83esd and an 85 es carb.... questions..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83esd and an 85 es carb.... questions..

So, after almost a year of working on this thing and numerous threads for help.. I think i've got it..

I bought a set of used carbs (from an 85 Gs 550 es) and directly bolted them on my bike and it fired and ran... Now im in search of some answers...

Did they change anything from the 83 to the 85's ? Anything that is a major issue... Like the jets etc...

And will it affect anything... The only problem i am having is if i let it idle after it's warm for about 1-2 minutes it will die out everytime (Seems like it's running rich) What would i need to adjust to fix this?

Originally posted by David_510 View Post
    So, after almost a year of working on this thing and numerous threads for help.. I think i've got it..

I bought a set of used carbs (from an 85 Gs 550 es) and directly bolted them on my bike and it fired and ran... Now im in search of some answers...

Did they change anything from the 83 to the 85's ? Anything that is a major issue... Like the jets etc...

And will it affect anything... The only problem i am having is if i let it idle after it's warm for about 1-2 minutes it will die out everytime (Seems like it's running rich) What would i need to adjust to fix this?
    what do your plugs look like?? If its rich at idle, they'll be blacker than a baboons arse..

There are other things you need to check, like your boots? (not the ones on your feet) Intake boots tend to dry out, and shrink away from the airbox or carbs, making them leak... check your plug colour first and we'll move on from there..

Comment

Boots are surprisngly still sealed.

Me and the pops (He's a mechanic just doesn't have much time and doesn't know imports too well, old harley guy) sprayed the boots with some ether and the bike didn't pick up in idle... So it's not leaking air. I know it's running rich. Im sure the plugs are black. I will check them tomorrow.

But im thinking maybe the jets inside the carb are bigger than before?

Unfortunatly im not wanting to tear this carb apart and clean it because it is currently running pretty well and don't want to ruin something good lol.

Comment

Working...
      X