Top 10 Newbie Mistakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
    I have NEVER stuffed a rag into a cam chain galley. Don't know if it's because I am a mechanic or just careful but I HAVE dropped a bolt or 9 in the cam chain galley & had to fish them out with different methods. My favorite is a magnet I have with a shield over it to keep it from grabbing magnetic stuff on the way down. After that I like stainless safety wire to hook nuts with. Experience & "Oh SH!T!" moments are the best teachers. I can honestly say I haven't had to fish a bolt or anything else out of a cam chain galley in over 10 years.
    Ray.
    Stuffing rags is a trick us mortals have to use. We just don't have the courage to keep fishing bolts and sockets out with the certainty that retrieval is inevitable.

Comment

It has been about 10 years since I have had to use a magnet down the can chain tunnel,
      but this is why I use the "zip-tie method" instead of that "special tool" to change shims:

No, I don't use a rag, either.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

This is a good thread for us newbies. Now I can count it as another I've caught up on via this site so my own noob questions are more informed. I found this thread because it was in the sig of Nessism and he replied to one of my recent posts (thanks!)

I'll add that patience is truly a virtue. As frustrating as us noobs can sometimes be; if one is truly eager and open to learning, then there is no such thing as a stupid question. I work at a university where I'm in a position to mentor my younger staff and to teach students and one thing I always keep in mind is that part of being a newbie in a particular field (or just young and by definition a newbie in every field is that sometimes they don't know the right questions to ask, much less the answers. For instance, a moto noob would not necessarily know that it helps, when asking for advice, to offer extra info like your weight, riding style, or region; that has to be learned just like the wave.

I've found this forum, like the forum for my previous bike, to be mostly full of incredibly generous and knowledgable riders and wrenchers. The reasons I enjoy motorcycling is a) to ride (5,000 miles a year on average; can't get enough) and b) to be in the position of student, constantly learning new things about a whole new field from folks like you all. I'm ready to absorb it all; so bring it on!

Comment

I read it. I like 11 best. All are useful tips.
          I don't think I paid too much.

Now if only I had a fuel tank...

Comment

Originally posted by coyoteyip View Post
            This is a good thread for us newbies. Now I can count it as another I've caught up on via this site so my own noob questions are more informed. I found this thread because it was in the sig of Nessism and he replied to one of my recent posts (thanks!)

I'll add that patience is truly a virtue. As frustrating as us noobs can sometimes be; if one is truly eager and open to learning, then there is no such thing as a stupid question. I work at a university where I'm in a position to mentor my younger staff and to teach students and one thing I always keep in mind is that part of being a newbie in a particular field (or just young and by definition a newbie in every field is that sometimes they don't know the right questions to ask, much less the answers. For instance, a moto noob would not necessarily know that it helps, when asking for advice, to offer extra info like your weight, riding style, or region; that has to be learned just like the wave.

I've found this forum, like the forum for my previous bike, to be mostly full of incredibly generous and knowledgable riders and wrenchers. The reasons I enjoy motorcycling is a) to ride (5,000 miles a year on average; can't get enough) and b) to be in the position of student, constantly learning new things about a whole new field from folks like you all. I'm ready to absorb it all; so bring it on!
            Good post... for a newb lol! Welcome to the site, and the journey!
            "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Hello!! I am a complete noob!! I was given a 1982 GS850L...the bike has sat in a barn for about 5 years! I was about to put full synthetic10w-30(all I had sitting in my garage) Drain the gas tank, put fresh gas in and see if it would turn over...I want to make sure it is going to before I put some time into it!!How bad would this be to do??14303716180812019828596.jpg
              Last edited by Guest; 04-30-2015, 01:27 AM.

Comment

You'll do better to just clean the carbs, do the valve adjustment, and run through all of the maintenance listed here and on Basscliff's site (http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff first to give you a good starting point. As this thread tries to allude to, it gives you a good known baseline to start from instead of trying to fight at least 5 years of neglect.
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Bob View Post
                  Hello!! I am a complete noob!! I was given a 1982 GS850L...the bike has sat in a barn for about 5 years! I was about to put full synthetic10w-30(all I had sitting in my garage) Drain the gas tank, put fresh gas in and see if it would turn over...I want to make sure it is going to before I put some time into it!!How bad would this be to do??
                  While the urge to hear it run can be somewhat overwhelming, you may be doing some damage in the process. Tame your noob-ness a bit, do some of the basic stuff that is outlined in the guide, USE THE PROPER MATERIALS (oil should be 10w-40), and you will be rewarded with a well-running motorcycle.

What part of oHIo? You might be close enough for some in-person help from a local member.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob View Post
                    Hello!! I am a complete noob!! I was given a 1982 GS850L...the bike has sat in a barn for about 5 years! I was about to put full synthetic10w-30(all I had sitting in my garage) Drain the gas tank, put fresh gas in and see if it would turn over...I want to make sure it is going to before I put some time into it!!How bad would this be to do??
                    What you might do is make sure it has some oil in it, pull all the plug wires and see if the engine will crank. If it does then do a compression check. If the engine cranks and has good compression everything else is a slam dunk. Best not to run the engine until you sort out all of the basics though.
                    Last edited by Allie; 04-30-2015, 07:51 AM.
                    "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Ok, my buddy came over...we have compression!!! So, in the process...my throttle is stuck...one of the carbs are stuck...kinda odd, Hoping it was the mice I found in the air intake left an acorn or something in the carb...haha..also tank is rusty...bad...I will do more searching on the forums!! I'll start a new post with updates!! Thanks for the input!! I live near Lima!!

Comment

As an admitted newbie, just beginning a rebuild, I just wanted to say I greatly appreciate this post. I have read it and will likely be rereading it about 16 more times as I make progress on my project. So, in short, thank you

Comment

New to the community here I have always loved Suzuki 's I recently picked up a 79 gs850 great shape runs great he sold it to me for $375 because it would not charge even after he replaced the stator following the stator papers I found the stator was not putting out enough ac voltage 25v at 5k rpm each leg anyway after reading through these forums thoroughly I bought my Clymer book today going to have patience and go through this right I've rode her for 25 miles fell in love can't wait to go through her and get maintenance done up properly before I ride some more planning on a nice winter run through thanks to you all for this thread I agree it should be sticky. Oh and my wife agreed on telling me it's dinner 10 minutes early because it's hard to tear me away when I have something unfinished.

Comment

This is all gold. I'm finding several things (swingarm, suspension, carbs, and etc) to fix in my 550 daily. But now I know what to do after I get the bike built. Thanks for the wise words!

Comment

For #7, the rewiring, I'm a little confused by what R/R is. Can anyone give me a quick definition?

Comment

Originally posted by lettuceman44 View Post
                                For #7, the rewiring, I'm a little confused by what R/R is. Can anyone give me a quick definition?
                                Regulator/rectifier
                                sigpic
                                83 GS1100g
                                2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Working...
                                X