No announcement yet.

One Hundred and Fifty Five Feet!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow. this is the reason i dont have my 81 1100 goldwing anymore. 75mph crossing a bridge and the trans bearings failed without warning (a month prior had water pump failure.even thoroughly flushed everything). my accident would have been worse if i had been on even level ground, not headed uphill off the bridge. i never made it to work that morning, and the bike didnt survive it.

Comment

HOLY CRAP.....BATDAN!!! Glad to see your ok!!
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Skill and good luck saved you. Glad you're OK.
        sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Fire in the airbox, followed by a locked up rear wheel. Hmm, sounds like somebody's out to get you ! Glad you're okay.
          Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
          Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
          1983 GS 750

Comment

The drive shaft lock up is old news. LOL! ('80 GS850G)
            Thanks for all of the kind comments.
            It just came naturally after all of these years riding. Especially dirt bikes.
            Didn't even raise my blood pressure.

The airbox fire is still somewhat of a mystery. ('81 GS1000G)
            The O-rings on the fuel needle/seat assemblies were a little shrunken and dry.
            And... that's about it. Perhaps some extra fuel was getting past them?

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post

I removed another assembly from one of my spare 850 engines and cleaned it up:

All back together with the cheapo Spirex 80/90W gear oil to continue flushing any remaining crap:

Now, to go for a test ride and after about 30-50 miles, it will be drained again and replaced with Synthetic 85W-140 gear oil again.
              The manuals indicate and I have always heard that shimming to proper backlash and tooth contact for the secondary gears is crucial. Was that an issue for you?

Also, were you able to determine why the bearings disintegrated? That ain't normal. Could they have been run dry for some period in the bike's history? Some sort of misalignment?
              Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
              80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
                The manuals indicate and I have always heard that shimming to proper backlash and tooth contact for the secondary gears is crucial. Was that an issue for you?

Also, were you able to determine why the bearings disintegrated? That ain't normal. Could they have been run dry for some period in the bike's history? Some sort of misalignment?
                Backlash: using the old shims and the shims from the spare engine, I was able to set the backlash nearly perfect.
                Applied some white grease to the secondary gear, installed, turned rear wheel in gear, removed and checked pattern until correct.
                I was lucky and only had to re-use the old shims from the destroyed set.
                No adjustment was necessary, basically.

Bearings: When I first got the bike, I drained all fluids and replaced.
                The secondary drive looked more like milk (water in it) so I rode it about 50-100 miles with 80W-90 and drained it again.
                Then, filled it with 75W-140 Synthetic and thought that it would be good to go for at least 50,000 miles.
                Apparently, the damage was already caused by the previous owners and their lack of maintenance.

Daniel

Comment

Dirt biking saved another life, good to hear!

Something that should be required for an MC endorsement!
                  (but I suppose it would be a little difficult or expensive, lol)

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
                    Dirt biking saved another life, good to hear!
                    Something that should be required for an MC endorsement!
                    I agree 1,000,000,000% and also all cagers should be required to ride a street bike for a few months before they can drive a car/truck.
                    That would save countless lives AND everyone would drive MUCH SAFER.

JMHO,

Daniel

Comment

I just need to jump in here and say that if you had used the front brake while your rear was locked you would have stopped quicker. No sense in skidding down the road any longer than necessary.
                      NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                      Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Originally posted by 1980GS1000E View Post
                        I just need to jump in here and say that if you had used the front brake while your rear was locked you would have stopped quicker. No sense in skidding down the road any longer than necessary.
                        That would be a really wise move with the back end trying to come around.
                        Go ahead and try it if your chain breaks and binds up the rear. Get back with the results please.

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                          That would be a really wise move with the back end trying to come around.
                          Go ahead and try it if your chain breaks and binds up the rear. Get back with the results please.

Daniel
                          Please explain. I have no off-the-road experience. It would seem to me that the back end comes around because friction between the rear wheel and pavement is very high, while there is almost none between front wheel and pavement. Nearly locking the front wheel would seen to at least balance the situation. Weight shift to the front would reduce friction at the rear. In threads on braking, a few GSers report that they rarely use rear brakes.
                          sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
                            Please explain. I have no off-the-road experience. It would seem to me that the back end comes around because friction between the rear wheel and pavement is very high, while there is almost none between front wheel and pavement. Nearly locking the front wheel would seen to at least balance the situation. Weight shift to the front would reduce friction at the rear. In threads on braking, a few GSers report that they rarely use rear brakes.

I think it is the other way around. Your rear tire is sliding on a layer of melted rubber. It should be les friction.

I do not know for sure. Although when dirtbiking on ground or snow/ ice, if the rear wheel is trying to swap ends with the front, hitting the front brake is a good way to fall.
                            1983 750 Katana
                            1982 750 Katana (parts use)
                            1983 RZ350

Comment

Just go with the skid... It all depends on the road,weight of the rider,angle of the rider/bike. Etc.. There is NO way to predict how the bike is going jerk/skid/jump/bounce until it happens! Maybe the front brake would have helped maybe not, Iv'e ridden dirt bikes also for years and the unconstant of the dirt/gravel and brakes/presure ALL comes into play. I've had a chain brake and lock the back wheel ON DIRT and the only thing that kept be from eating dirt was my fred flintstone legs.... Ive also had a rear wheel lock up (Rear Brake issue) on the street downhill at about 70mph and it was hold on keep it straight as possible (NO Front brake) and all was well unitil I slowed down to about 10-15mph and was starting to go into a cruve she came around.. It wasnt bad and the only thing that saved me at the higher speed was YES my dirt bike/dirt adventure... They don't call me Rkt-Rch or is that rickety Rich for nothing.... LOL

ALL in ALL you were lucky, skill was a big factor but it looked like a flat/straight road that I'm sure played a factor. Just think if it would have locked up then let loose then locked up again we could be talking to a road rashed GS Rider.

Im glad to see it went good and the bike made it. LOL Sometimes I scare myself when I ride always thinking what if's.... Then again I always try to mentally prepare for the what if's!

Enough said great job saving it.

The only reason I wrote this is because I just went out on a 100+ mile ride this weekend and noticed my bike doing the contant throttle jerk thing and then said to myself (Check the chain) and I always make sure to lube/adjust/etc... and what did I see at about 30miles out from my house! My chain about ready to come off..... I nursed it home and parked it boy was that a close call!
                              Im done adjusting it it time for a NEW chain/sprockets....
                              Last edited by Guest; 10-19-2011, 07:44 PM.

Comment

I had the same thing happen to me about three years ago. I was only doing about 50 or so in a straight line. I rode it out without using the front brake. I have almost no dirt bike experience, but I'd been riding street bikes for almost 50 years and had steered out of a few skids along the way. I used the front wheel to control direction and counteract what the back was doing. Once the skid started the front and rear were not lined up; there is a sideways element to the slide. It all happened too fast for me to think about what I needed to do. It was all instinct, right or wrong.
                                Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
                                80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Working...
                                X