1981 Suzuki GS650E carb problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 Suzuki GS650E carb problems

Hi I recently got a 1981 Suzuki GS650E from my uncle only has 4,700 miles and it hasn't been ran since 1989 or at least that's what the license plate says on the bike, I replaced the plugs and put a new battery in as well as put premium fuel in, IT FIRED RIGHT UP! but now it seems that I have to keep the choke partially out to get it to keep running and when I go to rev it hard, anything above 5,500-6,000 rpm it bogs almost completely down and loses almost all power. I'm guessing its clogged jets especially since I have been putting Marvel Oil and carb cleaner in with every gallon of gas, I know this trick worked with another bike of mine to get it cleaned out and it takes about a week or to, to get the jets cleaned out, but what else can I do? or what do you guys think is wrong?

Originally posted by cameron View Post
    Hi I recently got a 1981 Suzuki GS650E from my uncle only has 4,700 miles and it hasn't been ran since 1989 or at least that's what the license plate says on the bike, I replaced the plugs and put a new battery in as well as put premium fuel in, IT FIRED RIGHT UP! but now it seems that I have to keep the choke partially out to get it to keep running and when I go to rev it hard, anything above 5,500-6,000 rpm it bogs almost completely down and loses almost all power. I'm guessing its clogged jets especially since I have been putting Marvel Oil and carb cleaner in with every gallon of gas, I know this trick worked with another bike of mine to get it cleaned out and it takes about a week or to, to get the jets cleaned out, but what else can I do? or what do you guys think is wrong?
    pull the carbs and clean them, it is an easy job, and there is enough info on here to get it right the first time

Comment

Your carbs are dirty, a proper cleaning setting and sync is needed.

Comment

Can anybody also explain this "automatic" petcock thing to me to? and what each setting on it is? ON, RES, and PRI?

Comment

Can anybody also explain this "automatic" petcock thing to me to? and what each setting on it is? ON, RES, and PRI?
          on is well on, res is reserve and Pri is prime you really only use that after you do work on carbs and drain float bowls you switch to prime and it releases vac lock and allows fuel to fill the bowls

Comment

..., I replaced the plugs and put a new battery in as well as put premium fuel in, IT FIRED RIGHT UP! ... I'm guessing its clogged jets especially since I have been putting Marvel Oil and carb cleaner in with every gallon of gas, I know this trick worked with another bike of mine to get it cleaned out and it takes about a week or to, to get the jets cleaned out, but what else can I do? or what do you guys think is wrong?
            First thing that is "wrong" is your use of "premium" gas. Get rid of that stuff, your bike does NOT need it.

Second thing to do is to properly strip, dip and refresh your carbs. Did you get a welcome package from BassCliff? It's all explained in there.

ON is where you should leave the petcock most of the time. Note that the lever is pointing down in this position.

When you are riding and the tank gets low, you will apparently run out of gas. Move the lever forward (clockwise) to the REServe position, you will have about one more gallon of gas available.

If, for some silly reason, you don't have a chance to ride your bike for several weeks, or after rebuilding your carbs and you know the float bowls are empty, move the lever to the PRIme position (lever rotated anti-clockwise, toward the rear) for about a minute to fill the float bowls before starting the bike. Be sure to move the lever back to the ON position before you forget it.

In normal operation, the petcock is spring-loaded in the OFF position. When the engine starts, vacuum from the intake manifold pulls on a diaphragm in the petcock to open it up, allowing fuel flow. As long as the engine is running, the petcock is ON. When you stop the engine at the end of the ride, it automatically turns itself OFF.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X