80 GS1000G Choke Cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80 GS1000G Choke Cable

When I bought my GS1000G the choke was disabled. I thought the cable was broke, but it is fine. I just completely cleaned the carbs and reassembled them but I can't figure out how the choke cable attaches and functions. There may be some parts missing, I don't know. All I have is what was on the carb choke community rod and the cable down, nothing else between. I'll try to attache a photo.

Originally posted by Flywheel View Post
    When I bought my GS1000G the choke was disabled. I thought the cable was broke, but it is fine. I just completely cleaned the carbs and reassembled them but I can't figure out how the choke cable attaches and functions. There may be some parts missing, I don't know. All I have is what was on the carb choke community rod and the cable down, nothing else between. I'll try to attache a photo.
    What you have is a "choke" assembly from an '82-and-up carb set, on what you claim is an '80 bike. No problem, but you need the rest of the hardware. On the newer bikes, there is a curved tube that will bolt on to the top of #2 carb and direct the cable to the mechanism you pictured. You need to have the correct cable, as the '80 cable will not work. Switching to the newer cable will also require you to change the left switch housing on the handlebar, to accomodate the lever that mounts on the bottom.

A far easier solution would be to get the correct "community rail" as you called it, and activation mechanism for your year bike. I belive I have what you need. Send me a PM, we can discuss it.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have the hardware for the 80-81 choke. I'll include an extra choke rod piece since you'll need another one to replace the one on the #4 carb with a normal one.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hi,

For reference, this is what it looks like on my bike. Throttle cable on the left, choke on the right:

More pictures HERE.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Photo of choke assembly rod end

This is a better view of the rod end part by No.4. No bracket on the carb for holding the choke adjustment end is present.

Comment

Working...
          X