No announcement yet.

Clutch seems to hard to pull 1985 gs450l

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I checked the cable with it off... it feels slightly rough... im gonna order a new suzuki one tonight and i will install it as soon as i get it and let you all know

Comment

Check your lever too. The pivot eye wears and the lever slides and binds slightly. It doesn't seem like much but it WILL cause enough binding to increase the effort required to pull in and be problematic with clutch release.

Comment

should i be able to push the clutch rod in with the sprocket cover removed? when i try to push it i can put excessive force on it without the rod moving at all....
        Last edited by Guest; 03-01-2011, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dan0688 View Post
          should i be able to push the clutch rod in with the sprocket cover removed? when i try to push it i can put excessive force on it without the rod moving at all....

You would have to be as strong as the sum of all the springs.
          SO I am saying no and if you can remind me to never upset you.

Comment

ha ha ok thanks

Comment

You should not mess with the pushrod except maybe to pull it out being careful not to lose any parts ( I think there is a ball down the hole )
              Check it for straightness on a sheet of glass maybe.
              If you apply force to it you may bend it as the design only applies the force straight down the length of the rod. Side to side or wobbly input may bend it.

Comment

I checked it last night and it apears to be straight

Comment

Dan pop off the clutch cover and check the plats springs etc.
                  You can do it without ruing a gasket if you are careful.

And take pictures.

Comment

ill try to get the cover off this weekend... i dont think ill have time before then im going to measure the springs with a caliper or micrometer for proper length correct? what should i be looking for on the plates?

Comment

I installed a new cable and the clutch pull effort got slightly better, contemplating weather or not im gonna tear it down this week and check the springs.... maybe the pull effort is normal... this is my first suzuki with a cable clutch...

Comment

I split the case tonight... springs apear to be the correct ones measured with a tape measure(pic attached) and they apeared to be pretty close, I will bring a caliper home from work tommorow and get a more accurate reading, the discs do in fact apear to be brand new, anything else i should be checking well im in here?

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Brand new lever? brand new pivot bolt?

Comment

pivot bolt?? I'm starting to think that the PO put in EBC heavy duty springs causeing the stiffer feel. the lever is not New, the cable is, I inspected the lever and found no burs or anything that looked like damage

Comment

I ordered a set of OEM suzuki Springs to install before reassembly hopefully that takes care of any issues I had, Thanks everyone for help and input if anyone has any further suggestions please let me know thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X