No spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No spark

I just bought a 1980 Suzuki GS 1100E. Iwas told when I bough it that the only problem was no spark and a bad battery. Just bought a new battery. What all is involved in checking for spark? Working backwards I have replaced the spark plugs, ignition coils are next. what is next?

Plugs, wires, coils, Ignition box, trigger unit & any connection in between.

Also there might be really low voltage to the coils so it can't spark. There is a fix for that with addition of a relay. Posplayr has posted most details about it.

It's liable that it's the Ignitor box... lots of info here.

It's very probable you are going to need to clean the carbs & replace all the O rings, possibly re-seal the airbox, de-rust the tank, check the petcock is working.

Replacing brake lines & cleaning all the crud out of the calipers behind the pistons is also a very worthwhile exercise.

I assume it's been sitting some time....?
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Welcome aboard. Now don't be too hasty to replace things, you need to rule them out by testing. They really aren't plug and pray like modern bikes or cars. It would also help if you gave us a bit of information on yourself and abilities. some of this stuff gets a wee bit complicated if you have no mechanical background.

The very first thing is ensuring you have a good fully charged battery. Just because its new doesn't mean its good so don't assume that. To test any electrical issues you will need a good multimeter and a circuit test light and the wiring diagram for your bike. A manual too is helpful and if you don't have one they are available on Basscliff's website. He'll be along shortly to give you details Do you know how to use those tools?

Before you even get to testing, you also need to make sure all contacts are clean and tight. Grounds are especially important. As the voltage from the battery takes a route to get to the coil and igniter (or points if you have them) you will need to check voltage at certain points in these circuits. The wiring diagram will show you what you need to follow and check.

Start at the battery and make sure all terminals are clean and tight going to the fuse block and starter motor. As voltage flows through the "kill switch" and starter button make sure that the contacts in this switch are clean and bright. Check for voltage at the coils. The positive coil will be fed by an orange/white lead. You should have voltage close to the resting battery voltage although a sligh drop is common.

There are two tests for the coils and these should be detailed in your manual. You will need to check this. they will tell if the coils are good. Don't just junk them until you check.

There will also be information on how to check your igniter and or points so read over these and do them to see if these are at fault.

Take it one step at a time and be as thorough as you can. It helps to be methodical and don't jump around. do some searches here and get a sense of how things are done. Its not hard but can be confusing depending on your experience.

Start by cleaning your contacts and check your coil voltages.

Report back and when you get the time post some pics. Its kind of mandatory around here

Good luck with it and enjoy!

Cheers,
      Spyug

Comment

Let me introduce myself then. My name is Lee, I live in Orem Utah. I am mechanically smart, but have never taken any classes or schooling for it. I should and will soon. I have alot of experience tearing apart cars, motorcycles and lately have torn apart and rebuilt 2 engines. One is a 1998 jeep wrangler 4 cylinder and the other is a 1995 Toyota truck 4 cylinder. Compared to those this is cake. Nothing I have read so far has been over my head so don't be gentle with me. I can take it. The bike has been sitting for about a year and a half. Previous owner said it was running at one point and then just stopped, parked it planning in fixing it then he bought a sportster. So the GS just sat till he wanted it gone. Got it for cheap soni could fix it up and feel proud about it. I wish I could find a good website that could break down old VIN numbers. I am not sure if this bike is a GS1100E or a GS1100L. Any other facts would be awesome. I will put pics up soon. Thanks for all the help so far. I have a nights worth of work ahead of me. I'll keep it updated.

Comment

Working...
        X