Throttle Lag /w Aftermarket Coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throttle Lag /w Aftermarket Coils

I've been rebuilding my 1983 GS550ED, and just finished cleaning and rebuilding my carburetors. I purchased and installed new Accel Super Coil ignition coils, and the install went smoothly. After I got the bike fired up, however, I noticed a lag in the throttle. I put on the throttle and it seems to sputter a little and not accelerate as much as I'm used to it doing. I checked and all of the cylinders are getting spark, and I dont have any sort of vacuum leak on the intake. I should include the fact that there was a warning on the coils that said that it may cause a "lean fuel condition" because of the "hotter spark", and needed larger jets on the carbs.

Do you think it's actually the coils causing the mixture to run lean, or could something else be wrong? This may be a big "duh", but I don't know what to do in this case. Can I get larger jets for the stock Mikuni carbs? Will I need bigger, better aftermarket carbs? Do they even make aftermarket carbs for the GS550E?

It's with the carbs, not the ign coils

Comment

How far have you ridden it? Won't be coils. That quote is BS.

Could be still flushing cleaner from the carbs, could be you need to adjust pilot screw, could be you didn't set float height right...
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
        How far have you ridden it? Won't be coils. That quote is BS.

Could be still flushing cleaner from the carbs, could be you need to adjust pilot screw, could be you didn't set float height right...
        Those are all definite possibilities. It has been improving, and to answer your question only about 2-3 miles. When I cleaned the carbs, though, I didn't touch the pilot screw (knew I'd probably mess it up). I did however, take off the floats when I dipped the carbs and I may have screwed that up. Will my Hayne's manual describe how and to what height the floats need to be at?

Comment

I should also note that it gets slightly better as the bike warms up, and whenever i engage the choke it fixes it almost completely, but ends up making the bike rev way too high.

I took it on a test ride and it would sputter and drop revs if i put on too much throttle, but again, pulling the choke while riding made the problem go away and I was able to put on as much throttle as I cared to.

Hope this development makes it a little more specific.

Comment

No expert, but sounds as though you're not getting enough gas. Is your petcock old? Try driving it on prime and see if there is a difference. terrylee

Comment

Originally posted by GS550ED View Post
              I should also note that it gets slightly better as the bike warms up, and whenever i engage the choke it fixes it almost completely, but ends up making the bike rev way too high.

I took it on a test ride and it would sputter and drop revs if i put on too much throttle, but again, pulling the choke while riding made the problem go away and I was able to put on as much throttle as I cared to.

Hope this development makes it a little more specific.

This bikes will need at least 2 minutes on choke before it runs well.
              If it is still short of breath off idle then turn out the idle screws.

Going up one increment in mains should not hurt either. canadain bikes are jetted richer than american one thanks to the EPA and CARB.

Comment

Did you replace all the other O rings? There are O rings on those mixture screws you should have replaced plus that passage could well be blocked.

Sounds like it's your issue or something to do with the floats.

Your manual should give you the float height (prob 21mm to the step on the float - search for a pic here as to how to measure them).
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Ditto, it's the carbs, not the coils

It appears you may not have followed the complete carb cleaning process, which includes the mixture needle being removed and new O rings all around

Go here

Get a factory manual and read the tutorials on carb cleaning and tuning

Also, did you have your airbox off, or install pods, while you were having trouble revving up the engine?
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                    Did you replace all the other O rings? There are O rings on those mixture screws you should have replaced plus that passage could well be blocked.

Sounds like it's your issue or something to do with the floats.

Your manual should give you the float height (prob 21mm to the step on the float - search for a pic here as to how to measure them).
                    I couldn't find a place that sold rebuild kits (or any parts at all) for the GS550ED's carbs, so I just cleaned everything up the best I could and reinstalled it.

I think I may have gone full retard and messed with the screw that holds the needle jet/jet needle. Other than that I didn't touch any of the adjustment devices. I did however separate the two carbs. I read that they probably need to be synced now?

Is there any place that sells components to carbs for GS bikes? I'd like to try JEEPRUSTY's suggestion and upgrade the jet.

Comment

Originally posted by terrylee View Post
                      No expert, but sounds as though you're not getting enough gas. Is your petcock old? Try driving it on prime and see if there is a difference. terrylee
                      Tried that, no difference. The petcock appears newer than a lot of the other components as well. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Comment

Originally posted by GS550ED View Post
                        I couldn't find a place that sold rebuild kits (or any parts at all) for the GS550ED's carbs, so I just cleaned everything up the best I could and reinstalled it.

I think I may have gone full retard and messed with the screw that holds the needle jet/jet needle. Other than that I didn't touch any of the adjustment devices. I did however separate the two carbs. I read that they probably need to be synced now?

Is there any place that sells components to carbs for GS bikes? I'd like to try JEEPRUSTY's suggestion and upgrade the jet.
                        Go to www.cycleorings.com and order your orings from Rob Barr who's a member here. Might want to check everything else out from your mega-welcome to see what else needs doing. You won't do yourself wrong if you get all that done.
                        sigpic
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                          Go to www.cycleorings.com and order your orings from Rob Barr who's a member here. Might want to check everything else out from your mega-welcome to see what else needs doing. You won't do yourself wrong if you get all that done.
                          Just ordered a set right now- great deal they have there. I went to a dealer today and got replacement main jets (went 1 size up as JEEPRUSTY suggested, got 97.5s and 100s). I think I may have screwed up and switched the main jets, which probably contributed to the problem. I also ordered new float valves and valve needles as the valve needle was scored very badly. Once I get them put in I'll give the carbs another go. I'd order new jet needles too but they seem to be discontinued...

Am I correct in assuming that the jet needle is non-adjustable? I took it apart and the little clip on it only had one position.

Comment

Another question. Does anyone with a similiar model year GS550E know the nomenclature/name/model of carburetors are used in the 1983 ED? My Hayne's manual neglects to mention this.

I can't find jet needles for the carbs because Bikebandit says they're discontinued...

Scratch that, wasn't looking hard enough.

So far I have ordered: new idle jets, float valves/needles, the O-ring kit, and jet needles. I've also upgraded the main jets. I hope this will do it.
                            Last edited by Guest; 05-12-2011, 08:42 PM. Reason: Posted before thinking

Comment

You can raise the needles if you need to by shimming. Plenty of info on the site about that. Do a search.

Comment

Working...
                              X