No announcement yet.

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to get round a 90 deg bend, at night, on a illegal race tuned GT125, with the law on your tail, hitting the curb.... staying on.... doing a series of turns and burns.... loosing the law, ending up 6 miles from the safety of home... with no juice... and having to push the little screamer up god knows how many hills whilst whilst tryng to keep a low profile from the local law, who are now on the hunt.

Yep I got home. Nope I didn't get busted. Yep it took me hours. Nope I didn't learn.

Comment

A "good" shop is typically equated to no SuzuKawaHonamaha signs outside and the mechanic/owner isn't emblazoned with said sponsorship on their uniform while they are trying to sell you the newest bike on the market and asking what maintenance issues you may be having with your bike.

Brad bk

Comment

How about believing a single word the PO tells you about the bike?

Present company excluded, of course.

Comment

Putting on your carbs and forgetting to put on the fuel line beforehand.

Comment

Originally posted by MR -K View Post
            Putting on your carbs and forgetting to put on the fuel line beforehand.
            Hey I resemble that remark,don't have to be a noob to do that one

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              That needs to be made a STICKY!!

(Not that it will ever be read, though )

I'm reading it

Comment

Originally posted by twr1776 View Post
                Running OEM suspension front or back...

Replacing your old tires and not replacing the most likely OEM valve stems.
                Hey tw21776
                I didn't understand these two points.
                OEM means "a replacement part made by the manufacturer of the original part", right? So do you mean that the original Suzuki suspension parts are no good?

I've just had one of my tyres replaced by what I believe to be a competent recommended mechanic. It seems fine. Should I have specifically asked him to change the stems too? Is it common for an experienced mechanic to not do this, or is this just a newbie issue?

thanks

Comment

Anytime I change the tire, I have the valve stem changed as well, be it on my car or on the motocycle, they are a rubber part, can harden and stiffen up and cause a leak, so it's easier to change while the tires are already off

Comment

Rule number one, R-T-F-M!

How bout not buying and reading the service manual?

Most newbie questions can be answered in 1 min. by just looking at the troubleshooting guide.

Rule #2, If you want an intelligent answer, ask an intelligent question.
                    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Assaf View Post
                      Hey tw21776
                      I didn't understand these two points.
                      OEM means "a replacement part made by the manufacturer of the original part", right? So do you mean that the original Suzuki suspension parts are no good?

I've just had one of my tyres replaced by what I believe to be a competent recommended mechanic. It seems fine. Should I have specifically asked him to change the stems too? Is it common for an experienced mechanic to not do this, or is this just a newbie issue?

thanks
                      The original Suzuki suspension was made to function decently. However, it is 25+ years old, out of date, and most likely worn out. Current suspension parts are far better than the original suspension, even when it was new.
                      You should always specify that the valve stems are changed as well. "Normally" it will be listed on the invoice if he replaced it.
                      OEM actually refers to the computer seller's practice to have parts manufactured by someone else and branded with the seller's brand. Here it just means Suzuki parts, or original parts sold on the bike when it was new.
                      Last edited by Guest; 11-06-2011, 05:59 PM.

Comment

14), or 8b) Checking the oil level with the bike on the side stand, deciding it is drastically low, and then proceeding to drastically overfill, till the level 'looks right' (with the bike still on the side stand). Oil level must be checked with the bike perpendicular to the ground!!
                        '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                        Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
                          14), or 8b) Checking the oil level with the bike on the side stand, deciding it is drastically low, and then proceeding to drastically overfill, till the level 'looks right' (with the bike still on the side stand). Oil level must be checked with the bike perpendicular to the ground!!
                          Nice one!

To check oil...

1) Engine cold
                          2) Bike on center stand (although for you hot rodders that take yours off, keep the bike level)
                          3) Start engine and run for a couple min. then shut down
                          4) Wait about 1-2 min
                          5) Check oil level and adjust as necessary

If you leave your petcock on Prime, or if your petcock has failed, the crankcase can/will fill with gas thus showing the "oil" level to be overfilled. This is not actually "oil" but rather oil/gas mix. Not good.
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                            Nice one!

To check oil...

1) Engine cold
                            2) Bike on center stand (although for you hot rodders that take yours off, keep the bike level)
                            3) Start engine and run for a couple min. then shut down
                            4) Wait about 1-2 min
                            5) Check oil level and adjust as necessary

If you leave your petcock on Prime, or if your petcock has failed, the crankcase can/will fill with gas thus showing the "oil" level to be overfilled. This is not actually "oil" but rather oil/gas mix. Not good.
                            And if it's a 450 (not sure if other models are applicable), *don't* screw the dipstick in to check, just sit it on top of the threads to read the level...
                            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Try to remove the no 3 header and drop a bolt into the engine, don't ask.

Comment

n) Buying a $100 carb sync tool.

n2) Being a senior member who disrespects "newbs". All of us are GS riders/wrenchers. Most all seniors on this site are amazing and willing to help. Contrary to somebody's thoughts on 11/06/11, the seniors on this site are more willing and helpful than the menial "troubleshooting chapter" of my Clymer.

Comment

Working...
                                X