GS300L - Am I insane?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS300L - Am I insane?

A co-worker's wife bought a non-working 82 GS300L with no title off a neighbor for a hundred bucks... he gave it to me because he wanted it out of his garage and now I have a project bike.

Here's the list of parts the bike is missing...

1. No Keys... I've heard rumors that there might be a code somewhere on the ignition that could lead to getting a key made. Need to pull the ignition and look.

2. Ignition Switch wiring... It's missing. The harness is there but somebody pulled the wiring from the base of the ignition switch unit.

3. Battery... YB10L-A2 There seems to be a lot of replacements available.

Here's the real kicker!

4. The CDI/Ignitor Box... It's missing. Saw one on ebay but they don't appear to be common. Could be the hardest part to get.

5. Front Brake Cable and Master Cylinder... not impossible to find.

The engine looks pretty clean otherwise. The gas tank was disconnected and unbolted but with no key can't get a look inside. Petcock is a bit stiff to turn.

The engine still has oil in it. Dark but not horrible. I still need to check the plugs.

I need to remove the Stator cover and see if it's still in there.

I'm guessing I'll have to spend around $200-$300 bucks just to see if it will run.

Are there other things I should be looking at?

The odometer reading says about 6850 miles. Seems sad that the bike didn't have a better life.

The CDI box is going to be a pain isn't it.

But hey, it was free right?

Thanks,
    Doug

No master cylinder on that bike .. all cable brakes.

They are tough little fellas.

Comment

Originally posted by mriddle View Post
      No master cylinder on that bike .. all cable brakes.

They are tough little fellas.
      Good to know! Thanks!

Comment

Did you see this?

"lots of parts for a 82 Suzuki GS300. what do you need? i probably have it. "

1982 GS1100GL Citrus County, FL

a rare outsider and was only built until 1983. Who still has one, it gives her so little.

Comment

I'm not sure on the pickup coils for the GS300, but if they're anything like the '82 450, then I'm working on an alternative to the ignitor right now, see my ignitor thread in my signature.
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by fishfarm View Post
            Did you see this?

"lots of parts for a 82 Suzuki GS300. what do you need? i probably have it. "

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/2294800605.html

Thanks for the lead Fishfarm. I've sent an email.

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
              I'm not sure on the pickup coils for the GS300, but if they're anything like the '82 450, then I'm working on an alternative to the ignitor right now, see my ignitor thread in my signature.

Pete - I'll have to check out the coils and see if they have any numbers or markings to see if they match.

Comment

i would see if you can get it titled before putting to much into it, no title, no key and ignition switch wiring a mess... sounds like it might have been ripped off at some point in its past, could be long forgotten but still.

might be a good match with a parts bike / frame with a clean title.

Comment

Yes, get the title sorted before putting a whole lot into it. Without the title, there's no plates and no riding......
                  Larry D
                  1980 GS450S
                  1981 GS450S
                  2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
                    Yes, get the title sorted before putting a whole lot into it. Without the title, there's no plates and no riding......
                    I looked it up on the Ohio BMV website and it shows that the title is listed as active. The most recent registration was in 2002 and the sold price was listed as $100. I'm going to run over to the Deputy Registrar tomorrow and see what they can tell me.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks guys!

Comment

It looks as though I'm going to go the Court ordered title route.

Comment

Best of luck in the courts. Do you perhaps have any pictures to share with us?

It should be a fun little ride when you are done!

A buddy of mine always said it is more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow!

May your daydreams be filled with high-RPM screams and the smell of burning rubber!

Comment

Here she is... I have the tank and seat, they're just placed to the side.

I have more pictures I can post later.

The third pic below shows the missing igniter "black box" *hint* it's the one clean spot on the panel.

Comment

If I am not mistaken, I put coils from a TL1000 on my 300L .. worked just fine.

Regulator / Rectifier from a modern GSXR.

Comment

I had to settle my own curiousity and see what your signal generator coils were like compared to the 450 to see if my ignitor replacement would suit your 300 (if it works of course).

Unfortunately, they aren't the same.

I downloaded the 1982 GS250T - 300LZ manual from BassCliff's site and it reports your pickup coils are 200 - 280 ohms, whereas the 450's are 60 - 80 ohms.

However, you may want to compare them with the GS1000 pickup coils, and if they look the same, then Matchless has a diagram ready to roll to use the HEI modules that may work for you.
                              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
                              X