Thread: burning up bulbs in new tailight setup

whiterabbitt Guest

Default burning up bulbs in new tailight setup

the lights

the converter

the result-old school integrated taillights

the problem: I keep burning up the running light element in the 1157 bulbs (every 5 to 10 days), a coworker says they brighten as I accelerate. The brake lights are slow to come on but turn signals work fine.
    Where should I start? Im not real good with electronics sooo... a little help please?

and hows it look, I am going to put a backing plate behind them to help hide the wires and fill the gap.

posplayr is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

get a volt meter and do a quick test

Want to just get a feel for how the charging is working? Do a Quick_Test
    Read about Charging Quick Test GS Charging Health GS Stator

"The smallest giant of mankind, is he who stands on the shoulders of a larger giant who himself stands on the shoulders of yet a larger giant, and therefore sees the most light from GOD." Posplayr 2017 adapted from : Bernard of Chartres

whiterabbitt Guest

thanks, I will start there.

BassCliff Guest

Smile

Hi,

It sounds like your regulator is not regulating properly. Do you have separate rectifier and regulator units? Perhaps a run through the Stator Papers is in order.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Oh no, a trailer lighting gizmo! plenty of chances to miswire, but check your charging system first- I'd disconnect my lighting circuit to do the testing ,just in case.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

whiterabbitt Guest

all original wiring, electronics with the exception of the flasher relay as far as I can tell, up to the tailpeice where the "gizmo" was a straight forward wire in once I discovered that I had redundant factory grounding.

got the fluke meter out, printed off the stator papers and the quick check, now if only it would stop raining...(no garage)

Quote Originally Posted by whiterabbitt View Post
    all original wiring, electronics with the exception of the flasher relay as far as I can tell, up to the tailpeice where the "gizmo" was a straight forward wire in once I discovered that I had redundant factory grounding.

got the fluke meter out, printed off the stator papers and the quick check, now if only it would stop raining...(no garage)
    Raining there too! In Maine, we have just about forgot that there is a sun. Yeah, don't check AC voltages when standing in puddles- you might get unusual results.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

whiterabbitt Guest

UPDATE: After replacing the r/r and getting all good reads with the voltmeter I was still burning bulbs. so after a great many headaches I got a bright Idea and turned the lights over and viola! problem solved. It seems that 1157 bulbs dont like to be mounted upside down, only upright or horizontal. who knew?