No Spark - Just stopped while running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Spark - Just stopped while running

Hello Everyone! I am new to this forum, but i see a wealth of information on here. I have a 1981 GS550. Last summer, I was driving down the freeway, and all the sudden, my bike just lost all spark. Almost like someone pressed the kill switch. I pulled over and found that everything worked - the lights, starter, everything but the spark plugs. I am not getting spark on any plug. So I stored it for the winter and just pulled it out to look at it again last week. I got a new battery for it, put it in and found that it still turns over, but the indicator lights are all messed up and my blinkers dont blink, headlight doesnt come on, and brake light is not working. Almost like the whole electrical system went crazy.

So my question is - Is this a symptom of one part going bad, or do i have multiple problems? IF so what could it be and how can i check?
    Thanks for your help in advance. I will check and update every day.
    -Mark

No Spark - Stopped Running Additional Info

I wanted to note - I am going to get new bulbs and check that for the lights issue first. I'm not too concerned about the lights yet. I really just want to get it running again. I think i can figure out the lights later.
    First, I was just wondering how i check if the ignitor is good or bad. I am going to trace voltage thru the key switch and kill switch, but i think it is fine, because it turns over when i press the start button. Which wires do i check for voltage when testing the coils and ignitor.
    Any info would help. Thanks again.
    -Mark

Comment

If it was running and then just quit I would back up to that point. Start with all new fuses (cheap) and thoroughly clean the fuse box and electrical connectors with some electrical spray contact cleaner. Check to see if the PO mighta put in a coil relay mod that went bad.

I'm not being a SA here but do check to see if you hooked up the new Batt arse backwards. It happens.....
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

not battery or fuses

thanks for the idea - but i am pretty mechanically inclined. I checked all the fuses and yes, the battery is right.( It turns over and such) I am pretty sure it is the ignitor or the coils/points? I'm not sure how that aspect of it really works. any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks
        -MArk

Comment

Wiring Diagram - 1981 GS550

Here is the wiring diagram i have. Hope it can help.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Markattsi,

Your bike doesn't have points. It's an electronic ignition. If you're getting no spark I would suspect the igniter. But it's really hard to tell until you start troubleshooting and go through a process of elimination. Take off the seat, tank, and side covers. Go through the entire wiring harness and look for worn insulation that might be shorting wires to the frame. Check, clean, and replace any of those 30 year old connectors you deem necessary. Also clean the fuse box, ignition switch, and ground connections. Do you have 12 volts at the coils when you turn on the ignition?

Here are a few pertinent links from my little website:

Simplify The Wiring Diagram
            How To Repair Your Wiring Harness
            Cleaning Your Wiring Harness
            Testing The Ignition System

Anyway, let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Anyone have an Ignitor I can buy?

So - I found that the problem is the ignitor. I have power up to it, but no power to either coil. So, power is not getting thru the ignitor. If anyone has one for a 1981 GS550, or one that will work with it, please let me know. I am willing to pay decent price for it. I have a paypal account, or i can send cash. Whatever it takes. I just wanna get this baby running again. Thank you!

Comment

Hi,

Post your request in the Parts Wanted section and check the Parts For Sale section here in the forum. Also check Ebay, but be careful that the part you are buying is actually what you need. Sometimes the Ebay sellers are clueless.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

i would check your grounds before you go chasing after new parts. remember (K)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid, you may just have a loose ground somewhere.

Comment

I too would do a thorough check of all things electrical. Reading your original post, the problem seems indicative of wires shorting together, wires shorting to ground or an open to ground.

It is always a bummer to make a purchase and come to find that you still have a problem.

I am not sure on this one and maybe someone more experienced with electronic ignitions could clarify... I dont think you will see voltage leaving the ignitor unless the engine is turning over thus trying to fire. Maybe you are aware of this and have tested accordingly. just a suggestion.

Also, I believe power to the coils runs independantly of the ignitor. Have you checked for voltage at the coils?

Last, I have tried to track down an ignitor for the GS550 before. I didn't find much and what I did find was pricey for the ignitor alone. You may want to look for something aftermarket and complete (ignitor and whatever the piece that replaces the points is called).

Goodluck, hope you resolve your issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Markattsi View Post
                      So - I found that the problem is the ignitor. I have power up to it, but no power to either coil.
                      power is fed to the coils via the O/W wire. the igniter only grounds and un-grounds the coils. it supplies no power to the coils...

do you have voltage at the coils?
                      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

yes - power at coils.

I manually grounded and ungrounded the coils, they sppark fine. I know it is the ignitor. If anyone has one for a 1981 gs550, i will buy it. Let me know. Thank you,
                        Mark

Comment

It seems suspicious to me that your ignitor went bad as well as the lighting all at the same time. I may be entirely wrong but I suspect the R/R might be the problem and the fried ignitor and lights are a symptom.

Comment

It seems suspicious to me that your ignitor went bad as well as the lighting all at the same time. I may be entirely wrong but I suspect the R/R might be the problem and the fried ignitor and lights are a symptom.
                            This is exactly what I was told by the folks at Boyer Bransden ignitions in England. They mentioned that the 550s have a reputation for bad charging systems causing over voltages that fry the igniters. Before putting in another igniter you should disconnect your charging system incase it reacts the same way. Once the bike is running again test the stator output and if its in spec you may consider the R/R to be suspect and replace it ( see our friend Duaneage for a newer Honda type).

While I'm attempting to find a replacement igniter from the Suzuki range you can get a replacement system from Boyer Bransden but it is not cheap. Dynatek also offers the Dyna S ignition but it will require some engineering to fit & work. As mentioned, OEM replacements are near to impossible to find.

Good luck,
                            Spyug

Comment

Originally posted by Markattsi View Post
                              I manually grounded and ungrounded the coils, they sppark fine. I know it is the ignitor. If anyone has one for a 1981 gs550, i will buy it. Let me know. Thank you,
                              Mark
                              how do you do that? i have a similar issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X