Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$270 '78 GS1000EC Project (Frankenstien Re-build)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$270 '78 GS1000EC Project (Frankenstien Re-build)

Long overdue. Started this project last May in hopes that I'd have it on the road before fall, but construction-work and college-work took up more time - and then, more work when fall came.
    Now, after returning home about 2 months ago from 5+ months of work out of state, I finally begin my project thread...(I promise not to be so long-winded in subsequent updates)

About me:
    Student(working towards a BSBA for the time being); Self employed(construction, general contracting, repairs- structural, mechanical, electrical); Avid hobbyist/do-it-yourselfer (Rebuilt RX-7, electronics, computers, firearms, equipment, woodworking, ect.)
    I've owned one motorcycle before this, a completely stock(if it ain't broke, don't fix it) Yamaha Seca XJ600s, and loved it(all but the 4200rpm buzz from the front fairing that I never found a way to stop, short of removing the fairing altogether. It was nearly a year after selling the Seca when the bike bug really began to bite hard. I was already set on finding something simple and perhaps a little larger for longer rides(and perhaps more spirited riding) A GS model would have fit my criteria easily; although, I hadn't really considered one. There weren't any around locally and I wasn't that well informed on model/engine histories much then either. I sat on the fence for a while watching the classifieds for a decent used bike that fit my needs & budget... Perhaps a Honda or another Yamaha needing some new tires, a carb job, and a little paint?

That's when I stumbled on this old GS and decided a real project bike was the way to go, and began hunting for what parts I could find(and budget) to put it back together in a slightly sportier, intimidating, and updated configuration... and then dreamed about riding all that summer long!
    The Bike:
    1978 GS1000EC with 28,000mi on the clock. Poor condition overall. Not running when purchased. The motor turned freely(but the crankcase was dry?) Missing: Gas tank, Side covers, Seat, Most of the intake, Rear signal lights & brackets, Little bits and pieces(some were stashed in a cardboard box)
    The PO had been the second(or third) owner, had stored it away around 12 years ago when a medical condition prevented him from riding.
    It was in decent restorable shape when he took it to a "guy from church" who was supposed fix the old girl up for him(using a few cosmetic parts from a donor GS he had picked up for cheap)... The guy soon after stopped answering phone calls and then completely disappeared(more likely just didn't want to be found). When the PO and his son went to get his bike back they found the bike had been picked for parts and the donor bike was no where to be found.

After all that the PO was still regretfully selling his old bike. He was starting a kitchen remodel project and he already bought a new cruiser to satisfy his riding needs - and, I think it was to much for him to see the bike sit there in the condition it now was in.

The beginning(minus the crazy huge road cruiser fairing with built in radio):

Wow! Dude offers to help him fix er up, then takes parts off it to fix up his own bike, or just parts them both out for a profit, then disappears! Holy crapnuggets!
    Maybe I'm sheltered, but I would not have seen that coming from an inch away!
    Good luck with it!

Comment

Nice frogs, too bad about that church guy, you have to watch out for them.
      They seem to think this kind of crap is OK as long as they ask forgiveness or say some Hail Marys or something.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I've learned to look at religion in general as being at a individual/personal level, and only a few traits can be considered common among like-minded believers. Dishonest people are everywhere, so I don't fault the church this guy was going to. The problem lay solely within that individual, and according to the Bible, each individual(regardless of any group they belong to) must give and account of their deeds before the judgment seat.(2 Corinthians 5:10)
        There's a big difference between someone who just shows up at a building Sundays to feel good(and thinking they're top taco just for showing up), and a person who reads, understands, and strives to live according to words such as, "Do unto others as you would have them do to you" Mat 7:12.

But I digress from religious musings for which only some have an interest, and return to the task at hand(which should interest most here):

Where was the oil leak? About a weeks worth of leakage on the shop floor(time to raid the kitty litter):

A cold/dry (and probably slower cranking than normal) compression test revealed 122-121-110.5-121.5 psi compression. Seems promising... After putting in some fresh oil, setting up a fuel bottle, and connecting a battery(after looking over the harness and insulating a couple bare wires), She actually cranked and ran for short spurts.

