dan0688 View Post
    I installed a new cable and the clutch pull effort got slightly better, contemplating weather or not im gonna tear it down this week and check the springs.... maybe the pull effort is normal... this is my first suzuki with a cable clutch...
    Your clutch should pull as easily and smoothly as any motorcycle you have ever ridden. Easier than most bikes with hydraulic clutches. If it's not, you still have a problem.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Put the new springs in and everything feels good, Thanks everyone.

Comment

I just stumbled on this post, and since Dan's issues seem to be resolved, I might piggyback on it.

I'm having a bit of the same problem. I've got an '86 GS400S (canadian model, but apparently the same as the 400E's) and the clutch pull is really stiff. It still works to shift and ride, with one difference:

Before the bike is really really really warmed up, it's extremely difficult to shift from 1-2-3. Into 4th, 5th, 6th is no problem, and coming all the way back down to 1 is no issue either, just up through the first three is really, really hard.

Anyway, with the hard lever, I lubed the clutch cable yesterday and it's still a decently hard pull when re-attached. Note: I adjusted everything properly as well; the inside attachment point, and both the coarse and fine cable adjustments. I'm starting to wonder if it has to do with the springs as well, and am wondering how much you spent on your OEM springs Dan? But even more so, does anyone have any wisdom to offer on why only the first three gears are hard to shift in to?

Thanks a lot!

Comment

Shift drum or shift forks?

Has it always done this?

Comment

I'm sorry, I should have clarified that.. I'm actually not sure if it has a drum or forks - maybe someone else knows? Otherwise, it's always been this way - but I've only owned it for a short while. I'm mostly curious about the stiffness because it's meant to be for my wife later in the summer, and she can't operate it right now - I'm under the impression that these bikes are supposed to be quite easy to de-clutch.

Personally I'm interested in shifting because that's annoying even for me, and will obviously be an issue for her.

Again, it's what we in Canada call a GS400S, and it's manufactured in October '85, so I guess it's an 86. The VIN plate also says GS400E on it - perhaps the American equivalent from the year before (I think they stopped making them in '85)?

Cheers

Comment

I am sorry for my scant english skills.

I meant to pose the question of it being related to the shift drum or shift forks. The bike will have both.
              http://www.gadgetjq.com/transmission.htm shows a pretty good set of example of what goes on inside the box.

Is this a twin or a 4 cylinder engine ( not that it matters much )
              Last edited by Guest; 04-06-2011, 08:09 PM.

Comment

I see. Of course it has both - I feel like an idiot

Anyway, I went to track down a new clutch cable to begin with, and then when I got home I started changing the oil. Once it was drained I figured it was as good a time as any to get into the box and see what was up. So I took off the sprocket cover and sure enough, there was a) about 10 years' worth of leaves, grease, mud, and even a spider in there clogging things up, and b) the little clip that attaches the clutch cable to the worm gear was broken and bending every time I would pull the clutch. So I'm gonna clean all that up, replace whatever needs it, maybe even pop open the other side and have a look at the springs and plates, and then try it again. Lastly, when I totally removed the cable, it was a lot stiffer than I originally thought after I lubed it while still on the bike yesterday... I think it should all go smoothly now - but I'll let you know if it still shifts really hard after this. Thanks!

Comment

Shifting still reeeeeally stiff

Hello again!

I've sorted the clutch stiffness out - it was all due to a stiff-ish cable and, more importantly, a broken/bent worm cable connector clip to the wormgear actuator. So that's all good.

Problem is, the shifting itself is still really difficult. Any ideas on what could cause this? It's not that the gears are grinding, it's just extremely difficult to shift from one gear to the next, up or down. If it was a car, I would say it was made easier by double-clutching, but you obviously can't do that on a bike, even though it almost seems to make it easier when you sort of hesitate or "double-kick" the shifter..

Any words of wisdom?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by theswedishthing View Post
                    I just stumbled on this post, and since Dan's issues seem to be resolved, I might piggyback on it.

I'm having a bit of the same problem. I've got an '86 GS400S (canadian model, but apparently the same as the 400E's) and the clutch pull is really stiff. It still works to shift and ride, with one difference:

Before the bike is really really really warmed up, it's extremely difficult to shift from 1-2-3. Into 4th, 5th, 6th is no problem, and coming all the way back down to 1 is no issue either, just up through the first three is really, really hard.

Anyway, with the hard lever, I lubed the clutch cable yesterday and it's still a decently hard pull when re-attached. Note: I adjusted everything properly as well; the inside attachment point, and both the coarse and fine cable adjustments. I'm starting to wonder if it has to do with the springs as well, and am wondering how much you spent on your OEM springs Dan? But even more so, does anyone have any wisdom to offer on why only the first three gears are hard to shift in to?

Thanks a lot!

I'm sorry im kinda late... I think the springs were about 3 bucks each and there are 6 i think

Comment

I know this is an old thread but I'm going to chime in as well. I'm having the same problem - needing a Hulk Hogan grip on the clutch.

82 GS450L. New cable, new clutch plates, new springs, new worm gear thingy (part #24), cleaned the guck from under the sprocket cover, straight push rod, adjusted the cable/worm gear as per Clymers. All parts are aftermarket from iron Pony except part #24 which is new OEM from Suzuki (Babbits). That whole assembly is new. Still a motherf**ker to pull.

I've turned the cable adjusting screw on the sprocket cover all the way in and all the way out and everywhere in between. All the way in and it doesn't shift out of first gear (cable too long). All the way out and there is no play in the lever (cable too short) and takes a come-along to pull it.

Is this a touch and go kind of adjustment? Is there a sweet spot you need to find?

What happens if you turn the screw on part #24 more than 1/4-1/2 turn out? I haven't heard any discussion about that.

Also, I replaced the sprocket cover with a different one (better condition) and part #24 on that cover was broken too. The part that is screwed to the cover that the worm gear rides though was broken. It was intact but when I removed it from the cover it fell apart. The old cover had a new #24 that I replaced last year so I just moved it to the new cover. Just wanted to throw that out there since others were questioning it.

It seems everyone has suggested everything I've already done. Any more tricks up anybody's sleeves? This is my wife's bike and if I can't pull it she'll never be able to.

Comment

what kinda shape is your lever in? is the cable routed correctly? did you use oem clutch springs? it seems to me that all aftermarket springs are stiffer than stock

Comment

Working...
                        X