One Hundred and Fifty Five Feet!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One Hundred and Fifty Five Feet!

GSExpress and myself just got back from a small catastrophe.
    After getting the carbs all running in top shape on my 850, we just HAD to go for a ride.
    We went down a road that I hadn't been on in many years and even then, just once.
    After a 65 mph turn (ya, the road is marked 50 mph speed limit.), I heard a clunk, clunk, screech, clunk and the rear wheel locked up.
    I did not apply any brakes as it was already locked up obviously and after a little fish-tailing left, right, left, right, I stopped.
    The bike TRIED to cross-over the front fork and lay me down to no avail. LOL!
    All of those years riding dirt bikes, paid off!
    After he noticed my disappearance, he turned around and found me.
    We rocked the bike back and forth and it would still go into gear so...
    I rode it towards home at a high of 35 mph with it squealing, screeching and clunking until it locked up again.
    Then, rocked it back and forth again and freed up whatever it was and off again!
    After several more episodes of it locking up again and again, breaking it free and riding some more, it finally started to continue screaming constantly.
    By then, 4-5 miles, we had made it to an empty Volunteer Fire station where the gearbox started smoking and I parked the bike.
    GSExpress took his 1100 back to his place and got his truck and ramp to load the bike up.
    After getting it home, we took off the side cover and parts fell out.
    The bearings that hold the bevel gear in had disintegrated.Nothing that can't be fixed.

I paced the skid mark and GSExpress took some pic's with his cell phone:

The carnage:

Ride safe!

Daniel
    Last edited by Guest; 05-23-2011, 02:08 AM.

Glad you made it, sounds almost too similar to my near crash where motocross skills saved me. Not too many people know how to slide the back tire around to the front. Bet you wish you had the camera for this one!

Comment

I never leave without a camera.
      Of course, EXCEPT for this ride!
      I was just finishing buttoning up the air filters and didn't even grab my wallet.
      We were just going for a short spin.
      Then, after a fuel stop, we were off and running.
      GSExpress thinks that a short ride is a hundred miles or less.

Daniel

Comment

As a casual rider for many years, I have often often thought of that situation, as well as a blowout.

Awesome job!!

Comment

Originally posted by Vmass View Post
          As a casual rider for many years, I have often often thought of that situation, as well as a blowout.

Awesome job!!
          I had a rear tire blowout on a Honda CB450 with passenger on the back at 70 mph. Nothing I'd ever care to repeat again. Luckily the wheel never locked up and I was able to steadily slow without the use of brakes.

This 150 feet must've been one hell of a wild ride.
          sigpic
          Steve
          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

I guess that this happens all of the time around here?

Daniel

Comment

Was there any oil in the gear assembly ?? IS this for your 850?
              I have a spare set..
              Last edited by Guest; 05-23-2011, 08:23 PM.

Comment

So whats the deal here, how did you save it.
                Whatss the techniue for a panic situation like that?

Whaat would sticker tires have done for instance.
                Do you modulate the rear brake in case the lock up suddnely ceases?

Just wondering
                congrats on saving it btw.

Comment

Maybe not all the time but it does happen.
                  Not to sully your feat, but you did exactly what you should have done to keep it upright. Good onya. Did you guys put oil in the secondary drive? Check for leaks?
                  Steves sons 850 did the same, froze up the bevel gears because it was low on oil. He locked it up in front of a Sherriff. Good luck explaining that one. Heheh. Shame they blew up, the bevels. Some oil added might have saved that. Then again the bearings may have been what seized. Easy to fix though and you'll have her back on the road in no time flat.

Comment

Anywho, yes it was filled with oil.
                    When we hit the first fun turns, I felt a back-lash that felt like a non-adjusted chain on a chain-drive bike.
                    I didn't think too much of it.
                    It was a bunch more than my 1000G has though and that is what struck me as strange. THAT WAS MY WARNING SIGNAL.
                    So, today, I stared to clean the remaining debris out with magnets and flushing with brake cleaner and tons of compressed air:

I removed another assembly from one of my spare 850 engines and cleaned it up:

The side cover shows some wear from where the sealing cup had scraped against it:

All back together with the cheapo Spirex 80/90W gear oil to continue flushing any remaining crap:

Now, to go for a test ride and after about 30-50 miles, it will be drained again and replaced with Synthetic 85W-140 gear oil again.

Ride safe!

Daniel
                    Last edited by Guest; 05-24-2011, 12:49 AM.

Comment

Well that was quick. I use magnets from computer HDs to get irksome bits of metal lifted. A trick which many here will already know, is to put the magnet in an old sock. This avids the impossible task of getting the magnet clean.

Comment

What does that rear tire look like after that 150 foot skid? Any flat spots?
                        sigpic
                        Steve
                        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                          What does that rear tire look like after that 150 foot skid? Any flat spots?
                          Oh, ya.
                          I'll try to post a pic in a little bit.

Daniel

Comment

Even after cleaning with some windex, it is not very photogenic.
                            I did put about 30 miles on it yesterday.

Daniel

Comment

Your mail box is full... $70 + shipping

Comment

Working...
                              X