Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No Spark - Just stopped while running

rustybronco is offline Forum LongTimer Bard Award Winner
    GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Markattsi View Post
    So - I found that the problem is the ignitor. I have power up to it, but no power to either coil.
    power is fed to the coils via the O/W wire. the igniter only grounds and un-grounds the coils. it supplies no power to the coils...

do you have voltage at the coils?

Markattsi Guest

Default yes - power at coils.

I manually grounded and ungrounded the coils, they sppark fine. I know it is the ignitor. If anyone has one for a 1981 gs550, i will buy it. Let me know. Thank you,
    Mark

Mith Guest

It seems suspicious to me that your ignitor went bad as well as the lighting all at the same time. I may be entirely wrong but I suspect the R/R might be the problem and the fried ignitor and lights are a symptom.

spyug Guest

It seems suspicious to me that your ignitor went bad as well as the lighting all at the same time. I may be entirely wrong but I suspect the R/R might be the problem and the fried ignitor and lights are a symptom.
    This is exactly what I was told by the folks at Boyer Bransden ignitions in England. They mentioned that the 550s have a reputation for bad charging systems causing over voltages that fry the igniters. Before putting in another igniter you should disconnect your charging system incase it reacts the same way. Once the bike is running again test the stator output and if its in spec you may consider the R/R to be suspect and replace it ( see our friend Duaneage for a newer Honda type).

While I'm attempting to find a replacement igniter from the Suzuki range you can get a replacement system from Boyer Bransden but it is not cheap. Dynatek also offers the Dyna S ignition but it will require some engineering to fit & work. As mentioned, OEM replacements are near to impossible to find.

Good luck,
    Spyug

mrameswmartin Guest

I manually grounded and ungrounded the coils, they sppark fine. I know it is the ignitor. If anyone has one for a 1981 gs550, i will buy it. Let me know. Thank you,
    Mark
    how do you do that? i have a similar issue.

So - I found that the problem is the ignitor. I have power up to it, but no power to either coil. So, power is not getting thru the ignitor. If anyone has one for a 1981 GS550, or one that will work with it, please let me know. I am willing to pay decent price for it. I have a paypal account, or i can send cash. Whatever it takes. I just wanna get this baby running again. Thank you!
    As rustybronco stated, the coils are fed positive juice from the kill switch, not from the ignitor.Since you said coils fire manually, why don't you make a jumper wire from battery positive to coils direct ( the orange/white wire at coils ), bypassing the harness and see if you get spark. Send a PM to member blowerbike- he likes ignitors.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin