Top 10 Newbie Mistakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Admiral Beez View Post
    Assuming the factory dealer you had swap your tire would grease your hub joint splines.
    Dealer workshops?
    Safer to assume they didn't​ do what you paid them for.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
      Dealer workshops?
      Safer to assume they didn't​ do what you paid them for.
      Now you tell me.
      1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral Beez View Post
        Now you tell me.
        Dealers? I wouldn't let them change the urine in my bladder. That's why I walked three miles on Friday through shadeless, over 100 degree heat index to someone I trust.
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Winter is near. This REALLY needs a bump.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
            40 days...or so...

Ed
            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
            Originally posted by GSXR7ED
            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Actually....summer is here down under (and a significant %age of Australia is burning! ) and it STILL needs a bump!
              This was the 1st post I read a few years back before getting my fingers dirty on my GS750EC....oh, that's right, you blokes call it "wrenching"!
              Cheers, Andy

Current bikes... 78 GS750E, 72 CB500K1
              Previously owned...
              01 VFR800Fi, 67 Honda Sports 90
              71 Yamaha 175 CT2, 73 Yamaha RD250 (great bike!), 79 Yamaha XT250T
              75 Kawasaki KX125 (little screamer!)
              BMW R65, BMW R80, BMW R100LT

Comment

Should I use synthetic oil? Can I use mineral oil?

Should I change the winter oil immediately?

I think it has synthetic and its making some white smoke when starting. And I found some oil outside the engine (but that mighr have been previous owner spilling when filling).
                GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
                  Should I use synthetic oil? Can I use mineral oil?

Should I change the winter oil immediately?

I think it has synthetic and its making some white smoke when starting. And I found some oil outside the engine (but that mighr have been previous owner spilling when filling).
                  I'll bet if you look through this thread you will see "not reading your owner's manual" as one of the mistakes.

As not to be a jerk, the manual will say what type of oil to use depending on the climate you plan on riding in.

It will also mention storage procedures and returning to service procedures (pg 63 in my manual)

You can download a manual for your bike here.
                  Last edited by Burque73; 01-26-2020, 02:16 PM.
                  Roger

Current rides
                  1983 GS 850G
                  2003 FJR 1300A
                  Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Mineral oil every time
                    Attached Files
                    ​suzuki gs750 db

Comment

Originally posted by markla View Post
                      Mineral oil every time
                      Thank you, the manual wasn't clear. Mineral oil is also cheapest so thats good.

Im so happy I finally have something I can tinker with, as soon as the season approaches Ill change the oil and filter (ordered some new ones, hope they include the o-ring or whatever).

Not sure how winterized the previous owner made it. And it has been started in -4c (it does not run right then, and dies when choke is all the way in unless you give it throttle). But at 15c in the garage it works normally.

Im so annoyed it will still be a couple of months til the snow clears and I can try it out.
                      GS1000G 1981

Comment

Might as well bump and add a little something... surprised this isn't already in here.

This was partially covered in the original #5, the warning against carb rebuild kits. The kits are useless imitation junk, and a complete waste of money and time.

The same can be said for petcock rebuild kits or parts. They're also useless imitation junk, and a complete waste of money and time.

This has been proven over and over and over and over and OVER again.

So the newbie mistake would be:

5b) Trying to repair or rebuild a leaking or nonfunctional petcock. The odds of any success are vanishingly low. Replace it and worry about something else for the next 30 years. This is a valve that controls the flow of a incredibly flammable, highly explosive substance a few inches from your crotch. Even if rebuild kits worked more than rarely, it's really not worth messing around.
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

So the newbie mistake would be:

5b) Trying to repair or rebuild a leaking or nonfunctional petcock. The odds of any success are vanishingly low. Replace it and worry about something else for the next 30 years. This is a valve that controls the flow of a incredibly flammable, highly explosive substance a few inches from your crotch. Even if rebuild kits worked more than rarely, it's really not worth messing around.
                          Added!
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

That needs to be made a STICKY!!

(Not that it will ever be read, though )

2011...Now in 2020, and this is still not a sticky?
                            Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                              2011...Now in 2020, and this is still not a sticky?
                              Lol...the "anyone go for a ride..." thread was started in 2009 with over 10,000 posts and it's still not a sticky.
                              No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                                Lol...the "anyone go for a ride..." thread was started in 2009 with over 10,000 posts and it's still not a sticky.
                                You do mean 2011 right? I was already on here by then and very glad that thread was started since it made it easier to drool over scenery

screenshot.jpg
                                sigpic
                                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                                X