Welcome to my Click.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome to my Click.

I have read some posts about this and they all say I should be able to cross the two posts on the solenoid and the starter should turn over. I tried it, and I get nothing but the solenoid click. I am scared to death of wiring, can you throw some suggestions my way in the most redneck terms possible?

The first thing to realise about wiring in general is that if contacts and connectors are dirty or corroded electricity flow can be stopped or severly reduced. The second thing to know is that if grounds are not clean and tight electricity will again not flow.

With these old bikes corrosion is very common so you should start by cleaning all contacts and connectors from the battery terminals, through the fuse block and down "stream to the solenoid and starter motor.Don't forget the grounds. The switch on the right handlebar is also part of the starter circuit and you should carefully take it apart and clean the "fragile" contacts inside as well. Be carefull with these as there are some small parts that can get away from you.

If you still don't have a starter motor you can try to jump the solenoid as you mentioned. If this fires the starter then its possible the solenoid is toast or something up stream (i.e. starter button) is faulty.

Unfortunately it is also possible that the starter motor itself is worn out. If you run a heavier guage wire from the connector on the starter and touch it to the positive post on the battery and it still doesnt turn then it likely needs some repairs (likely just new brushes).

There is a very good book on motorcycle electrics and troubleshooting by a chap named Tracy Martin. If you Google his name you will likely be able to source it. It will help you understand how it all works and help you figure out what's going on with your bike.

Good luck with it.

Cheers,
    Spyug

PS Here is that book http://www.webbikeworld.com/books/mo...al-systems.htm
    Last edited by Guest; 03-27-2011, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Is your battery fully charged?

That's where you start for electrical

You need a properly charged battery

What's the resting voltage for the battery?

What's the voltage when you press the starter button?
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

resting is 12.11

I push the start button, it clicks, 11.87

Comment

It's normal in this case. The solenoid takes about 1 amp just to make it click and that's why the voltage is a little lower when you press the button.

Something you could try.

Put the bike on center stand and in top gear.

Grab the rear tire and turn it backwards.

This rotates the engine and starter backwards.

put it back in neutral and try the start button

This might allow the brushes to make contact if there is a dead spot in the armature inside the starter. Or if there was something between the brush and armature.
          Stephen.
          1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
          1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
          Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
          GS twin wiki

Comment

I have tried that with no success. I took some picks of the starter, sorry all I have is my phone. Does it look ok?

Comment

Inside of the starter.

Comment

had this happen to me, it ended up being the solenoid. it would click, but not work the starter. i disassembled it and cleaned it up, some burned contacts in there, works great now. just a possibility.
                greg
                1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Originally posted by 0mental0 View Post
                  I have read some posts about this and they all say I should be able to cross the two posts on the solenoid and the starter should turn over. I tried it, and I get nothing but the solenoid click. I am scared to death of wiring, can you throw some suggestions my way in the most redneck terms possible?
                  I like your psoting title "welcome to my click".
                  haa haa

You say you "cross the two post on solenoid" and you get only the click.
                  Ah, what two posts are you "crossing"?
                  TO preform this test you should be crossing the two big posts, which should just put battery power staright to the starter. THis is to eliminate any of the ignition key and the clutch swtich and the starter button and the solenoid itself, and just put battery power straight to the starter motor, as a test of the battery and the starter motor. SHould not involve any click of the solenoid (might be a kissst spark sound).

If you were crossing the one big post (to one from the battery) to the small post, that would just just eliminate the ignition switch and and the clutch swtich and the starter button, but still be using the solenoid the same as if the button had energized the solenoid, and click just the same as if the button clicked the solenoid. That is what you would do if you were concerend with a problem with the ignition swtich or the clutch switch or the starter button.

Now, about your photos:
                  Cant really tell.
                  THe brushes look like they have enogh lenght left, not all worn down and real short (I have seen them still work when worn down to about where that wire attatches). Would also need to see the the commutator (where the brushes ride on the rotor).
                  The stator does seem to have an unsuall wear pattern, but cant really tell.

Good test of your battery and the starter motor is to jump acrost the two big post on your solenoid.

Last edited by Redman; 03-27-2011, 11:47 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Yep, I was gonna say what Redman just said.

If you cross the two big posts on the solenoid, you should NOT hear a click, you should hear the starter turn.
                    Crossing the two big posts does NOT energize the solenoid for the "click".

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Just to clarify, when I cross the two big posts at the solenoid nothing happens. I also noticed after the starter is apart the brushes need replaced, so those are getting done. I still don't understand why nothing happens at the solenoid. I figured I would atleast get a spark or something.

Comment

Originally posted by 0mental0 View Post
                        Just to clarify, when I cross the two big posts at the solenoid nothing happens. I also noticed after the starter is apart the brushes need replaced, so those are getting done. I still don't understand why nothing happens at the solenoid. I figured I would atleast get a spark or something.
                        Apparently Beacuse your starter is not a starter, it is nothing. If the brushes are real bad they are not making any connection to anything.
                        So when you cross the solenoid you are putting power to <<nothing>> , no current flow.

If you are replacing ghe brushes, you will also want to clean up the commutator at least some. Maybe touch it up with emmory paper to get the brush material off of it. To do a better job will require machine shop tools.

Here are pics of when I did that. I did mine by hand in a hand drill and emmory cloth on a paint stick.

<<let me look for the photos

Last edited by Redman; 03-27-2011, 11:57 PM.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Does the selinoid click when you push the starter button/ If it does at least you know thats good. And I know your smart enough to check the fuses, but recheck to se if they had blown since last you checked.. May sound fundamental but they can be bad BEHIND the metal ends as well and the wire look just fine..even if it LOOKS good..try a new one anyways just for $hits and grins..
                          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Before.
                            Mine was not completrly dead (like yours) was turning slow and sometimes even slower, would have to hit the buitton a few times to get it to go slow (instead of real slow).

After

Note: my starter happened to be the type that has 4 brushes.
                            Last edited by Redman; 03-28-2011, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Thank you guys for all the help. After the brushes are replaced and I clean up the solenoid, I will see if it does the trick, I miss riding my GS. Again thank you all.

Comment

Working...
                              X