I was expecting a cloud of smoke, but none appeared! After that I parked the bike inside and resumed a busy work schedule, returning a few days later to find about 4oz of fresh oil on the floor.

After cleaning up case with scrub brush and engine degreaser I found this:

What it is, is a small crack radiating vertically beside a perfect little circle galled into the case, right behind the lower left mounting hole. (Someone had torqued a long bolt through the mount tab and into the side case!).

Comment

Is the engine toast? What's your plan?

1978 GS1000C
          1979 GS1000E
          1980 GS1000E
          2004 Roadstar

Comment

The scratched steel tube is the frame and you did not rotate the picture so that we could put in into perspective?
            Is that the case? You do not have a "rotate" option for your pictures?
            I am trying to figure out just what is cracked and where it is on the bike.

Daniel

Comment

my guess is this is right by the brake pedal?

Comment

Starter drain hole?? Its hard to tell where that picture is on the bike.

Comment

Under the bike?

Daniel

Comment

Obviously from the bottom view based on the drop of oil on the case ridges..and on the right side just behind the pipes..
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Cant be certain from the closeup picture but heres a thread about the mystery hole.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Comment

Sorry about the weird angle. I was taking that picture laying on my side and twisting to get a clear shot directly under the lower left engine mount.

The crack appears to be a little over an inch long, and almost disappeared after sandblasting. I'll have a better pic up soon. After blasting I left the sealed up motor to sit, so the crack hasn't been fixed, yet.

I was hoping the motor would be good for another riding season or two before needing a proper rebuild. I've seen guys patch big holes in dirt-bike cases with JB-Weld, and I've had very good luck with it in the past(works great for bedding rifle actions, btw). I know it's still not an ideal fix, but I really don't want to get into the motor until I know it needs other internal servicing done.

Maybe at that time it would be best to just pick up a good used bottom case instead of trying to tig weld it?

Initially, I was going to go as cheap as possible to get it back on the road - Bobber Style . But reason got the better of me and quickly changed my mind.

So my plan is/was to: Update the electrical/ignition components for increased reliability; Brace and clean up the frame; "update" the rear end with swingarm swap and a little extra height; Sporterize the handlebars and foot pegs; Upgrade the front brakes; Fit a slightly larger gas tank from whatever I could find for cheap and hopefully make it look good on the bike; Fabricate my own seat and side panels; Pods & 4-1 exhaust; and generally clean up/fix/modify/paint the varied parts for the best form and function to suit my needs. For a seemingly cobbled-together project, I hope it won't be completely unrecognizable as a GS or lack decent continuity (aesthetically and functionally).

But this is my first real "project bike" so I don't expect it to be absolutely perfect the first try. I do have some skill & know a few tricks, but I'm still learning a lot as I go.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Midas View Post
                          After cleaning up case with scrub brush and engine degreaser I found this:

What it is, is a small crack radiating vertically beside a perfect little circle galled into the case [not a hole*], right behind the lower left mounting hole. (Someone had torqued a long bolt through the mount tab and into the side case!).
                          To Me, what it sounds like, is some one put a longer bolt through the frame mount and it contacted the side of the engine case; cracking it.

if it were me, I would lean the bike to the right side or drain the oil, clean and degrease the area, sand it, then JB weld the cracked area.

*emphasis added
                          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

If the engine is out of the frame,
                            just take it to a local bike or machine shop and have them WELD it.
                            Should only be the "shop minimum charge" of about $15.00.

Daniel

Comment

I vote weld it. In the current condition (sans body, almost naked, actually), a pleasant afternoon o wrenching should have that engine free of the frame.
                              But - it is a heavy bugger so you might want to enlist the help of a few strong back, weak-minded friends to lug that lump around.

The advantage, obviously, is a repair done properly, and also the ability to inspect areas otherwise difficult to see.

Should you go the JB weld route, be sure everything is clean. CLEAN. CLEAN!!!!! Otherwise you're just shooting yourself in the foot.

Comment

Working...
                              X