No announcement yet.

GS300L - Am I insane?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the 300! I commuted 60 miles per day on one for 6 months or so. Pulled my tubby self thru the air (with Plexiglas shield) at 65mph and 65 mpg day after day! Great little bike! I picked mine up from a garage sale for $100 also, with no title. I never DID get a title. Wildly illegal, but there it is.

Good luck with yours.

Comment

For what it's worth I wrote down the numbers from the engine casing as "K502 101987"

Is the last set of numbers a date stamp or is it a production number as in 101,987th unit made?
      Last edited by Guest; 04-08-2011, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kirkn View Post
        I like the 300! I commuted 60 miles per day on one for 6 months or so. Pulled my tubby self thru the air (with Plexiglas shield) at 65mph and 65 mpg day after day! Great little bike! I picked mine up from a garage sale for $100 also, with no title. I never DID get a title. Wildly illegal, but there it is.

Good luck with yours.
        Sounds good kirkn! You're braver than me though when it comes to driving legally. You're a wildman!

Comment

Ok, that CDI ignitor box is gonna be a real bear to find. If you do find one of these they tend to be kinda pricey too. the last listing price when they were even available to buy brand new was like 270 bucks. as for the title. I Would sort that out before working on getting it going. i put 400 dollars into mine for a top end rebuild and i dont even have a title for it. SO IM TURNING IT INTO AN ENDURO!!! i would recommend the 50 dollar bond title. This way, if somebody tries to come by and say its their bike, that 50 bucks protects you from that. a really bad problem i had with my GS300 before i sold it was the rectifier. They only regulate 3 of the 4 leads and they burn up all the time. I would recommend an 80 dollar aftermarket one. For now though, just focus on getting that little beast going. they are fun poppy little machines that will ride for ever. Sorry my reply took so long, PM me if you got any more questions broskie

Comment

Originally posted by Kitten Tooth View Post
            Ok, that CDI ignitor box is gonna be a real bear to find. If you do find one of these they tend to be kinda pricey too. the last listing price when they were even available to buy brand new was like 270 bucks. as for the title. I Would sort that out before working on getting it going. i put 400 dollars into mine for a top end rebuild and i dont even have a title for it. SO IM TURNING IT INTO AN ENDURO!!! i would recommend the 50 dollar bond title. This way, if somebody tries to come by and say its their bike, that 50 bucks protects you from that. a really bad problem i had with my GS300 before i sold it was the rectifier. They only regulate 3 of the 4 leads and they burn up all the time. I would recommend an 80 dollar aftermarket one. For now though, just focus on getting that little beast going. they are fun poppy little machines that will ride for ever. Sorry my reply took so long, PM me if you got any more questions broskie
            Thanks for the info! I found somebody selling the CDI box for $99 but I didn't buy it because I was waiting to figure out the Title stuff but now I'm kicking myself for not snatching it up when I had the chance.

Crap!

I guess really shouldn't complain (yet) since the bike was given to me for free.

However, I did find a working ignition switch w/wiring, locking gas cap with original key. That I jumped on.

Somebody here on the forum has a way of cross referencing part numbers between the different models. If I can find them, perhaps I'll get lucky and find a match for the CDI box from another model.

Comment

if you do happen to find another CDI box, i would jump on it. That box is like the magic part for that model of bike. There will almost always be somebody to come along and buy it so if things dont work out with the title, you can always just get your money back for it

Comment

Hmm engine is alot like my gsx250s, wonder if they have the same part your after?

Comment

I just cross referenced the igniter on the Zedder cross reference program that I have and ; GS300 igniter
                  82 GS300L
                  83 GS300L
                  85 GS300L
                  these are the only models listed for this igniter
                  part# 32900-11910
                  1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                  80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                  1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                  83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                  85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                  1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                  “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                  If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Mine ends in 44410, just went out and checked. My bike wasnt released in the states apparently.

Comment

Hi everyone!

I'm finally back and have the title in hand! Woo hoo!

I also obtained a gs300 ignitor off of ebay.

Now I need to pick up a battery and install the ignition.

So my question now is... Should I have the engine rebuilt first or should I go ahead and change the oil, plugs, and give it a crank?

When the bike is in gear and you move it along you can hear compression in the engine but I have no idea when the last time it was run or if it will.

I just don't want to cause any unnecessary damage if possible.

Are there particular things I should examine or do before trying to start such an old and unknown engine?

Thanks!
                      Doug Focht

Comment

I would prep it and give it a shot.

Nice to see another 300L around here

Comment

As long as it's not seized and not full of fuel due to a dodgy fuel tap then I'd probably give her a go.

If you're unsure about cam timing then maybe whip the valve cover off and double check that... you can always do a valve clearance check while you're in there too...
                          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Start her up !!!!! These bikes WANT to run !!!!!!

Of course, drain any nasty fuel and put in fresh. Make sure there's oil in the engine and a fully charged battery and give her a go !!!!!!
                            Larry D
                            1980 GS450S
                            1981 GS450S
                            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Thanks for the input guys! I'll keep you posted!

Comment

Any update?

Comment

Working...
                                X