No announcement yet.

Brake reservoir sight glass replacement - pictorial tutorial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sure is nice to be able to see into there again, aint it?

Well done, yours looks great!

Comment

Oh yeah!Very happy boy here

Comment

Here's the finished MC.Going on today.

Comment

And here are a few photos of mine installed, bled, and leak free:

Comment

And here's mine

No leaking either,way firmer than the one I had on there.Plus I can see the level

Comment

GREAT idea and tutorial Smokey! FWIW, I work at a company that tempers glass. Among other processes they offer, they also drill holes in glass. When I saw this tutorial a thought came to mind that some members here might be interested in taking me up on that may save alot of time and frustration. I may be able to provide the glass needed at the right ID for the cost of postage. The glass would be the "cores" that are a by-product of the drilling process. They're tossed in the trash. So this is what I'm offering.......if anyone is interested in doing this, PM me the OD of the site glass they need (along with what model its for) and I'll see if I have or can get any of that size. I'll respond to that person AND post on here if that size is readily available and, like I said earlier, I'll put 1 or 2 in an envelope and mail it.
              Just my way of "paying it forward" if possible.
              Willie
              Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
              '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
              '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
              '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

very impressive, Great tutorial.

Comment

Originally posted by willie View Post
                  GREAT idea and tutorial Smokey! FWIW, I work at a company that tempers glass. Among other processes they offer, they also drill holes in glass. When I saw this tutorial a thought came to mind that some members here might be interested in taking me up on that may save alot of time and frustration. I may be able to provide the glass needed at the right ID for the cost of postage. The glass would be the "cores" that are a by-product of the drilling process. They're tossed in the trash. So this is what I'm offering.......if anyone is interested in doing this, PM me the OD of the site glass they need (along with what model its for) and I'll see if I have or can get any of that size. I'll respond to that person AND post on here if that size is readily available and, like I said earlier, I'll put 1 or 2 in an envelope and mail it.
                  Just my way of "paying it forward" if possible.
                  Willie
                  Great idea.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Great idea willie.Just have one question,how thick are the cores?The mirrors are 2mm or 1/16th thick.May get 4mm or 1/8 in the bezel but not much more.

Comment

Good question. Minimum thickness we work with is 1/8".
                      Willie
                      Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
                      '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
                      '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
                      '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Thanks for the post and pics. I need to do this on a couple old reservoirs in my parts bin.

Comment

Busa,

When you do them, be sure to post up some pics, eh?

Comment

Hey, Smokingapankake, thanks for posting this tutorial, it got me inspired to replace my glass!

While looking for a glass source I came upon this other guide: http://wiki.sabmagfaq.org/Site_glass_replacement. They used a watch crystal to replace the glass. I can't believe I didn't think about it myself, being that I buy and sell watches for a living .

The diameter of the crystal we need is 16.7mm. I found them on ebay, seller universalnyc, for 4.99+ 2.45 shipping for a pack of 5. They are also available at www.ofrei.com cheaper, but they have a $15 minimum order.

Here is the result! (excuse the ugly epoxy job and the peeling paint)

Comment

Scaylabs,

Thanks for posting that; I'd considered watch crystals as well but found the minimum order requirement, combined with shipping, to be far too expensive for my tastes. That link you posted appears to be a good resource!

And well done on your brake reservoir!

Comment

Minimum order at that place to.$15,awful lot of crystals for one MC.

Comment

Working...
                                X