Clutch seems to hard to pull 1985 gs450l

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dan0688 View Post
    any suggestions as to what brand of cable or where to get it from? or should anything do?

WOW the cable lists as 16.44 OEM from alpha sports.
    No reason not to go with a quality OEM part.

Length will be correct as well

Comment

although i question why did the part i had to replace break? is there something wrong that caused that...

I am sorry can you elaborate on this question please?
      Did something break while you were making the adjustments?

Comment

no... when i purchased the bike the screw type device that the cable hooks to under the sproket cover was broken, it was actually missing when i got to it so i dont know how it broke is this a common part to break? or should i be looking for an underlaying problem?

Comment

no... when i purchased the bike the screw type device that the cable hooks to under the sproket cover was broken, it was actually missing when i got to it so i dont know how it broke is this a common part to break? or should i be looking for an underlaying problem?

Well I have no way of knowing but it could have failed from whatever is making the action of the clutch bind.

Any paralell twins here ever see this happen?

There is a pushrod that goes form the sprocket side and disengages the clutch. This may be bent. Check the manual for the procedure on this first.

Comment

Can you take a picture of it? I can think of 5 different things you may be reffering to but its harder to give an answer without one.

I'm 99% sure I know what you're talking about but I don't want to give you the wrong answer. If its the little metal piece the end of the cable clips to that rotates and moves in or out with a small mech. on bearing then I haven't seen one broke but it is metal.
            Last edited by Guest; 02-28-2011, 11:06 PM.

Comment

pushrod does not apear to be bent. but does not look like the rod in my manual (see image) im assuming its a 2 piece pushrod and im only able to remove one portion without taking the otherside of the case apart? to check for the rod being bent the manual simply says roll it on a smooth surface. which i did and it apears to be striaght

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger View Post
                Can you take a picture of it? I can think of 5 different things you may be reffering to but its harder to give an answer without one.

I'm 99% sure I know what you're talking about but I don't want to give you the wrong answer. If its the little metal piece the end of the cable clips to that rotates and moves in or out with a small mech. on bearing then I haven't seen one broke but it is metal.

ill go take a picture right now

Comment

part 24 on the fiche?

Comment

yes part 24
                    Last edited by Guest; 02-28-2011, 11:16 PM.

Comment

yes part 24
                      I know the part but if you can take a picture of exactly what is broken on it that'd be good since its multiple pieces that make up just a #

Comment

One assumes you have installed it and oriented it correctly with the adjusting nut facing the outside left of the machine.
                        The locknut secures the threaded piece that is used to adjust the degree of clutch throw.

Where are the paralell twin guys tonight?

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger View Post
                          I know the part but if you can take a picture of exactly what is broken on it that'd be good since its multiple pieces that make up just a #
                          the inner screw like piece that is plastic was missing when i recieved the bike i was told it broke, im unaware of anymore having to do with it as i did not recieve the old part or any further knoledge of it

Comment

I also attached an image of the new one currently installed on my cover see previous post.

Comment

I also attached an image of the new one currently installed on my cover see previous post.

Well it looks to be corectly oriented. when you place the cover onto the bike are you assuring that the pushrod makes its way into the hole in the center of part 24? If it sint then it would bind.

I would open up free play at the clutch lever and at the pushrod adjustment screw as well as the point where the clutch cable attaces to the cprosket cover.

That would let you slip the spriocket cover in place with no resistance.
                              From that point I owould follow the clutch adjustment procedure again to see what the result is.

I wonder if its the plates and fibres stuck fast or binding.
                              I would open it up to see. little to lose but a gasket.

Comment

You could when you have it pulled off so theres no pressure on it, remove the cable from it real quick and check it with your hand to test the motion of it and feel for any binding. It should be smooth as hell.

Comment

Working...
                                X